Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Wait

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
edited November 2018 in Sage Advice 27809 karma
So now that test day has come and gone, so have all of our anxieties.

Right?

Well, no. https://media.giphy.com/media/lNMyVfxjfzIJO/giphy.gif Now we've got a brutal wait before test scores come out. You'll estimate how you did on each section, put it all together, and come up with a score range you think you're likely to have achieved. And then you'll toss that out the window and run the whole process over again. One moment you'll be thinking optimistically, the next you'll be certain that you did even worse than you could possibly have imagined. https://media.giphy.com/media/1FMaabePDEfgk/giphy.gif I'd tell you not to do this, but you will anyway. So just know that you're being dramatic! It's normal, everyone else is doing it, and you're almost certainly wrong. Regardless, it's done with and dwelling on it won't change anything anyway. So, do as little of that as you can manage. Another thing to not drive yourself crazy with: Constantly checking and refreshing LSAC. https://media.giphy.com/media/tei52cyY5mroA/giphy.gif Scores will come when they come. You will get an email the moment your scores post, and the email will contain your score. Assuming you have some kind of notification settings on your phone, this means that the exact moment you have access to your score, you will be notified. So let's all try to be like a bunch of little Fonzies here. And what's Fonzie like?

So, some things to do during the wait instead of freaking out:

Applications! Get those things ready to fire off! When the scores get published, schools are going to get a wave of apps and if you can be ready to be on the front end of that, all the better. So be prepared!https://media.giphy.com/media/13HBDT4QSTpveU/giphy.gif

Friends. Remember those people from before the LSAT that you used to do things with? See what those guys are up to.
https://media.giphy.com/media/sdrYL2r9dYhpu/giphy.gif

Read. I read the whole Harry Potter series during my wait. It really helped. But you do you. What's your thing? Read all the Star Wars books or Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire or The Complete Works of Shakespeare or your favorite smutty romance novels. https://media1.giphy.com/media/l0MYtRl33WaN4HGBq/200.gif#19

Netflix. Like reading, but better! https://media2.giphy.com/media/nwleaG1TObWsE/200.gif#0

Netflix and chill. Like Netflix, but better! https://media2.giphy.com/media/lZDb2PNgLXdoA/200.gif#2

Hobbies. What are some of the things you used to enjoy doing? Do those things. Personally, I like brewing beer, camping, writing, video games, keeping up with new music, etc. Done with LSAT, I was free for the first time in a long time to engage with the things I enjoy. https://media.giphy.com/media/SE95wexIfovzq/giphy.gif

Treat yo Self. You deserve it. That one thing on your Amazon wish list that's been calling you for months now? https://media1.giphy.com/media/V9zqL1ZILNTmE/200.gif#7 That really nice bottle of wine you've been saving for an occasion? https://media3.giphy.com/media/8fn9oF6IPZoEE/200.gif#11 That really nice pair of jeans that really makes your ass look fantastic? https://media0.giphy.com/media/13SDiAmoCH2nw4/200.gif#73

So there's plenty to keep yourself occupied, but of course, your pending score will inevitably force itself to the front of your mind from time to time. And when it does, we have been there/are right there with you. So do try to be cool, but when you can't, we'll freak out and speculate with you. We're here.

Comments

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma
    All really great advice! I guess for me, I'm fairly certain that I didn't hit my target score, so my main question is whether it's even worth preparing my applications for this cycle? I'm not super depressed about it or anything, I always knew this was a possibility.
  • carlisticscarlistics Alum Member
    55 karma
    Love it!
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    I love this post! I'm personally gonna be keeping myself busy with some video games and Netflix. I've barely had time for either with the busy semester and LSAT.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Right on @Tinyosi1 ! What games you play?
    27809 karma
    @dantlee14 , I think it's great that you're delaying a cycle to apply with a strong score. I made the same decision last year, and smartest thing I've ever done. Tough call on whether to prepare apps or not though. It'd be terrible to do all that work only to forego applying. On the other hand, it might be even worse to hit your score and then be completely unprepared to apply. So, that's the tradeoff; just make the best decision you can based on what you think your odds of hitting your score are.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    edited December 2016 235 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I play a whole mess of genres! My current project is Final Fantasy 15; picked it up the other day and am now looking forward to sitting back and playing it! I've been waiting for this game to come out for almost 10 years; so convenient it released on LSAT week right? Now I can finally devote some serious time to it.

