Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do we need buy CAS service?

I checked the LSAC and saw the Credential Assembly Service (CAS), which cost $50. How would it(elvuation) influence the admission? any idea?

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    CAS actually costs $175...

From the LSAC:
    What CAS Costs
    After you pay for CAS, your account will remain active for five years. The CAS fee is currently $175 and includes
    transcript summarization (as well as authentication and evaluation of academic records for internationally educated JD applicants, if applicable);
    creation of your law school report;
    letter of recommendation processing; and
    electronic application processing for all ABA-approved law schools and some non-ABA-approved schools.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law-school/cas

Many schools require CAS, so there is often not away around it.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    Thank you so much!! I need get it now.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Yeah, you are kind of forced to buy it. Worse money I've ever spent, haha,
  • Jamie216Jamie216 Alum Member
    42 karma

Did anyone else receive the fee waiver? I did. But then again, I am a single mother who aged out of foster care. It says on LSAC website that they are very selective with the fee waivers, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try? They cover the cost of two LSAT exams plus the CAS service.

• Jamie216Jamie216 Alum Member
    42 karma

All I did was fill out a form and send them my tax return and was approved.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited February 2017 11542 karma

@Jamie216 said:
    All I did was fill out a form and send them my tax return and was approved.

Yep, same. I agree, it doesn't hurt to try. Don't forget the waiver includes a free Superprep! did you receive that? Also, it only covers the CAS for four schools you apply to. Beyond that, you will have to pay the $30; but the application itself should be free. Nowadays Law Schools are very lenient and open about who they give application waivers to but more-so for those who qualify for the LSAC waiver. :)

• jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma

Yes, you need it for sure! At least that is my experience.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@jyang72 said:
    Yes, you need it for sure! At least that is my experience.

Yes when you're applying to schools in the US.