Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would it be okay to say this in my interview?

CaffiendCaffiend Free Trial Member
edited March 2017 in General 17 karma
Thanks for all the great answers!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Caffiend said:
    I just want to make sure the Amal Alamuddin thing doesn't come off as uninformed and naive.
    Personally, I wouldn't say that. You can describe how you are interested in the intersection of social justice and law, but invoking a celebrity would make you seem a bit uninformed and naive most likely.
  • loosekanenloosekanen Alum Member
    edited November 2016 138 karma
    Also, I've found that using the phrase "my dream is..." sounds awful in my experience interviewing candidates. "A primary goal of mine is..." sounds far more professional. The former makes you sound like a child wanting to be a princess when she grows up. Except maybe don't use the passive voice. YMMV.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    Rather than say that you want to BE her, I would mention her as someone you admire a lot (btw didn't she change her name to Clooney? If she did, use her legal name). You can say that she embodies many of the personal/professional qualities that you would like to develop throughout your law career.
  • Anna MarieAnna Marie Alum Member
    210 karma
    I agree that saying something specific that you admire about her work might be more advisable. The firm she works (worked?) for was founded by Geoffrey Robertson, who has written loads of great stuff on humans rights and international criminal law. Maybe read up a bit on the work Doughty Street Chambers does as a whole rather than focusing specifically on Amal Clooney -- that way, you have something more substantial to appeal to rather than "I want to be Amal Clooney." Best of luck with the interview!