Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official December LSAT Discussion Thread

Comments

• chgunnschgunns Alum Member
    92 karma
    As others have mentioned, one of the LG was unreal difficult. The much ballyhooed virus game was a walk in the park in comparison.

I've never gone 0'fer on a LG in my life, including when I took the 2007 cold, but there's about a 50-50 chance for went 0 for 5 on that one. I'm so grateful it was the final part of my fifth section, or it could have really shaken my confidence. Still have a shot at my target, but that game likely single-handedly ended the otherwise decent chance of our performing my goal.

I would rate the LC's as average, but they always seem about the same to me.

LR seemed easy, but I have a theory that they were designed to be unusually humanities-heavy to offset the unusual mathematical basis of the final LG. Someone who was at ease with that LG may have been farther from their comfort zone than normal with the Reading passages, while someone like me (who did a Chevy Chase "I was under the impression there would be no math this morning?!?"), may be flummoxed by the final LG, but breeze through the passages.
  • Not a LG WizardNot a LG Wizard Alum Member
    edited December 2016 18 karma
    Just chiming in here: I had LR - RC - LR - LG - LR

2nd LR, which I hope to be experimental, had 26 questions and one in particular about a certain writer named Payne (and determining authorship). Anyone *not* have that one?

Also, first LR section had an early one about bed-mites.
  • FrostbyteFrostbyte Member
    140 karma
    Thanks @hufflepuff.
  • G6_1L_QueenG6_1L_Queen Alum Member
    edited December 2016 81 karma
    Fuck! I just went to the lsac website and found that scores come out on bday!!! Fuck you logic games. I'm so upset. Of course now I come up with perfect set up for game 3. Why can I think of this NOW!! Why not then. Ugh!!! So upset.
  • abisin1234abisin1234 Alum Member
    171 karma
    @bjphillips5 said:
    Done! Felt much better than sept. Happy birthday @"Dillon A. Wright"
    Eyy! Happy Birthday Dillon!!
  • roblim92roblim92 Member
    73 karma
    Joining in as well: LR RC LG LR LG
  • diefor170diefor170 Member
    129 karma
    So for 3 LRs: LR RC LR LG LR, which LR is not real? I also feel that the first LR is really hard
  • tjphilbricktjphilbrick Alum Member
    174 karma
    @"Not a LG Wizard" I had the same layout, and I'm with you - really really hoping the first section is real and the second section isnt. I can't seem to remember which questions were in that section, but looking at the comments here it looks like the third LR section was real. I honestly cant remember if there was a question about bed mites. Really hoping the first one was too. Anyone else have this format and remember any questions from that section?
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @jennilynn89 said:
    LG has always been my strongest section and I totally fucking bombed it. Had no clue how to do the watercolor/oil paint one, skipped it and moved on to Game 4 and knew even less how to do that one! I tried to treat it like the virus game, but it took up so much damn time, I ended up just guessing on most of it, and guessed on all of Game 3...
    SAME, same, same. I actually just woke up from a nap, since I figured that might calm me. Honestly - you are not alone. After reading all of the other posts, people are in the exact same boat as us. So try not to worry. I felt ok after the break going back in, but after that horrendous LG, I totally lost my cool for my last section and guessed for FAR more than usual. I had to keep re-reading the same sentence to comprehend, and was getting stuck on early q's. BAD.

Btw, I "wrote" in June, but cancelled going in, used it as practice. This was my 2nd time and PRAYING somehow it's my last.

@esteerose I wanted to include you in this b/c I had the same experience as you as well, which is also similar to @jennilynn89 above. You guys are NOT ALONE!
  • roblim92roblim92 Member
    73 karma
    @diefor170 said:
    So for 3 LRs: LR RC LR LG LR, which LR is not real? I also feel that the first LR is really hard
    All I can remember from LR are the following: Organ question, Trex question, Bones and flutes, cat food, Alexander's tomb, male sterlings. Hope that helps!
    92 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    I agree the trading games was much easier than the computer virus. I feel like my score improved from September because the RC was so easy.
    Not at all, man.

That virus game was a six piece sequencing with two open spots and four possible outcomes. The only thing that any different about is that the answers were separated with arrows rather than commas, and it followed three fairly standard games.

