Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rant: The LSAT is, in some respects, ridiculous.

steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
in General 192 karma
In another thread, about Logical Games, which I didn't want to hijack:
@BinghamtonDave said:
This is a set that doesn't allow an ounce of hesitation or misreading.

Because this is a skill that's absolutely required for success in law school.

Right? ... Right?

And to anyone, including the LSAC, who says, "Maybe not specifically, but LSAT scores correlate well with success in law school," my response is that you do not understand the distinction between necessary and sufficient conditions.

And somewhat separately, but still within this discussion's title: it's 2016 and not only are we taking multiple choice exams on paper, we're writing essays in pencil?! Is meekly accepting being treated like a child -- or a criminal -- a criterion for success in law school?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Haha, yeah it's frustrating sometimes. I came to view LSAT as a more general obstacle. Yes, law schools are interested in how capable you are with basic logic and language skills, but the much more important aspect of this test is simply the fact that it stands in our way. I think that just by throwing us a hurdle and seeing how well we can overcome it, law schools learn a lot about us in ways that are far more important than the actual content of the test. It probably doesn't even matter that it's the LSAT. It could be pub trivia and it would still reveal to law schools how we respond to running into obstacles. They'll take the occasional genius of course, but I think what they're really probably after are the people who refuse to give up and who fight tooth and nail to destroy anything and everything that stands between them and their goals. I see the LSAT itself as rather arbitrary, although I do think it's a much better test than the GRE or SAT or whatever else.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    ut LSAT scores correlate well with success in law school
    lol I think the choice of the word "correlation" says everything.

I do see your point of view. But what can we do, unless something changes by the time we take the next test, which by the way it might as LSAT is heading towards being digital, we are kind of stuck : (

• steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    But @"Cant Get Right", overcoming the LSAT qua obstacle costs each applicant at least dozens if not hundreds of hours, does it not? That's a tremendous drain on the legal education economy.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    @Sami, your reply reminded me of this note by LSAC that I'd seen before:
    LSAC is conducting
    research involving LSAT
    delivery options for the
    future. We are studying
    the feasibility of a tablet-
    based LSAT administration
    system, which will likely be
    field-tested sometime in
    2015. No decision has
    been made regarding
    future implementation of
    such a system. In the 1990s,
    LSAC began researching
    the potential for electronic
    delivery of the test, and
    this is a continuation of
    those efforts.
    They began researching this more than 16 years ago!
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    They began researching this more than 16 years ago!
    lol That's sooo funny
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Member
    423 karma
    It's not as ridiculous as it would be if they were testing our math skills :)
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    Agreed, @"steve-10". I'm sitting for the test with a row of 'My First Ticonderoga's in silent protest. (It just so happens these particular pencils are fabulous for quick bubble-filling, with giant erasers for emergencies, but let's not tell LSAC.)

There are several fully-accredited, U.S. law schools whom also object to the LSAT score being the be-all and end-all over all else in the admissions package. And one of those schools produced a Supreme Court Justice. Just sayin'

However, since we are FORCED to submit to the LSAT, we're caught by the short and curlies. Go on wit yer bad self, LSAC, because 7Sage has my back.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    Because this is a skill that's absolutely required for success in law school.

Right? ... Right?

And to anyone, including the LSAC, who says, "Maybe not specifically, but LSAT scores correlate well with success in law school," my response is that you do not understand the distinction between necessary and sufficient conditions.

And somewhat separately, but still within this discussion's title: it's 2016 and not only are we taking multiple choice exams on paper, we're writing essays in pencil?! Is meekly accepting being treated like a child -- or a criminal -- a criterion for success in law school?
    The LSAC more correlates with success in law school bar passage rates.

I do understand the distinction between necessary and sufficient conditions.

Checkmate.

;)

I feel like your rant has a flaw: It assumes that the LSAT was a test designed to see if one has the required skills for law school, lol.
    @"steve-10" said:

LOL. Yes, indeed it is.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Sami said:
    lol That's sooo funny
    HAHA! Yeah, the jury must be in by now, right?