Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My nerves got to me for the first section.

LSATtruth.LSATtruth. Alum Member
in General 175 karma
Before the test was handed out, the lady to the right of me was sneezing. The lady to the left of me had some tissue and was reaching over me to hand to her. I simply took it from her and gave it to the lady to the right of me and the next thing you know a proctor comes up to me saying"There can be no communication between test takers. This is your final warning. If it happens again, you will be dismissed." I told her that I didn't say anything and just gave her tissue. Then she asks,"Do you want to be dismissed?" I didn't respond and the test was handed out. My nerves from that incident were wracking during the first section and I believe i totally bombed section one. Anyways, as the test progressed I began to calm down and believe that I did well for the remaning 4 sections. Still, I believed I significantly underperformed for section one. I will be retesting I February and wanted tips for best controlling nerves. I normally don't get anxiety on standardized test but something different happened today.

Comments

• DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @hakeemmuhammad498 said:
    Anyways, as the test progressed I began to calm down and believe that I did well for the remaning 4 sections.
    let's hope that your first section was an experimental. Is that a possibility? i'm sorry you had a proctor like that!
  • LSATtruth.LSATtruth. Alum Member
    175 karma
    Yes. There is that possibility. I hope so.
  • stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma
    I'm sorry @hakeemmuhammad498 . If it makes you feel any better, I also had a really distracting/awful testing experience in September. I definitely did not get the score I was PTing, anticipating, needing, etc. Nevertheless, I submitted my applications with my subpar score (just to get them in early so that they would be ready for review when the December score came in) and I got accepted to three T14 schools last week. I thought that this was completely out of reach, and that my applications wouldn't even be touched until January. So the lesson here is...even if you don't get the LSAT score you want now, or even in February, it IS possible to make up ground on your applications with strong essays, etc. You got this!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Wow, what an asshole. That would have shaken me too; I'm not sure there's any way to prepare for something like that. Sounds like you recovered really well, so that's actually a really great sign that you had done a really great job keeping your emotions in check. Check out the discussions on the experimental. Hopefully it won't even count!
    760 karma
    @stgl1230 said:
    it IS possible to make up ground on your applications with strong essays, etc. You got this!
    sweet, thanks for your comments!
  • stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma
    Also I know that we are obviously all here studying for the LSAT, but I'm starting to see that if you do put a lot of heart into your applications, I think most schools will recognize that. Not everything boils down to just GPA/LSAT. I think admissions officers are pretty forgiving (I didn't apply to HYS though so that could be a different story), as long as you demonstrate effort and a clear desire to attend their school.
  • S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
    188 karma
    @hakeemmuhammad498 Are you really surprised? How else could the proctor ensure that you weren't using Tissue Code?

1 tissue = A
    2 tissues = B
    1 tissue folded in half = C
    2 tissues folded in half = D
    crumpled tissue = E
    175 karma
    @"S.P. 170" LOL, the test hadn't be even started yet! We were bubbling in our names, social security number...etc. Anyways, I'm going to try to stop stressing over this and get ready for February but I seriously dislike that proctor. During the remaining of the tests, she kept walking and hovering of me.
  • S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
    188 karma
    @hakeemmuhammad498 Sucks that that happened... it's completely unfair. What can you do though except hope for the best despite the proctor's attitude toward you. Looks like you got made an example of.
    760 karma
    @"S.P. 170" said:
    Tissue Code?

1 tissue = A
    2 tissues = B
    1 tissue folded in half = C
    2 tissues folded in half = D
    crumpled tissue = E
    LMAO!!!!
    175 karma
    On a bright note, 7Sage has helped me signicantly improve on logic games though I am still not perfecf(goal for feb). I remember first starting and thinking I was totally hopeless at logic games. With more prep and work, I think I can grt way better at that section.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2016 2086 karma
    You probably had an uptight proctor. If it happens again in February (it probably won't) smile, apologize, and pretend it didn't happen.
    175 karma
    How soon should I began studying for the Feb LSAT? I have finished the core curriculum, taking multiple tests and going into the test I was averaging 160. My highest score ever was 162.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @hakeemmuhammad498 said:
    How soon should I began studying for the Feb LSAT?
    Take about a week off, then back to it!