Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sick?!!?! (This can't be happening)

SimbatronSimbatron Member
in General 175 karma
Guys I feel like I'm getting sick. I must take the test on Saturday if I want to get in next year. WHAT DO I DO!? :(

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I would say to do nothing LSAT related and just focus on your health. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. If you have antibiotics I'd take that too. You do not want to take the LSAT while you're sick.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    You know yourself better than any of us do. The way I see it you've got two choices: 1. Power through getting sick if you can (and if being sick isn't going to significantly effect your performance) and take the exam. 2. Realize whats to be is to be and consider not taking the exam until a later date.

*Others will undoubtably comment below, but for many schools February scores are acceptable for the forthcoming 2017 year.*
  • Vickpetrosian1Vickpetrosian1 Free Trial Member
    139 karma
    Lots of vitamin c asap !!! And then get a concoction together 1 part honey 6 parts lemon juice!!! Drink 2 to 3 a day no joking this will help you a lot will cut sickness down into 2 days I swear !
  • BreakthelsatBreakthelsat Member
    82 karma
    Hot bath + Lots of tea. Don't study until the test day! I am sure you will get better by then.
  • Slim_JimSlim_Jim Alum Member
    105 karma
    I was getting sick last week and I've had really good luck with Airborne Tablets. Here's a link to it: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/airborne-dual-action-chews-citrus/ID=prod6241750-product
  • EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Focus on getting better and take the test. If you are so sick you feel you bombed it, you can cancel your score and take it in February. This isn't the end of the world. A lot of schools take the February exam. But just focus on getting better right now.
  • SimbatronSimbatron Member
    175 karma
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Unless the February scores are back by March 1 then it needs to be December :/

I will definitely take all of this advice and try to power through the test. If I feel like I bombed it due to being sick I can always cancel my score....I'm hoping for the best!
  • Sydney15Sydney15 Free Trial Member
    5 karma
    Focus on getting better and resting. This is my second shot at the LSAT. I took it last October, just 12 days after I acquired a concussion (taking it again on Saturday for scholarship purposes). I got a score that got me into the school of my choice. I rested, took it easy, didn't study too much and just let my body heal. You can do this!
  • annaantonova1009annaantonova1009 Alum Member
    76 karma
    @Simbatron That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear!

I'm a singer in my previous life, so I learned to nip that cold at the bud when I feel it coming on. Here's my miracle cure for common colds:

Zicam 4x/day + Emergen-C 4x/Day + Dayquil 2x/day and NyQuil at night + tea with honey all day long (lemon is good to add) + wear and sleep under lots of layers (sweat gets all the crap out of your system)

If you strictly follow this schedule for 2-3days you should be able to stop the cold. I would continue for at least another day after you feel like you're better just for good measure.

If you're not better by Thursday, go to an Urgent Care, tell them that you need to get better asap because you have a huge exam on Saturday. They're doctors - they should understand the importance of an admissions exam. At the very least they should give you antibiotics or if they're really cool, and depending on your symptoms, they might give you steroid pills (don't worry - it's not the type of steroids that athletes pump, it's just pills, but they act super fast, and they're not harmful if you don't take them every time you get sick) - that's what celebs take when they need to perform and they got sick.

And do not try to "study through the cold" . You can probably do some review, watch some explanations, etc, but don't do anything that requires you to do anything timed or actively solve and reason. This is your body's way of saying it needs a break, so you have to oblige. Watch "Suits" instead :-) You'll be in much better shape for Saturday when you're well in a day or two!

Feel better!
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I'm not a big fan of medicine so this is what I do when I feel a cold coming on, it always works like a charm!!

1) boil water
    2) cut and peel ginger
    3) cut a quarter of a lemon
    4) 1 spoon of honey.

Add ginger (cut and peeled in a cup), pour boiling water, squeeze lemon into cup, mix in the spoon of honey.

Keep making/drinking this and get lots of rest. You'll be ok/back to normal within 2-3 days!!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Sorry to hear it! Don't panic though, stress will make it worse.

What kind of cold/symptoms do you have?

I'm a big endorser for Zicam nasal swabs. They helped relieve the symptoms. There's no cure for the common cold, so you might have to just ride it out. If that is the case, make sure you're getting plenty of rest.

I've also tried to exercise my cold away by sweating a bunch.

Feel better!
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    Hope you feel better and good luck.
  • WalliumsWalliums Member
    373 karma
    Everyone will tell you take Vitamin C, drink this tea, try this medicine, etc. But if you're getting sick it is likely just a cold, and there's no cure for that. The one thing that you can do that will actually help you better is SLEEP. Get lot's of it, eat chicken noodle soup, and sleep some more.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited November 2016 10774 karma
    @Simbatron said:
    Guys I feel like I'm getting sick.
    Me too buddy<3 Hopefully yours is not as bad.
    I think it calls for nap and soup time <3 <3 and no stress. You'll recover faster that way <3
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    Be very careful what you put in your body before the test. Lots of things cause slight brain fog, which is enough to ruin your test performance. I recently stopped Zyrtec and Zzzquil for this reason. Two weeks later, my average score is 5+ points up. Post hoc ergo propter hoc? Yes. Do those things mess with your brain? Also yes.

Good luck.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Walliums said:
    Everyone will tell you take Vitamin C, drink this tea, try this medicine, etc. But if you're getting sick it is likely just a cold, and there's no cure for that. The one thing that you can do that will actually help you better is SLEEP
    Agree 1000% All that stuff about Vit C and special drinks are old wives' tales. Sleep + liquids are important!

• bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    @Simbatron I also wouldn't underestimate the power of adrenaline on Saturday. I had a nightmarish sleep situation the night before my Sept take and was panicking and thinking maybe I wouldn't even go in for the exam. But once the exam started, it was like my horrible night of non-sleep never even happened. I most sincerely hope you feel better, but your body and mind are capable and this illness (even though its not what you planned for) is hopefully something that won't stand in your way. :)