This one followed a Game 3 with an unusual, though not unprecedented design, presented a new game framework that required decent math fluency, then played the particularly nasty trick of reversing values, so that the lower the number assigned, the greater the number you had to use in translating worth. It would be equivalent to designing a game in which one had to constantly remember, "When I say 'Left', you turn right, but if I want you to go left, I'll say 'Right!'"

I'm glad for you that you were comfortable with the game, but there is no comparison in difficulty between this one and the virus. When people occasionally say that the LSAT test designers are sadistic, they are talking about things like this game.
  • cbloom19cbloom19 Free Trial Member
    30 karma
    Anyone who had two LR sections: do you remember a question about bed mites?
  • Not a LG WizardNot a LG Wizard Alum Member
    edited December 2016 18 karma
    @cbloom19 - somebody just asked that on the LSAT subreddit, and someone w/ only 2LR confirmed it as real!

from that subreddit:

[–]EnigmaTrainLSAT student 1 punto hace 10 minutos
    Did anyone have the dust mites question? First question of the LR section?
    enlaceembed
    [–]romcombo 2 puntos hace 8 minutos
    Yes. I only had two LR too so it's real.

(sorry for the reddit-in-spanish version - gots to keep my castellano up somehow)
  • jonathan.hatcher7jonathan.hatcher7 Free Trial Member
    80 karma
    Was the Alexander the Great question the one with tombs or something? Everything is a blur..
  • CalPoliSciCalPoliSci Member
    236 karma
    Did anyone else feel like the trading game was on par with PT72's game? I think it was that hard. Virus game was much easier IMO.
    92 karma
    @mcmlaw36 said:
    SAME, same, same. I actually just woke up from a nap, since I figured that might calm me. Honestly - you are not alone. After reading all of the other posts, people are in the exact same boat as us. So try not to worry. I felt ok after the break going back in, but after that horrendous LG, I totally lost my cool for my last section and guessed for FAR more than usual. I had to keep re-reading the same sentence to comprehend, and was getting stuck on early q's. BAD
    Man, I'm sorry. I was very lucky to have that as my final section. It would have carried over into my next session too.
  • Shoal of TimeShoal of Time Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    Great to read these comments, as they echo my own concerns, particularly with the LGs. The oil/watercolor game seemed like it would have been "the difficult" game in an earlier version of the test, whereas today it was the "second-most difficult game." That last game with the trading buildings . . . my god. Struggled to answer the first question (maybe correct! maybe not!) and had to guess on the others. NO IDEA how to go about setting that thing up.

The RC seemed fairly straightforward. Seemed to get off in the middle of the second set of LRs but tried to come out of it.

Weird that the LG experimental used fairly standard, relatively easy games except for the one about the mines, which seemed a bit creaky in terms of its development. But that last real game seemed solidly put together and was a colossal disaster. At least it was at the very end of the exam, so we weren't dwelling on it in later sections.
  • marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    241 karma
    Ditto on the LG experience. I was thrilled after taking the first LG, thinking I had just bested my nemesis. The second LG section destroyed me. Guessed on probably half of them.
    631 karma
    @chgunns said:
    Man, I'm sorry. I was very lucky to have that as my final section. It would have carried over into my next session too.
    Thanks, lol. Yes - lucky!
    @chgunns said:
    When people occasionally say that the LSAT test designers are sadistic, they are talking about things like this game.
    100%. No comparison to virus game. This was much worse.
  • BreakthelsatBreakthelsat Member
    82 karma
    I also remember the cat food, birds and nests and 18th century organ questions. I had two LG. The last LG section had questionons on trading buildings and water/oil color. So the first LG was experimental?
  • eae010eae010 Alum Member
    27 karma
    Despite all of the LG prep I've done (considering I can often go near perfect on RC and LR as it comes naturally), that LG section today felt as bad if not worse than the first logic game I ever did, before I even knew how to properly diagram the easiest of games. I'm curious as to whether there have been any other PTs of recent memory where there is not 1 but 2 either extremely hard or totally unorthodox games. I think it's fair to say that I was caught more off guard by these logic games than the pundits (and I) were by Trump winning the electoral college. Prior to that section I thought I had missed at most 1 or 2 questions for every other section, but afterwards thought that I could have potentially gotten 10 questions wrong on the LG section alone.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @CalPoliSci said:
    Did anyone else feel like the trading game was on par with PT72's game? I think it was that hard. Virus game was much easier IMO.
    Don't recall PT72s games (took it awhile back). I just remember looking at game 4 and thinking, "Lol, nope."
  • 16 karma
    Wow, it's comforting to know i'm not the only one who thought LG was harder than usual. No super easy game on this one... and sucks that the "Francis Fukuyama/The End of History" was experimental. Definitely one of the better RC sections
  • Vickpetrosian1Vickpetrosian1 Free Trial Member
    139 karma
    Guys Anyone notice any repeating answer patterns I'm scared for LG but for RC anyone have repeating letter answers? Like CCCC or EEEE
  • beerpub16beerpub16 Free Trial Member
    14 karma
    LR-RC-LR break LG-LR
    From the first LR i remember questions about: airplane lanes, otters and predators, i think bed mites.
    Second LR (Sect 3)(I think this was experimental) Had a question about octopuses choosing a red colored ball, and another one about a machine that tickles and induces laughter when other people aren't watching?
    Final LR: dry/canned cat food, an animal floating on debris from islands to Americas, a church organ being reconstructed, biology and french (inference question), a tomb in Macedonia.

