Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deficient testing facility issue

chgunnschgunns Alum Member
in General 92 karma
I took the test at a large, public university. I estimate a couple hundred people were tested in two large auditoriums with ample table space for each test taker.

I was one of the lucky twenty-five sent to a classroom with the little L-shaped desks that fold up in order for you to stand or sit. The folding ones are smaller than those used in high school, and they also force you to lean up and hunch over whenever writing. The entire writing space was approximately one test booklet tall, and 16 inches across. An open, unfolded test booklet would not fit onto the desk. Having assisted in administration of secondary school national tests, I am fairly certain that the room also failed to meet the minimum distance between test takers requirement.

As several other test-takers pointed out, it was literally impossible for us to adhere to the instructions that nothing should be below desk level while taking the test.

When several people complained, the test director came in and said, "I know you don't have a lot of room and that it's tight. I get complaints about this room every time, but it's the only room I could get in the building. If you want to cancel, I'll let you." This is basically, 'Screw you. What are you going to do about it?', and the fact that he alluded to previous administrations complaining about it only made me more livid.

I had to constantly flip the folded test booklet back and forth, as did everyone else in the room. It did not matter on LR and RC, but it noticeably slowed progress on LG. I would have gladly driven an hour to get an adequate testing center, but I know I was not one of the last twenty-five registrants. What is the best way to inform LSAC that this university of 30,000 needs to be given less testing slots, and the local director either replaced or retrained in the importance of this test to those taking it?

Everyone who tested in this room before December '16 dropped the ball and let me down, and I don't want to do the same for future test takers.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Yikes. I'd send LSAC an email about the school to let them know. They may let you retake in Feb. for free if that's what you want.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2016 10774 karma
    For sure, you should write to LSAC about this. I have seen sometimes they are generous and let people retake it.
  • chgunnschgunns Alum Member
    92 karma
    Thank you both. I will email them. I want to make sure no one else has to go through that at that facility. I don't suppose there is anyway to know my score before I decide? Despite the problem, I really want to be done with this.

On 75% of the test, it simply a frustration for me.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    They do not let you see your score before deciding. It's not fun. Curiosity got to me and I got my score and then also paid for the next administration because my score wasn't what I wanted. Curiosity is a punk sometimes.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    Where was your testing site so that we can all avoid in the future?
  • chgunnschgunns Alum Member
    92 karma
    @"Chipster Study" said:
    Where was your testing site so that we can all avoid in the future?
    University of South Carolina. Definitely do not test there. The LSAC resolution is pending, but about 10-15% of December test takers got a raw deal. I found a model of the smaller desk online - the writing surface had a width of less than 12 inches.

The rationale on withholding your score is questionable, but not surprising. If I determine that something I am ultimately, though not directly, responsible for led to a situation that would make it difficult for a student to perform to their best, I would certainly let that student know what grade they are standing on before asking if they want to go through the preparation process again.

I'll probably keep whatever I get, but it pisses me off even more at every other person who did not care enough to speak up.