Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking LSAT in NYC, no car to leave my phone in

csb171819csb171819 Alum Member
in General 28 karma
Basically, I am taking a cab to staten island and will need my phone to call another cab to get home to Brooklyn. I can't leave my phone in my car if I don't have a car, and if I don't bring it at all, should I just ask someone, like one of the proctors, if I can use their phone at the end of the LSAT, so I can get home? A trivial issue, but I would prefer not to be stranded....

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited November 2016 11542 karma
    @csb171819 said:
    if I don't bring it at all, should I just ask someone, like one of the proctors, if I can use their phone at the end of the LSAT, so I can get home?
    It looks like you either should do this, or ask one of the proctors to hold on to your phone until the end of the exam. Seems risky, depending on how strict the proctor is. So if it's necessary to bring your phone, bring it and ask a proctor to hold onto it. If it's not so necessary, I think you're better off going without a phone. Crazy how dependent we ( me anyway) are dependent on our phones lol. The inner 90s kid in me is laughing.
  • csb171819csb171819 Alum Member
    edited November 2016 28 karma
    Crazy how dependent we ( me anyway) are dependent on our phones lol. The inner 90s kid in me is laughing.
    I know, I was thinking the same thing! I may just leave it, take a bus a day or two before and familiarize myself with the campus. Then take a cab in the day of and take the bus back home. Thanks for the feedback though, just had a late night panic moment.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @csb171819 said:
    I may just leave it, take a bus a day or two before and familiarize myself with the campus
    VERY good call. Last thing you want is to be unfamiliar with your test location. It just calls for unwanted stress. All the best! :)
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited November 2016 4196 karma
    Just ask someone if you can use their phone, or perhaps go to an office in the building you're taking the test at and ask to use a phone. I wouldn't risk taking it and having a chance of getting caught.

It's really not that bad.. I took the LSAT here in NYC, didn't have a car to leave my phone in so just left it at home and I'm alive! :D
  • annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
    76 karma
    @csb171819 do not take your phone. No proctor will hold on to it for you. You are not allowed to have it past the check-in point. One time I took the LSAT it was pouring and they wouldn't let us take our umbrellas past the check-in point.
    I would just take public transport or find a pay phone (they still exist!) or find an office at the school or college you're taking at and ask to use their phone... but do not bring your phone!!!
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    @annaantonova1009 said:
    One time I took the LSAT it was pouring and they wouldn't let us take our umbrellas past the check-in point.
    For those of us whose clothing has pockets, must we turn all pockets inside out? What about thick outerwear like parkas during the winter months?
  • annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
    76 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    For those of us whose clothing has pockets, must we turn all pockets inside out? What about thick outerwear like parkas during the winter months?
    I've never taken it in December or February, but I think the time i was referring to (it was last October) they had a rack to hang your outerwear before check-in. I imagine you can probably leave your phone in the pocket of your coat, but every test center might have a different set up. For NYLS it was literally at the very entrance to the LS before check-in. Not sure you'd want to leave your phone there since nobody is watching your stuff and people are coming in and out. For another center this rack could be in the testing room, in which case I wouldn't risk leaving my phone there in the off-chance it goes off.

I've never seen them check pockets but I think NYLS, for example, had metal detectors. (I honestly i repressed this memory so hard that details are hazy). I believe metal detectors could detect cell phones. Of course, you might be in a center that doesn't check pockets or use metal detectors and you might be able to completely get away with bringing in a phone. But I personally wouldn't take that risk because for me the convenience of having a phone doesn't outweigh the risk of not being admitted or being disqualified.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @TheMikey said:
    Just ask someone if you can use their phone, or perhaps go to an office in the building you're taking the test at and ask to use a phone. I wouldn't risk taking it and having a chance of getting caught.

It's really not that bad.. I took the LSAT here in NYC, didn't have a car to leave my phone in so just left it at home and I'm alive! :D
    This.

Don't risk it. It isn't like you'll be stranded in Antartica. You can hail a taxi with just a wave of the arm and strangers always let me use their phones in NYC whenever I've needed.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Also check with some of the corner shops, some have place you can drop your phone for a small fee. Or the school might have one of those charging lockers where you can leave your phone.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Also check with some of the corner shops, some have place you can drop your phone for a small fee. Or the school might have one of those charging lockers where you can leave your phone.
    This is an interesting idea!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    This is an interesting idea!
    Yeah one of my previous study buddies did this when she took it in NYC (I think). I guess a lot of the corner shops have lockers for cell phones because the high schools dont allow cells on campus.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Yeah one of my previous study buddies did this when she took it in NYC (I think). I guess a lot of the corner shops have lockers for cell phones because the high schools dont allow cells on campus.
    I'm an NYCer and had no idea! That makes perfect sense! :)
  • LSATShinobiLSATShinobi Free Trial Member
    236 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    yup. I used to do this in High school because my high school had metal detectors and didn't allow cell phones in the building. I completely forgot I used to do this lol I actually forgot my phone in that store a couple times and had to get it back the next day lmao
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATShinobi said:
    yup. I used to do this in High school because my high school had metal detectors and didn't allow cell phones in the building. I completely forgot I used to do this lol I actually forgot my phone in that store a couple times and had to get it back the next day lmao
    Haha That is awesome! Did the charge to keep it?
  • LSATShinobiLSATShinobi Free Trial Member
    236 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Haha That is awesome! Did the charge to keep it?
    Yeah I believe it was like a dollar if I remember correctly
  • csb171819csb171819 Alum Member
    28 karma
    Thanks for all the advice, I do not plan on bringing my phone, I was only concerned due to the fact that I have never been to Staten Island and the fact that there is no subway from BK to Staten. In retrospect, I should have just signed up for the Brooklyn college location, though it is farther I am more familiar with the subway system than NYC buses.