RC was do-able. I remember an odd number of a certain AC in succession of each other towards the latter half. Not sure if anyone else encountered noted this.

LG - game 3 was a massive time vacuum but do-able. game 4 haha; lets just not. I pray that the guessing gods are in my favor.
  • jaybee88jaybee88 Alum Member
    165 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright"

-Touching Something Blue and Red
    -What Year a Book was Written based on it Asking Where He Was

I do not recall either of these qs and I didnt not have an experimental LR.

Happy birthday. Thank you for all that you do for us
    165 karma
    Did anyone else think the insider trading passage was kind of difficult?

Ugh... overall I feel ok and feel that the test was fair. But the real RC was my first section and I wasn't as focused as I ought to have been :( sucks considering it was supposedly on the easy side. Hopefully my intuition kicked in... and I am with all of you on the logic games section lol...
  • acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma
    I had 3LRs, one of which had a passage about fig fossils in the Jordan valley, another of which had a question about Bears & some kind of rodent and hibernation. I remember a question about corporate and government subsidizing of non-chemical agriculture techniques. Others I can remember are one about the interlocutor misinterpreting "can't" (morally assess past aristocrats based on current ethical standards) one about voting out leaders, about moths and an enzyme the don't have in their saliva (or something), an argument about violence in movies and it's effects...there are others like the Australia and South America drift involving iguanas, and something about male starlings which I can't recall...I felt like the first logical reasoning (25qs) was significantly harder than the other two (it was the one that contained the bit about movies and effects), but I don't know. I usually finish LRs with over 5 min and this one was more like 2:00 and I skipped two and had to go back, so I felt like that one was significantly more difficult than the last LR were I was significantly more fatigued. As for the LG, it seems like the test makers are throwing in miscellaneous games in Dec. (cf. the random office assignment preference ordering last year.
    631 karma
    @bbank0218 said:
    RC was do-able. I remember an odd number of a certain AC in succession of each other towards the latter half.
    @Vickpetrosian1 - There you go, someone had the same experience with doubles, triples in RC.
    631 karma
    @eae010 said:
    I think it's fair to say that I was caught more off guard by these logic games than the pundits (and I) were by Trump winning the electoral college.
    HAHA! Same.
  • 180Bound180Bound Member
    33 karma
    Anyone have the LR question about A company named "I cant remember the name" who sells appliances and has a certain market share of it. I had 3 LR sections and this was in my first. Felt that is was much harder than the other two. Hoping it was the experimental.
  • Student...Student... Member
    298 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Anyone with NO EXPERIMENTAL LR get any of these?

