Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any moms studying for the LSAT?

angelica31angelica31 Alum Member
in General 76 karma
Planning on taking LSAT in June or Sept '17 and wanted to know if there are any moms in the group? Still trying to figure out how to balance it all! Or any study groups?

Comments

• esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    Hey, I'm a mom! I do not think there are many of us in the group. How old are your children? My daughter is 5 this week.

She has never been in daycare, but I saved up all last year for mon-thurs preschool/daycare so I could study for the LSAT. She has been attending since the summer. I took the December LSAT, so I am just waiting around for my score, you know, freaking out.

I don't work, but I am a full time undergrad senior. I tried to take fairly easy classes this semester so I could spend more time on studying for the LSAT. It worked! I was able to spend about 10 hours per week plus mothering and school.
  • tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma
    Mom of a 1 year old. Hoping to take June or even Sept next year.
  • angelica31angelica31 Alum Member
    76 karma
    Hi @esteerose ! I have two girls, one is 4 and the other is almost 2! My oldest is in kindergarten (full-time) but still at home with the little one! I don't work either but you know how it is running a household and chasing a toddler!

That's so great! Glad to hear you could do it "all"! How long did you study for? 10 hours a week I think I could do slowly working through this curriculum it might just take me longer than I initially anticipated. Were you part of any study groups or did you just do all on your own? Thanks for sharing! My next step is upgrading membership my starter almost expired and didn't get through much as I'm trying to figure out best uninterrupted study time!
  • a.ruqaiiaa.ruqaiia Alum Member
    114 karma
    Hi, I'm a mom of two, 4 and 3 years old! I was planning to write in December but i'm not close to being ready so I'm aiming for June or Sept. Studying for the LSAT has been my plan for a while now, but was not able to as it is very expensive to have both kids in daycare (not to mention the guilty-mom feeling!).. Now my 4 year old is in school, and I managed to get my youngest in part-time daycare, so I'm much more able to organize my time to study. I am able to study between 10-15 hours a week.
    76 karma
    Hi @tams2018 ! How long have you been studying for? Think we need a little moms support group there is definitely not many of us here! Are you working?
    76 karma
    Hi @a.ruqaiia ! The "mom guilt" is what I struggle with my little one isn't 2 until the end of January and I feel bad putting her in part-time day care because she's still so little! Although it would help me tremendously organize my study time. How long have you been studying? Right now I'm resorting to studying late nights when I'm tired and feels like I'm doing double the work!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    A few dads on here too. Both of mine are 5 and in transitional kindergarten. I’ve been studying for 2 years and working as a tutor. Welcome!
  • a.ruqaiiaa.ruqaiia Alum Member
    114 karma
    @angelica31 I hear you, I struggled with the same thing for years, and still do when I take my little one to daycare! I also resorted to studying at night, which I found was difficult as I was so mentally drained at the end of the day. You could try studying early morning (if your daughter sleeps well through the night).
    I've been studying on-off since September. I registered for Dec. test and enrolled her full time in November. So i got to study full time November and I found that most effective. Studying part time is interrupted and I kind of lose motivation/focus. She's back on part time now because "mom guilt"!
    76 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor thank-you! Wow..two years!? How do you stay motivated!?
    7468 karma
    It helps that I tutor SAT/ACT/(and now LSAT) for a living. I've always found this stuff fun. I also think I kept a realistic timeline, given my circumstances. I focused on easy small short term goals (for example, tomorrow, I'm gonna memorize all the group 2 logical indicators), and then it just snowballed. This forum is also helpful for asking questions, venting, and even helping others.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I'm sure @twssmith will have lots of wonderful advice to offer :)
  • meg321gomeg321go Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old. We do our homework together, ha! How have you all created your study schedules? Excited I found other moms who are studying!
    11542 karma
    I'm not a mother yet but to all the moms and dads out there who are still chasing their dream and making something out of their future, I applaud you. It's so easy to just focus on yourself especially when studying for the LSAT, but you're choosing to do this with your child(ren) in mind and that's so beautiful to me. You all are very selfless human beings and we can all learn from that :)
  • RRSinglet2RRSinglet2 Member
    59 karma
    To all you working parents out there - You're SUCH an inspiration!! I am not a mother, I probably shouldn't be responsible for another human right now, but I am a daughter of a full-time working mother. Obviously, I can't speak personally about 'mom-guilt,' but my mother and I are very close and she's talked to me about it. She worked a lot when I was young. As the daughter of a working mom, I have to say, please don't feel guilty! What my mother accomplished, working and raising three girls, has inspired me to be like her. Studying for the LSAT is not easy, but you parents are already setting a GREAT example for your children. Best of luck to you all and if any of you live in Oregon, I'd be happy to babysit! :)
  • PreShe-RaPreShe-Ra Alum Member
    18 karma
    Hi! Mom of 2 (16 years and 13 months). Just got married in July, and a full time job. Been working on the LSAT for the last 2 years, last year was more birthing a child and planning a wedding, so now that everything settle down, I started on my studies for the LSAT. The goal is to take the Feb '17 LSAT, and hopefully start Law School in the fall. It's definitely not easy studying at home. Practically, non-existent. Luckily, I have a job where I can study at, and on my 2 hr commute to work, I replay lectures.

