Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caffeine on Test Day

dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
edited November 2016 in General 617 karma
Silly question, but I'm fairly addicted to caffeine, and was wondering what the best strategy for caffeine intake on test day is. My concern about drinking a large amount of coffee during breakfast is that I'll have to go to the restroom before the built-in break, or that holding it in will literally distract me from the exam. Are you allowed to bring caffeine pills/5 hour energy type drinks into the exam room (in your ziplock bag)? I was thinking that could be a half-way solution.

Comments

• 308 karma
    As far as caffeine, i did a few days of test run PTs where i would wake up at 6 am and test at 9 am sharp. During those days, I would only drink one bottle of water along with one cup of coffee to see how often I'd have to use the restroom, etc. I found out that that's the perfect amount for me and i only had to go during break every time, which was perfect. Maybe you want to do a test run this week just to see what's the right amount for you?
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    edited November 2016 916 karma
    So this is where doing as many PTs under real testing conditions helps you figure out the volume of caffeine/coffee/etc. that will get you through the first three sections without issues. I had a 16 ounce cup of Americano the morning of and used the restroom right before the test. It worked out on the real test day but I feel like that was only the case because I had taken so many PTs testing for what works best for me. As for the caffeine pills and energy drink question, I'm not actually sure but I definitely wouldn't recommend it if you are not already using it during PTs or if you may crash in your last section.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Just try to consume the normal amount of caffeine. Be wary of those 5 hour energy drinks. That give me this overwhelming hot feeling and make me sick feeling sometimes. So only use them if you have experience taking PTs with them. I used them sometimes during undergrad and realized there was a big difference between drinking one and going to work after class and drinking them and having to sit still for a few hours, haha.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma
    good call Alex - I'm going to take one last PT tomorrow and try the 5 hour energy during the break, and see how it goes. If I feel "off" or different, then I'll probably forego it.
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    I use something called Liquid Caffeine. It is just like the name says, liquid caffeine. If you buy the bottles with pumps, each pump is 83mg. My morning caffeine/energy drink is 2 pumps liquid caffeine, a dropper of B-Vitamin Complex, and then Mio for flavoring. You could easily put that mixture into a plastic bottle of some sort to use during the break.