-Blaming a Company for Pollution until there was Algae
    -Puzzles
    -Doctors and Handwriting
    -Leopard Magpie
    -Those Who Desire to be Kind
    -Devaluing Companies
    -18th-Century Church Organ
    -Iguanas on an Island
    -Birds and Their Nests
    -Politician
    Yes!!
  • Vickpetrosian1Vickpetrosian1 Free Trial Member
    139 karma
    @mcmlaw36 that helps relieve a lil anxiety maybe in a upwind RC might balance out LG ... I think LSAC is making a change towards balancing out difficulty !
  • BreakthelsatBreakthelsat Member
    82 karma
    I believe I had the market share question on LR (flawed method of reasoning? I'm not %100). I got two LG sections (RC LR LG rest LR LG)
  • RealisIkeRealisIke Member
    19 karma
    Did anyone else really struggle with LR? I had three sections, and found all three of them very strange and bogged down for time. I personally had no problem with LG or RC.
  • CrystallCrystall Alum Member
    151 karma
    I feel really good about LG too. RC felt OK; like an average RC section to me, with one or two questions I wasn't sure on, but that's typical for me. I had three LR sections too. There wasn't a single section I felt 100% confident on. There were one or two questions in each section that I just felt like I didn't do right. Fingers crossed that my mistakes were concentrated in the experimental section...the wait is the real struggle :(
  • adks1011adks1011 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2016 8 karma
    @mariak94 I'm in the same boat...I'm panicking because I'm wondering whether that mystery chapter book game was the second one? For some reason I only remember the other three games but I feel like I went to the painting one right after the research groups one? And now I can't even remember whether I even bubbled all the way to 23. Also I feel like I only attempted three setups. TL;DR am terrified I somehow skipped over game 2 and misbubbled games 3 and 4 starting from game 2 slots. That sounds INSANE typed out but I truly feel like I blacked out from panic during the LG section. Does anyone happen to remember whether mystery chapter book was second? Or can anyone say anything more about the game in a way that's still within the rules/regulations? I think I'm completely screwed :(
  • S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
    edited December 2016 188 karma
    I don't like iguanas any more... well at least not when they're floating on an island to America.
    151 karma
    Does anyone who had 2 LR sections remember a question about a school taking a survey with students who wanted to change to a new dining service? I had 3 LR sections and really want to know if that one was experimental.
  • Renee M.Renee M. Alum Member
    103 karma
    @Crystall i agree with you, I had a hard time with LR and had an experimental LG. I feel like some of the LR were all a blur .... I didn't find RC or LG too hard despite the LG having an initial shock value
  • DByrne07DByrne07 Core Member
    279 karma
    @bbank0218

I had the same setup - I think section 3 was the experimental LR then?
    151 karma
    @bbank0218 @DByrne07
    I had the same setup! I definitely had the same section 1 and section 5 LR, but I'm pretty sure I had a different section 3. I think that was the experimental one.
  • J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    edited December 2016 575 karma
    Okay, a little drunk, but chiming in. LG is my worst section, but I mostly figured out the third one about the oil/watercolor one. I think I ended up skipping one Q on the second game and two on the third game and the entire fourth game... which is good for me. I had an experimental LR section. I felt like the second one (third section) was insanely easy. Had 5 minutes after double checking all answers I had circled. The other LR sections seemed normal to me but I struggled because of nerves. Guessed on two questions on each of those sections. RC was a breeze.
    165 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright"

yes organ and iguanas
  • sd2813sd2813 Alum Member
    4 karma
    Was it me or was LR hard???? Way too many disagree q's or am i just gone crazy? Also What other question types do you guys think were most prominent?
  • BreeBreeBreeBree Member
    219 karma
    @180Bound I also had that question in section 1.
  • icecreamparfaiticecreamparfait Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    So sounds like RC was easy for everyone...
    I couldn't sleep well last night and kind of run out of time..shoot.
    Was the brain scan passage easy as others too?
  • icecreamparfaiticecreamparfait Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    @sd2813
    I had 3 LRs and one of them did have many disagree Qs.
    Hated those questions...
    not sure which LR is experiment&hoped the one with those disagree Q was the experiment but sounds like it's not.
    631 karma
    @sd2813 Yeah lots of disagree q's... I found that too.

I had LR-RC-LR-LG-LR.
    Found the first two LR's (s1/s3) okay, but after the LG section, I lost my cool for s5 LR.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2016 7468 karma
    Has the amount of beer I’ve imbibed since finishing this test been caused by or merely correlated with my new friend Tony’s dilemma of starting a brewpub or a production brewery?