I'm also currently working on the new Pokemon here and there, but I mainly end up playing that on the train ride home from school.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I can't wait until I crush the test and get to treat myself... :)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Josh Aldy, speaking words of wisdom since forever.
    27809 karma
    @Tinyosi1 said:
    I've been waiting for this game to come out for almost 10 years; so convenient it released on LSAT week right?
    Yeah man, that is great timing!
    27809 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I can't wait until I crush the test and get to treat myself... :)
    Treating yo self is an important part of the process leading up to test day as well!
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Josh, this is amazing.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is a great idea, but you can't read it in a month. I have been working on it for 30 years and am only half way through volume 5 (out of 6) ;-)
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Truer words have never been spoken. Thank you, Josh!
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    That really nice pair of jeans that really makes your ass look fantastic?
    The LSAT is the reason why those jeans now sag. Time to start eating, again.
  • CrystallCrystall Alum Member
    151 karma
    This post was much needed. Going to celebrate by doing nothing tonight, then time to get cracking on those apps.
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma
    LAWL Josh this is hilariously awesome! Gif game = on point. This is definitely one of those posts that should go into the 7Sage cannon of posts to bump on test day.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2016 7468 karma
    Great post, Josh! I’m gonna read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, watch Shameless on Netflix and take my kids to Disneyland.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Just sent this link to all my non-Lsat family it was so good!!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    take my kids to Disneyland.
    Love it!! a trip to Disneyland for you and your family:)
    It takes not only a personal commitment but also family support to believe in our future to even have a chance to be successful on the LSAT/Law School journey during a career change in mid-life. (Post 20's or later, lol)

So much respect for your deliberate and dedicated process but most importantly for always keeping your family at the top of your priorities:)
    Very Special <3
    27809 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    I’m gonna read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, watch Shameless on Netflix and take my kids to Disneyland.
    Kavalier & Clay is excellent, good pick! I've had Shameless on my list for a while now and it's getting very close to the top, so I may be joining you on that. And so great y'all're getting to go to Disney. I've been three times. Twice when I was a kid but never stayed more than a couple of hours--I got chicken pox the first time and there was a hurricane the next time. The third time was in high school with a large group in Paris, and I was just mad that I was in Paris and at Disney! Looks like you're going at the perfect moment, so hope all goes magically according to plan!
    27809 karma
    @nessa.k13.0 said:
    This is definitely one of those posts that should go into the 7Sage cannon of posts to bump on test day.
    @twssmith said:
    Just sent this link to all my non-Lsat family it was so good!!
    Haha, I'm honored!
    27809 karma
    http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/153643/lsat-score-release-dates-scheduled-vs-actual-comparison-2004-2016

So here's the history of LSAT score releases to give y'all some idea of how this tends to go. @"S.P. 170" ;)
  • S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
    188 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Thanks for that link. Looking at the previous few years' December tests, their wait times to release scores are all approximately thirty days, which is about a week later than June/Sept tests (probably due to the holiday).

I'm not too worried about personally receiving my score; I'm just hoping that the schools I've applied to for Sept. 27 will consider the December scores before they give out too many rounds of rolling admissions.
    27809 karma
    Yeah, I suspect you're right about the delay being for the holidays. Looks like they sometimes get it done before, so hopefully they're on the ball this year!

