Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Advice For a Final Stretch?

notguilty90notguilty90 Free Trial Member
in General 56 karma
Hi 7sagers

I'm writing this Dec and possibly Feb from how things have been shaped.
I need some advice from those who have overcome similar problems as mine...
I have been battling LR for the past month or so and I have consistently been only getting around 14-16 right. I speed up to 23 questions, I get 7-8 wrong, I slow down to 18 Q's and still make around 3 mistakes. My goal is to hit atleast 20 on LR and I need some advice on how to get more accurate. As this road block has been keeping me back for sometime! I know one week might not be enough, but still I need a game plan; not just for this week but probably also after Dec for Feb.

Any help would be appreciated...

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2016 8700 karma
    Takes on this exam are precious. The problem you have sketched above is pretty manageable with the right amount of time. Unfortunately, 1 week isn't the right amount of time. You have already outlined the plan to overcome these issues before February. With that being said, I see no reason to still take the December exam.

Please consider postponing until you have solved the issues you outlined above. We here on the boards will be here to help you with any further questions.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @BinghamtonDave said:
    Please consider postponing until you have solved the issues you outlined above. We here on the boards will be here to help you with any further questions.
    This is the best advice you could get at this point and the rest of this comment only applies to you if you have more than one week to study.

As for answering your question I was in a similar situation, the best I could get on LR was 14-15. I managed to improve significantly and score 19-23 on each LR section.

First finish the core curriculum. The next step would be to take a PT and Blind Review (BR) it to see what are your weaknesses. My LR score improved after exclusively focusing on flaw questions for a week. After doing all these use analytics to focus on specific question types that give you trouble. One of best advice that I got was to not waste PTs. PTs are there to show you where you need to focus if you do not BR a PT you just wasted your time and a fresh PT.

Below advice do not apply to you if you are not quiet sure how to attack each question type.

If you are struggling with timing, try to use the online stopwatch to build up your internal time clock to get a feel how long 80 seconds really take. You can do so by taking LR sections from PT 1-35 and do them individually while using a timer with loop countdown function. Set the timer on 80 seconds and 25 loops when it is past 80 seconds circle the question choose an answer choice and move on, come back to the question if you got extra time at the end of the section.

Online Stopwatch with Loop-countdown
    http://www.online-stopwatch.com/loop-countdown/

I hope this helps you.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27885 karma
    Agreed with @BinghamtonDave and @"Not Ralph Nader" . Postponing from December is your best move here. You just need more time.
  • rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma
    my recommendation for LR since i was/am in your situation is simply "SKIP, SKIP, SKIP". every second you waste on a question youre likely to get wrong takes away from spending time on a question that you couldve gotten right. when i was studying i just could not understand the whole skipping thing because i kept trying to answer all of them and id struggle to even get 11 right, id usually get 7 to 9 right. after i forced myself to abandoned what i was using i just trusted the 7sage method. i solve the first 10 in 10 minutes and make sure they are right since those questions are the easiest on the test (generally) and then for the remaining 15 or so i read each question and if i know that its going to take some time to figure it out i simply circle the question and go to the next one and all the questions i know i can solve and answer i get those right and the ones remaining i take whatever time is left and go with my best (educated) guess. one thing i always do now it that i ALWAYS skip the parallel reasoning (the really long questions) to the very end simply because they take the most time to read an understand.

by doing those i can average easily between 7-21 right consistently under timed conditions. your lr sections really benefit from optimizing your approach to your skillset. hope it helps :)
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @rakinalikhan said:
    "SKIP, SKIP, SKIP".
    something i'm slowly was surely learning. i think we all have a tendency to want to try and solve the complex issues, but here, we simply cannot afford to waste time on a single question worth the same amount of points. i also think the parallel questions are a good type to skip. sometimes they're so darn easy tho so i'm torned.