Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High GPA and mediocre LSAT?

MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
edited December 2016 in General 2086 karma
Hey y'all,

So, long story short, I'm pretty sure I "effed" up on the Dec LSAT (yes, I read J.Y's post, lol). Section one went somewhat well, section 2 went fine, I tanked section 3 (which was the experimental...woohoo!), section 4 went "okay," and, section 5 (LG)...well let's just say I guessed on 9/23 questions (damn you games 3 and 4).
Anyhow, my target school's average LSAT is around a 165. I'm not even sure if I scored that high. However, I've never done exceptionally well on any standardized test. I always seem to develop testing anxiety while taking them, but never during my university exams. Not sure why, that's how it has always been with me. If I recall correctly, I scored below the average on my SAT, but, funny enough, graduated with highest honors (4.0 LSDAS GPA) from undergrad.
I know some schools will overlook a relatively low LSAT if the applicant possesses a high GPA. My top picks right now are UCLA, USC, UC Davis, and UCI. Fortunately for me, my career path doesn't require me to attend a T14 (although, I wouldn't turn one down).
Do you guys think it's worth keeping my LSAT score and applying this cycle? Part of me thinks I won't be accepted to any of my target schools. If it matters, I have a few ECs on my resume (Public Defender internship, volunteer work with disabled children, VP of a community service club, multiple teaching assistant positions, moot court, and possibly a soon-to-be City Attorney intern). I also have plenty of LORs - one from an individual who doubled as my moot court instructor and supervisor at the PD's office.
If I had to guess, I would say that I guessed on a total of 25 questions on the December LSAT. I have no idea what happened...

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma
    Hi!

First off, congrats on taking the test! Getting to that point is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself. Don't get too down on yourself before your score comes. You may have done much better than you think.

Is there a reason you must apply this cycle? If not I would consider waiting a year or taking the Feb test. Bottom line is you will have much better chances no matter where you want to go if you have a better score. Also, with a GPA like that, don't pigeon-hole yourself. Sure you have your top picks but don't be afraid to sprinkle in at least some of the T14. You never know until you apply and you could very well be surprised by the results. Plus, if those are your target schools and you do hit your average on test day this time or next time, you're looking at some serious $$$ from those schools and probably at least one T14 acceptance.

Hope this helps!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    graduated with highest honors (4.0 LSDAS GPA) from undergrad.
    Do NOT waste that GPA by settling for a mediocre LSAT score. While it's possible your GPA can save you from a rejection, it can't work on its own to get your a nice scholarship. As nice as your GPA is, the LSAT still weighs heavier. T-14 isn't on everyone's radar (take me for example) but that doesn't mean a scholarship is less important. You worked so hard for that 4.0...keep the momentum going with a great LSAT score to match it.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @JustDoIt Thank you! It feels good having completed the LSAT (for now). Applying this cycle would be ideal. I've already taken 2 years off, and a third might end up costing me my sanity.
    I did consider taking a shot in the dark and applying for one or two T14s, particularly, Berkeley and Cornell.

@montaha.rizeq Ugh, I know. Everyone is telling me that I shouldn't waste my GPA. Trust me, I don't want to. Unfortunately, I can't figure out what's going on with my LSAT scores. My BRs are almost always in the low-high 170s, but my initial takes rarely go well. I've been studying for well over 1.5 years, so I'm attributing my relatively low LSAT to testing anxiety. I'm also considering writing an addendum, and sending over my SAT score.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    Good job on that 4.0.