Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR: should I still ask? Or not?

LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
in General 250 karma
Hello, so I'm looking for another recommender now and got a reply from one of the profs I contacted and...
He said he is ill (has serious illness he said) now and just got back from hospital.
(He also retired from teaching.)
He was the 2nd best prof I knew and since the best prof I know may not be available, I really hoped that I could get a letter from him.
I don't know...normally I would not ask or bother him but I may not be able to find another prof...
What should I do?
Can I still ask him to write a letter or should I not bother him?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    That's a tough call, especially with your situation in mind. I'm not sure how admissions people view retired profs to be honest though. I'm sure it isn't a big deal and would likely be alright. I suppose the problem is with his illness, asking for a LOR may seem gauche...
  • LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    250 karma
    @"Alex Divine"
    I feel so stucked...:( As you know my first and best prof...I don't know, I got a reply from her but she said it would be very hard to write one by the deadline (so soft declining as you said) but she said we can discuss in detail when we meet, so I am intending to talk with her sincerely.
    And...I don't know :(
    How should I reply to this prof (2nd)? Really...I don't know what to do.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    @"Alex Divine"
    I feel so stucked...:( As you know my first and best prof...I don't know, I got a reply from her but she said it would be very hard to write one by the deadline (so soft declining as you said) but she said we can discuss in detail when we meet, so I am intending to talk with her sincerely.
    And...I don't know :(
    How should I reply to this prof (2nd)? Really...I don't know what to do.
    I would reach out to a professor whose class I did well in. I'm sure you've gotten plenty of As. Reach out to one of those profs, introduce yourself, and see if they'll write you a letter. You may have to reach out to a few, but it seems better than the options in front of you right now.

Perhaps when you meet with the first recommender you'll have a better idea of where she stands...

I mean, if he is ill and just got back from the hospital, I wouldn't ask him.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Aww, @LSATaker I'm sorry about this. Alex beat me to it - for sure reach out to other professors whose class you did well in...even if they don't know you personally, it would be totally acceptable to ask to meet up and let them know who you are and what you're pursuing. It can end up working in your favor. If the ill professor didn't mention anything about writing a letter for you, it seems as though they don't have any intent to write one. Don't be too pushy, last thing you'd want is a petty letter on your application and it may even come off as bitter lol. You're above that!
    250 karma
    @"Alex Divine" @montaha.rizeq

Thanks,
    I actually did not mention about LOR nor law school...
    I just asked whether I can meet him in person and visit his office and he said he already retired and just back from hospital stay...he said he hope he will be better in a few month so soundsl ike kind of serious.
    Hope he is OK...
    11542 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    I just asked whether I can meet him in person and visit his office and he said he already retired and just back from hospital stay...he said he hope he will be better in a few month so soundsl ike kind of serious.
    Hope he is OK...
    :( I feel like this would be better left alone then. I'm sure you can find other options though.
    250 karma
    @montaha.rizeq
    Yeah hope so...
    Ahh...I don't know.
    Do you think having one from a person who I worked with works? He is one of faculty (not prof teaching there though, just visiting faculty) in the law school I'm aiming at too...but he is not a prof so it's not going to be academic letter and not sure whether it will be OK for other schools...
    11542 karma
    It can work but it won't hold the same value as it would from a professor.
    250 karma
    I see...thanks for the reply.
    I don't know, I feel so depressed...
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    @montaha.rizeq
    Yeah hope so...
    Ahh...I don't know.
    Do you think having one from a person who I worked with works? He is one of faculty (not prof teaching there though, just visiting faculty) in the law school I'm aiming at too...but he is not a prof so it's not going to be academic letter and not sure whether it will be OK for other schools...
    If you haven't graduated, don't use a LOR from a person you worked with. If anything, you'd want one from a supervisor or boss. Even then, you should unquestionably get 2 LORs from profs if you are still in UG.
    11542 karma
    No, don't feel depressed. While LORs are important, they don't hold the same value as let's say your PS or LSAT score. There is absolutely no other professor you can ask?
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    If you haven't graduated, don't use a LOR from a person you worked with. If anything, you'd want one from a supervisor or boss. Even then, you should unquestionably get 2 LORs from profs if you are still in UG.
    OP, yes. If you're still in undergrad it's practically imperative to get 2 LORs from professors. Sorry, didn't know if you were still in the UG scene or not.
    250 karma
    Hey @"Alex Divine" @montaha.rizeq
    I just graduated actually...
    And I am still waiting for a reply from 2 profs whom I asked but...not sure.
    What I am thinking is getting one from the 1st prof...who may decline depending on our discussion and from 1 from whom I worked with...
    But I dont know...how should I talk with the 1st prof?? Cannot mess up this time...