Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

staying hotel vs commute for about 1 hour

icecreamparfaiticecreamparfait Free Trial Member
in General 82 karma
Hello,

I was wondering which is better in terms of:
-sleep well
-no anxiety on the test day

Is it better to stay in a hotel close to the test center for a day or two, or commute from home?
What are you going to do?

Thanks,

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    An hour is a lot of time to lose on a commute. I'd opt for the hotel personally. For my liking, there's just too much that could happen that could turn an hour commute into a really stressful situation.
  • icecreamparfaiticecreamparfait Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    @"Cant Get Right"
    Where do you usually find a hotel? Do you know any websites?
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Hotel hands down.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Hotel if you have the means.
  • sweezyseasonsweezyseason Member
    262 karma
    @mw393730 try priceline theres usually good deals on there
    82 karma
    Thanks,
    I just did some search and it's...ehh...I don't know.
    Are any of you going to stay in a hotel?
    11542 karma
    @mw393730 said:
    Are any of you going to stay in a hotel?
    I'm not only because I know my test center very well (it's my alma mater) and there's 0 issues arriving to the location/parking. Have you visited your center before?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Hotel. I am not going to stay in one because my test center is literally within walking distance of my apartment.

An hour commute is just un-needlessly stressful. Too many unknown variables from car trouble, to traffic, to getting lost, etc.

Also, staying in a hotel will let you sleep a bit more the morning of and give you more time for any morning rituals.

I usually just look for deals online. Perhaps even try AirBnb... I also think if you have AAA car service, you can get Day's Inn and Holiday Inn Express for a good discount.
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Perhaps even try AirBnb
    Hahahahahaha
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Hahahahahaha
    ;)
    82 karma
    I just did some quick search again. There's a subway station 2 blocks away from the test center (on the map it says it'll take about 38 min. to get there but I often take more time...)
    but if I stay in a hotel it'll be 30 minutes walk I guess...not sure which is better now.
    Is there usually a hotel close to a test center? I do not usually stay in a hotel so maybe I did not search well...
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @mw393730 If you are going to stay in a hotel just make sure you stay more than one night if I remember correctly I read somewhere our brains does not fully fall sleep in a new environment as it takes at least a night for our brains to realize that our surrounding is safe.
    82 karma
    @"Not Ralph Nader"
    That's good to know, thanks.
  • zkchrumzzkchrumz Free Trial Member
    164 karma
    I'd recommend against the hotel. I'm opting for the drive myself. Had a nightmare scenario last time with a hotel. At home, much less can go wrong. I'll have enough trouble sleeping as it is, without worrying about loud people partying, dogs barking, fire alarms being pulled, etc. My personal suggestion only.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @zkchrumz said:
    I'd recommend against the hotel. I'm opting for the drive myself. Had a nightmare scenario last time with a hotel. At home, much less can go wrong. I'll have enough trouble sleeping as it is, without worrying about loud people partying, dogs barking, fire alarms being pulled, etc. My personal suggestion only.
    Good point.... A lot can go wrong with a hotel. Sounds like you stayed at a damn resort, haha.
    82 karma
    @zkchrumz
    Thanks,
    Sounds like kind of similar suggestion as Nader's...so if you are not familiar with the place it may actually hurt you.
    (my neighbor is actually pretty noisy and I could not sleep at all at first...but now I'm already accustomed to it and it does not bother me anymore.)

By the way, any thoughts about using melatonin? the sleeping pill? Do you think it helps or hurts you?
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    I'm planning on staying at a hotel the night before the February test. The test center that I'm planning on registering for is 30ish minutes away from my place, at least according to Google Maps. My reasoning is mostly due to the variables at play. I live in the North East, so it isn't out of the question for us to get a significant snow that could wreck havoc with travel times. So, as long as I can find a hotel within a 15min drive of the test site, I'll book that.

Granted, I travel a lot for work, so sleeping in a hotel isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence for me. I bring my pillow from home, ear plugs, and whatever items I need for the next day (breakfast, snack, caffeine, etc). I don't tend to have issues with falling asleep at hotels either.

As far as sites to find hotels, I use Hotels.com, Travelocity.com, Orbitz.com, and Priceline.com.

I wouldn't mess with sleeping pills unless if you have the opportunity to give them a dry run. I would be concerned about feeling groggy the next day.
    edited November 2016 82 karma
    @cam
    Thanks,
    Oh right...you have to bring all of the stuff including breakfast and...yeah maybe everything I need in the morning.
    But if you stay at a hotel that means you can just leave all of your stuff there and just bring the plastic bag to the test center...Humm, sounds like both have good points.
    Thanks for the websites, those are really helpful. I'll do some search.
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    I'm planning on leaving everything except for the plastic bag stuff in my car. If you want to leave the rest at the hotel, I'd check before booking if they can hold luggage for you until a certain time (e.g. after the test). Most of the hotels I have stayed at have check out times by noon.
    82 karma
    @cam
    Thanks for the info.
    In that case I might need to take another stay...I don't know...
  • ONELovelyLadyONELovelyLady Member
    23 karma
    I live in a city where the average daily commute is an hour each way, so driving sounds fine to me! However, you should do what makes you feel the most comfortable. I would personally want to sleep in my own bed.