Cancelled score-moving forward!

jbauman1jbauman1 Alum Member
edited September 2014 in September 2014 LSAT 17 karma
Hey y'all,

So unfortunately I cancelled my score from Saturday's test. I took the test at Pace NY and there was construction being done on the roof of the building and as I'm sure you can all imagine, the incessant banging of pipes and jackhammering of concrete didn't make for an efficient test site and it certainly didn't complement the Reading Comp section very well.
The good news is that I took the test, cancelling my score after, and I really believe I was well prepared, thanks to the months of studying aided by 7sage. I do think, however, I can better my timing, I ultimately cancelled the score because I couldn't risk the possibility that the distractions screwed me up on things I know I could otherwise have been positive about.
BUT, now that I have time to do some more prep, I want to look at bettering my timing. When I time myself and take pts on my own, I finish sections in 33 minutes or so, but both times I took the actual test (last October and Saturday) I fell apart. Of course distractions were at an all time high on Saturday because of the crazy amount of noise from construction but now that I am taking the test in December I'd like to better prepare getting my timing down to a science. I'm thinking maybe I should start taking tests with other people.
Does anyone know of any programs or group that facilitate group tests? If not, would anyone in the NYC area be interested in maybe putting a group together this way we can take the exam under more realistic conditions?
P.s. if anyone else was at the Pace location and feels the construction was an overwhelming distraction, LSAC is being very accommodating and investigating all the reports and will either offer a make up or reimbursement. Be sure to get your complaints in to them if you need to!

Comments

• amj521001amj521001 Member
    45 karma
    You are a mind reader-- I just spent the last hour searching for free proctored practice tests in NYC. I didn't have very much luck, but I'd be happy to join a group that took realistically proctored practice tests in preparation for the December 6 test. I'm in Brooklyn, but would be happy to travel to a more central location for practice tests on Saturday mornings.
  • unrealsimonunrealsimon Alum Member
    48 karma
    Do you still get to know your score if you cancelled it?
  • cole.w.murdochcole.w.murdoch Alum Member
    228 karma
    @unrealsimon you don't get to know your score if you cancel.
  • MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    edited September 2014 368 karma
    Hi! I just started studying for the LSAT. I don't plan to take it in December, most likely Feb or June, but I would love to join a group on the weekends to take PTs. I live in Astoria, Queens but I'm willing to commute to an area that is convenient for everyone. Saturday or Sunday mornings work best for me.
  • GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
    440 karma
    Hey everyone! I cancelled my score the day of the test by filling in those two ovals and signing my name...that is all I have to do, right?
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    You also have to do a secret handshake with the proctor Grace. I thought I told you about that... :)

Hope you're feeling better!
  • madeleinemadeleine Alum Member
    259 karma
    I cancelled my score as well. My last PT was an all time high. I just derailed in the real thing. But I'm determined to nail it in Dec. I'm in NYC, and so down for group tests. @Grace glad to hear you're feeling better.
  • carla36carla36 Alum Member
    9 karma
    That sucks that they allowed distraction during the test. I took it at Hofstra and it was bad enough that there was a sick girl who kept sneezing right behind me. I couldn't even imagine how much focus I'd lose with actual construction going on.
  • DrackedaryDrackedary Member
    239 karma
    Sorry to hear this has happened.

Out of curiosity, would it be a good idea to scout out a test centre a few days before the test to find out if construction is going on and contact the LSAC to see if they can change venues? Has this happened before? Would it be worthwhile to try?
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    @drackery Yes, scout your center. Two reasons: you don't want to get lost on the day of, and you want to know what you're walking in to. I went to my site the day before and learned the parking garage, got a map of the floor plan, looked at thermostats in the big classrooms, listened for AC sounds, made noise and listened for echoes, and sat in chairs.

When I got there on test day, I felt super comfortable. No surprises. I don't think construction noises are a problem, but rather not expecting them that causes problems. The proctor apps all include noise simulation and we get used to it. If you know you're vulnerable to that sound, then download construction site noise emulators from YouTube and listen to them during your PTs.

