Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR-how much time should we give?

LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
in General 250 karma
Hi

So I asked my professor to write a letter and she said yes, but until I take the test she will not write one for me...
Does this happen to you?
Because if after the test, it takes a month to see the result and if she starts to write a letter after that it will take more time.
In fact, the other day when I asked her she said she may not be able to write depending on the deadline.
so...when should I ask her then?
I'm not even sure when I will take the test...

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Are you applying for this cycle or next? If you're applying this cycle with a February test, you're probably going to need to find an alternate writer. If you take next week, you can probably just inform her of your score--and your app deadlines--the moment you get your score. If you're applying for next cycle, you're way ahead of the game. Take your time on your LSAT; get your best score possible; inform her when you've got your scores.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    Hi

So I asked my professor to write a letter and she said yes, but until I take the test she will not write one for me...
    Does this happen to you?
    Because if after the test, it takes a month to see the result and if she starts to write a letter after that it will take more time.
    In fact, the other day when I asked her she said she may not be able to write depending on the deadline.
    Hey,

I would try to choose another professor, to be honest. This way if she takes too long to get the letter in, you'll have another letter ready to go.

Did she give you any specific reasons as to why she won't write one until after the test?

I've never heard of a professor refusing to write a letter until after the LSAT. Mine wrote mine before I even began prepping for the LSAT and I know numerous people who also requested letters before the LSAT.
    @LSATaker said:
    To me, this sounds like a soft decline; an out if you will. How well do you know this prof? How did she seem when you asked her? Ideally, you want a prof who is actually happy to write you a letter, and she doesn't seem to be.

As far as when to ask, you did the right thing asking far in advance. I have three letters: One took 2-weeks, the other two, about 6-weeks. I have also heard of people who needed to keep following up with profs for several months. It really varies on the prof.
  • LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    250 karma
    @"Cant Get Right"
    @"Alex Divine"

Thanks for your replies.
    I don't know...when I met her, she seemed very happy actually. But she also told that to me too, so not sure which is her honest opinion.
    I was one of the best students in her class...and I thought she liked me too.
    We hug in the end of the conversation but maybe she heard some rumor about me or smt? (from prof who does not really like me?)
    I don't know...but so far this professor is the best professor I know :(
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    Her stance isn't total nonsense: without an LSAT score, it's impossible to say whether you're a viable candidate at your target schools. So her letter might never be used or might not be used until next cycle..

With that said, she could be a flake. Meaning that once you take the LSAT, she'll find a new excuse not to write it. You should try reaching out to 1-2 more profs as an insurance policy.
    250 karma
    @"Stevie C"
    Right...but I wonder why she did not say the same thing when I emailed her 2 days ago bc I still do not have the score but just told her I am going to take the test soon finally (it's 1 year since I last saw her...).
    She seemed very happy when I asked her in the first place but I don't know now...maybe she heard something about me from other professors who do not like me much and changed her opinion I wonder.
  • Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited November 2016 1091 karma
    I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.

If a professor wants to see your LSAT score to determine if you're viable for Law School before they write your letter, would you really want a reference from them? If a professor knows you well enough from the classroom shouldn't they already be in a position to judge your academic capabilities and your viability for Law School? Presumably you've taken a class with them, they know you, they know your work from their class. Why do they need an LSAT score as well? Is that really going to change their opinion about anything?

Hypothetically, even if the LSAT score did change their opinion, how are they going to convey that honestly and openly in a letter? Will they say 'I thought this student was a good student on the basis of the work he did in my class, but his LSAT score is exceptional so now I have a higher opinion of him.'? If I was on an AdCom I'd see that as a red flag - the professor only thought you were 'good' and then waited until they'd seen your LSAT score before writing the glowing LOR. I don't know. I just think there's something a bit weird about wanting to know your LSAT score before they write the letter.

Law schools know your LSAT score. Why would they want a LOR from a professor that spoke about your LSAT score, or a LOR that was influenced by someone's LSAT score? It's just a test score. They want to know about you as a student from the LORs. What has your LSAT score got to do with being Professor Y's student?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Rigid Designator" said:
    Law schools know your LSAT score. Why would they want a LOR from a professor that spoke about your LSAT score, or a LOR that was influenced by someone's LSAT score? It's just a test score. They want to know about you as a student from the LORs. What has your LSAT score got to do with being Professor Y's student?
    Precisely.
    250 karma
    @"Rigid Designator"
    Ah...that's true.
    Um, do you think professors will speak about student's personalities or anything in LOR?
    OR they just speak how students' work in her class and nothing beyond that?
  • Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma
    @"LSATaker" I believe they would speak about personal qualities, yes, since personal qualities are part and parcel of being a student. For example, someone might be a straight A student, but might've also barged in to the LOR writer's office one time and ranted about a grade. That's all relevant stuff for a law school, even if it's not all strictly academic.
    250 karma
    @"Rigid Designator"
    I see...
    Thank you.
    Actually I'm still not sure about the LOR system...I think we have to choose either send to all law school or specify which school to send right? We cannot change this option later? Can we add law school later?
    If we get letters more than 3 can we choose among them? Or will all of them be sent to all schools?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    @"Rigid Designator"
    I see...
    Thank you.
    Actually I'm still not sure about the LOR system...I think we have to choose either send to all law school or specify which school to send right? We cannot change this option later? Can we add law school later?
    If we get letters more than 3 can we choose among them? Or will all of them be sent to all schools?
    You can choose which letters you send to specific schools.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    1. My general rule is to give them 1 1/2 to 2 months after my initial asking of them without ever asking them about it further. Professors usually have a lot on their plates, especially since many serve as several different things within their university.

2. I usually ask a little more professors than I need to exactly for this reason. If I need two, I ask three. This way if one is flakey it won't hurt you, and if you DO get three and can submit three letters to a school than the more the merrier!

3. Is the professor you have taken familiar with the way law school admissions are done? I actually had a rec tell me to ask her for one "when I am applying" and I informed her that the LSAC can save her letter and I can use it either this cycle or next depending on when I ultimately apply. After laying my plan out for her, she was more than happy to write one sooner rather than later. You might want to try explaining this to her if it is an issue for her.

My advice: If you really want to stick with her ask an additional professor in case she flakes. Personally she sounds like she might be a little more trouble than she is worth, and in your situation I(personally) would look for another person to write it. If you are/were an involved student you should have no shortage of viable professors.