And I wouldn't be too worried about too many spots being grabbed up. They know they've got lots of apps waiting on them from December scores, and they want to see the field before overcommitting to early applicants. Right now, I suspect that the offers have mainly gone out to the obvious applicants who were always going to take spots anyway. If you can send them good numbers, you're still in good shape.
  • RRSinglet2RRSinglet2 Member
    59 karma
    Loving all of these comments! Personally, I have no idea what to do with myself now! After yesterday's test all I keep thinking is how I should be doing a BR right now. Any good book recommendations?!
  • J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    <3 this. I already treated myself to a sweater and a bottle of wine...now I just need the jeans. And I already made plans to re-read all the HP books. I started on SS/PS the night before the test :)
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @"J. Tharp" I did the same!!! Treated myself to a bottle of wine and went online shopping lol.

Also bought the new Final Fantasy game for XBox One, for all you nerds out there. It's amazing and therapeutic.
  • dixyeniddixyenid Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    Thanks for the great post! I am finishing up my applications, catching up on work/projects and READING!!! So many books have accumulated on my to-read list since I started studying for this test in late Spring....Took Sep 2016 test as well and i am EXCITED to be done.

Definitely also have started catching up on some Netflix shows, too :D
    27809 karma
    Sounds like y'all are really doing it right @"J. Tharp" @jennilynn89 @dixyenid !
    27809 karma
    @RRSinglet2 said:
    Any good book recommendations?!
    What kinda books you like?
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Just finished the LSAT today. Treating myself to a root beer and a one day break from apps.
    27809 karma
    @desire2learn said:
    Treating myself to a root beer and a one day break from apps.
    Man, that's some pretty Spartan celebration, but congrats! Hope all went well!
  • RRSinglet2RRSinglet2 Member
    59 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I'm game for anything! I usually balance non-fiction with cheesy fiction, though.
  • tofuspeedstartofuspeedstar Alum Member
    139 karma
    At least you guys are just waiting for a score. I feel like waiting for replies from schools is even worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Man, that's some pretty Spartan celebration, but congrats! Hope all went well!
    text
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    @tofuspeedstar You may be correct but I look forward to being in that boat if only because it would mean that my personal statement and resume would be finished.
  • emuthebirdemuthebird Free Trial Member
    23 karma
    @RRSinglet2 said:
    @"Cant Get Right" I'm game for anything! I usually balance non-fiction with cheesy fiction, though.
    Anything written by Margaret Atwood if you like dystopian novels, I recommend the MaddAddam trilogy - 3 amazing books that will be sure to keep you occupied why you wait!
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    I just started reading the Kingkiller Trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss! I'm only like 50 pages in to The Name of the Wind, but it's so good so far!
  • wildernesswilderness Alum Member
    133 karma
    ^ Bro Name of the Wind is lit
    27809 karma
    Maybe a little late, but, bump for my Feb folks.
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma

Nice. I was pretty relaxed about the wait at first, but then I looked at the calendar and thought "It's only the 11th?! U-g-h-h."

Btw it's Black History Month. People seem to forget. If nothing else, check out the new Roots or see the original if you haven't. Just one way to relax and get your mind off the wait.

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    457 karma

Right after the test:

Last week:

Still at least once a day, I stare off into space and speculate about what score is going to show up in my email a couple weeks from now. But then I remind myself that it's all over, and that I should do more fun stuff during my vacation from studying.

Two weeks from now:

27809 karma

Bump for my June people.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Bump for my June people.

This is a very high quality post. All of the treat yo self gifs had me rolling. I love Aziz.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

This was much needed! I remember reading this thread back at the beginning of my prep and not really understanding all of the complex emotions involved in finishing the LSAT. Now? Yep. I've definitely run about 100 different scenarios of how I thought the exam went, and I'm sure it won't stop until July. In the meantime, it's about time I get caught up on House of Cards.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma
    1287 karma
    1287 karma
    1287 karma
    1287 karma
  • KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

Time has COMPLETELY come to a halt without studying to keep me busy. One day feels like a month. Yesterday I thought three weeks must've past and the scores would be ready. Then I realized it had only been three days since the LSAT.