You can overcome anything you put your mind to.
  • poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma
    I'm planning for the Dec too and I'm located in Brooklyn but would be super down to take group PTs! I tried to take a PT in a public library (not the main branch.. should have went there darn it) and got supppeerrr distracted by all the printers, and book trolleys and kids screaming :( it was so hard to get back into focus so it'd be cool if we can do a collective testing thing
    259 karma
    The Main Branch is SO noisy. That said, I scored great on my PT there, even though I felt distracted. I think part of it for me is the pressure, not just noises. I need to be in a situation where it feels closer to the real thing, and that probably means taking it with a few people. I did this with a few 7sagers back in August and it was good. Maybe I can do a post for NYC dec. study group later today?
  • The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma
    @Drackedary I also took the test at Pace. The supervisor told us that they saved the construction work for Saturday. Many of us went to Pace on Friday to see the test center and did not notice that there was construction going. But yeah. You should definitely scout the test center before the test.
  • michaelspinellomichaelspinello Alum Member
    8 karma
    I also canceled my score on Saturday. I was peaking on my pts the week going into the test but unfortunately I could not fall asleep the night before the test which in return caused me to melt on the test.

I also would be interested in taking timed tests with some fellow 7sagers. Please keep me informed.

All we can do is keep going forward.
  • jbauman1jbauman1 Alum Member
    17 karma
    AWESOME. Thanks everybody. I live in the Bronx but work at Sullivan & Cromwell all the way downtown. I would be willing to go anywhere maybe on a Sunday afternoon? Any ideas on a spot? I usually just study in the office of my parents' house so I'm not very familiar with public study spots!
    45 karma
    For people who were mentioning the Brooklyn Public Library -- if you have a group of people, you can actually reserve a private study room ahead of time. It could probably fit four of five of us and would likely do a pretty good job of mimic-ing real test conditions. If anyone is interested in that do with me, let me know! I have a library card and would be happy to look into reserving a room.
    17 karma
    That sounds great, I'm in.
  • katheranfrankkatheranfrank Alum Member
    2 karma
    I'm canceling my Saturday test today. I was getting sick the day before the test, thought maybe I was just stressing, but three days later, I'm still down. I also feel that the prep classes I have taken to date, have not assisted in my preparation. I am definitely glad I signed up for this prep program.
    259 karma
    i just looked this up about the NYPL rooms, which is a cool idea. http://www.nypl.org/node/58071 the only problem is it looks like there's a 2 hour limit. @amj are you aware of any time limit at your branch?
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Hey Everyone, I am also interested as well!
  • bluedot423bluedot423 Free Trial Member
    12 karma
    hey, did you ever take PTs around people? A public library (or your school's library) is usually ideal. There are sounds of pen on paper, and rustling of papers, that you would likely hear on test day.

Now construction noise is obviously a huge distraction, and I don't blame you for cancelling. That's not your fault, but driving by the testing center before test day, you might have noticed this.

But you have a good mindset about this. Use the time to get better on timing, and put yourself in test-like environments. Good luck amigo!
    17 karma
    Yea sometimes it's hard to accurately judge. I visited Pace last week so I could figure out the train times and there was no construction during the week days, I believe they set up shop all day Saturday and that was all (perfect).
    But let's all keep each other posted on testing together even if we can schedule just one test.
    45 karma
    @madeline -- Yeah, I didn't think of that for some reason. If two people have library cards we could each reserve the room for one two hour block and just make sure they were consecutive. I'm taking a practice test this Saturday, but that's probably too soon to get everyone together. Anyone interested in group testing on either the 11th or 12 at 8:30 am? (I prefer the 12th but can do either.)
  • hkm22517hkm22517 Alum Member
    151 karma
    I'm down for this, the NYC Study Group thread kinda died off and I've been looking for people to study with. Both of those days work for me.
    259 karma
    Going to start new NYC December Post right now!
  • diaz.melissa08diaz.melissa08 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    HI! I just signed up and I am also in NYC! I would love to join a study group and take PT. Please email me at diaz.melissa08@gmail.com for more info. I work in midtown and live in Brooklyn.