@RRSinglet2 your post is definitely encouraging about not feeling guilty! Us mother's need to hear that. Thank you for your post!
    76 karma
    @meg321go I'm still figuring out a schedule as I go....wish I could study this full time but unfortunately I can't right now! I'm excited we found some moms in the group we need a little support system it's great to hear how everyone is making it work - feeling motivated! @montaha.rizeq thank-you so much for your post it made me smile :) Also @RRSinglet2 thankyou!!! So nice to read and as mentioned above very encouraging! @nikkaja22 wow you have had so much on the go and your doing this! 13 months!? Are you sleeping! Congrats!
    We got this mamas and dads! Keep me updated! Where is everyone from!?
    Goodnight from Toronto, Canada!
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    I am not a mom, but I am in awe of you guys. I have two dogs and I feel so guilty about not spending time with them. I am glad they are not real kids! I don't know how you guys do it but its pretty amazing. You guys are very strong. Good luck!
  • chowden89achowden89a Member
    33 karma
    I'm an Arizona mom of 3 - an 8 yr old boy and twin 5 yr old boys who are in half-day kindergarten. I aim to study 12 hours/week while my kids are in school, but am also busy helping my husband run our dental practice and trying to keep up on my bookkeeping for the business. Things are crazy right now. I plan to take the exam in Feb. It's fun to hear from everyone!
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    Hello!

I'm a NJ Mom, my kids are 25, 23, and 14. (I'm sorry to say, it doesn't get much easier as they get older, we just worry/obsess over different things.) I'm also an undergrad Senior (the other Senior--although fast approaching 50 years old). I am also planning on sitting for the June (or Sept) 2017 LSAT.

My oldest is high-functioning disabled, my middle is away at college in another state, my youngest is a gifted overachiever in a nationally-renowned singing group. Most days, I'm busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger with crabs. = Uber involved and sometimes painful. :D

I signed up for LSAT torture because there are many voices we need to fight for as attorneys. Plus, I used to work as a paralegal for many years, and decided I could do a better job than the fools I worked for. *gets off soapbox* lol

If there is a study group, or some sort of static/on-going thread for helpful time management/studying/motivational advice/support for parents to reference, please count me in! (Or, if someone wants to tell me how to start one, I'll do it. I'm new to 7Sage too.)

I applaud and will support all parents who take on this beast test in the hopes of providing more (financial/emotional/academic/role-modeling) for their evolving families, while fulfilling their own goals and dreams. <3
    11542 karma
    Love your story @ScooterMinion <3
    76 karma
    So inspiring @ScooterMinion !!
    Thankyou for sharing! We should definitely start a group/thread for parents for study tips, advice, or just parental support! I always felt like I was the only one doing this at this stage in my life and made me feel a bit guilty..(selfish). It's been so nice to hear the stories! I'm new too haven't used this much not sure how to start a group! Maybe we can ask a study group leader!? Thoughts @DumbHollywoodActor?
    7468 karma
    @angelica31 said:
    We should definitely start a group/thread for parents for study tips, advice, or just parental support!
    I think this is a great idea. Start a forum post to gauge interest and a good meet-up time. Once you’ve established that, the next step is to ask 7sage to use their go-to-meeting account. Otherwise, you can always use Skype. When the Study Groups were in its infancy, we always used to use Skype.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    @angelica31 said:
    We should definitely start a group/thread for parents for study tips, advice, or just parental support!
    @angelica31 @DumbHollywoodActor this is the coolest study group idea.

1018 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    you can always use Skype.
    You are correct up to a point, however, Skype doesn't work for those of us whom are deaf and rely on speech-to-text to communicate in some venues over computer/Internet----as far as I know, Skype doesn't provide Closed Captioning, but I haven't used it in quite a long time----maybe they added it? Admittedly, I haven't bothered checking, but will look into it. [@DumbHollywoodActor (not tagging for some reason), You may or may not remember the delays I experienced when I tried to join your BR study group a couple/few weeks ago---I forget which PT that was--it was at noon on a Friday in November.]

I think I worked the kinks out of my speech-to-text program with go-to-meeting. I was able to participate very well last week with David's office hours. But as you say, 7Sage will have to be asked for access to their go-to-meeting account.

@angelica31 (not tagging for some reason) Thank you, so are you! I'm with ya, sister and all-in for such a parent support/study group! Just let me know if you need help---we can learn together. If the thread is already started, can you tag me please?

I have a plethora of info (agency phone numbers, etc.) for those of us with disabled kids (adult children especially). Earlier this year, I was working with my local law school's (that I hope to attend someday after this fresh hell of LSAT) pro bono clinic to get Federal, State, and local agency info out to parents in the community. There are still so many that are under-- and uninformed! (When I'm a practicing attorney lol, I hope to provide such advocacy to parents to help them receive deserved entitlements for their child/ren from the Fed, State, school district, etc. Believe it or not, some school districts are still grossly archaic in this arena.) (Very sorry to go on a bit, I get freshly invigorated every time this subject comes up.)

@montaha.rizeq --that's very sweet of you to say, thank you. <3 ;)
    76 karma
    @Sami so nice of you to say. Thank-you!!
    @ScooterMinion i will start a new thread! Under general!?
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @angelica31 said:
    i will start a new thread! Under general!?
    Under "Study Groups" would probably get you guys more people to join! :)
    76 karma
    Will do. Thank-you @"Dillon A. Wright"
    76 karma
    @ScooterMinion good morning! Just started a new thread under study groups and wasn't able to tag you! Let's see how many are interested in joining us :)
    1018 karma
    @angelica31 Good morning!! I'll look for it! <3