Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earlier apps vs. later apps and taking a risk

jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
in General 822 karma
Hey everyone!

First off, to all you Dec. LSAT takers - WE DID IT. It was hard. It sucked. I'm over it.

So now to the game plan - what are you guys thinking? Any Feb re-takers out there?

I personally am honestly not sure what to do right now. I took the Dec. LSAT last year and feel like I am in the same boat again. Felt prepared, got hard hard games thrown at me, freaked out, had to guess, ran out of time. Let anxiety get to me throughout the rest of the test - bombed.

I do not want to delay another year. Been there done that, want to start law school. So I am debating whether or not its even worth taking the February LSAT. I have terrible test anxiety, and this seems to be a pattern on the LSAT that I get thrown off, lose my cool and can't seem to get my shit back together.
So I'm thinking that if I have a less than stellar score this time around again, and take February, get thrown off again and get another mediocre score, I will have lost the advantage of still being a little earlier into the application cycle.

What do you guys think?
I know applications are currently still at an all-time low, so at least we have that on our side, and it's still early-ish into the application cycle.

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Yes, you will lose that advantage, but if you think you can increase your score even just a couple of points, I think the Feb take will be worth it. Of course, if you are looking for money from law schools, you are running the risk of schools drying up their resources before you can even get to them.

That stated, apply with your December score if you're at all happy with it or if you're dead set on applying this year, no matter what. Figure out what schools consider your application as they would normally even with you having a pending LSAT take (the Feb. test). Work on your applications now, get them in with your December score, and sign up for February, unless you're happy with your December score. Ask schools if they will consider your application and not put it on hold with your pending LSAT score, and if that's naturally what they do, ask them to move forward with your application. You can then use the February LSAT to try to get more money or have schools reconsider you altogether.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @danielznelson Thank you so much for your reply!

Getting scholarship money from schools is definitely my #1 worry. I do not want to drown in debt, and it's been a major contributing factor to my anxiety.
    I'm honestly not sure if taking the risk in February will be worth it. It just seems like I'll potentially be in the same boat again as I am now in case there's something that will completely throw me off and put my test anxiety through the roof.

I'm just so disappointed in myself right now. I know I can do better, but my test anxiety has really taken a toll on my performance.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    @jennilynn89 You may very well be right, though after you take a week off from the test (you should), I would recommend you get back to studying with eyes set on the Feb. LSAT.

You never know - maybe it will be a waste, but studying for just under two months isn't that big of a sacrifice in the grand scheme of things, and any risk you're taking is just doing too much work, not cutting off your chances of being where you want to be.

Say you get accepted with your Dec. score. The Feb. LSAT may give you clout as far as influencing your likelihood of getting more money. Regardless, you know you can do better - I'd start aiming for what you know you can do.

Are you participating in BR calls? If not, definitely do so! Just being social with fellow LSAT-preppers will really help your confidence and anxiety.
  • bbutlerbbutler Inactive ⭐
    401 karma
    @jennilynn89 I agree with Daniel! I'm in the same boat as you, I bombed this test and I took in October 2015. It's been a long/distracted road for me and I've been pulled in a bunch of different directions but I highly recommending trying in February especially if you want $$$. You will be applying later in the cycle but a few points could make the difference in being accepted and being a partial scholarships. I was told early on that absolutely applying early is a priority but if I had the difference in increasing my score 5 points and applying late vs. applying early to apply late every time. The money will be there for good scores this cycle, especially if the rest of your application is rock-solid!
  • Dark Knight VDark Knight V Member
    194 karma
    Thanks for kicking off this thread. I'm also thinking of re-taking in February. I was originally going to take in September of this year, then postponed to take it this past weekend. My goal was to break 170, but after 15 PTs I was stuck in 165 as my recent average.

I decided to take on Saturday because I'm committed to applying this cycle. I felt good about how things went, but I registered today for the Feb test just in case. I'm planning to take this week off, then jump back into prep, focusing on sections that gave me the most trouble and taking 1 PT/week. I feel like I can definitely get better at LG and RC (both avg. -6/section).

I'm going to get my application ready for when the December score comes out, then decide whether to continue studying and take in February. I think you can cancel Feb registration and get a full refund after the December score comes out.
    822 karma
    Thank you all for your input!!! @bbutler @danielznelson @"Dark Knight V"

You are all so right. I think I am just so down from the initial disappointment that I am just over this stupid test. Also the fear of taking my last try in February, bombing it again and then having to pay for it with being stuck so late into the admission cycle.... that thought really scares me.

I'm kind of thinking about rolling with whatever score I get in December, shoot out my applications and see what kind of acceptances/scholarship offers I can potentially get. If it looks pretty bad, I will probably swallow my pride (for the second time around) and delay another year and retake next year in June or September....
  • ajcrowelajcrowel Free Trial Member
    edited December 2016 207 karma
    I was training with my friend for September and he suffered from bad anxiety. We got him through that in the following two ways: (1) he read a book about specific mental techniques to calm his nerves (I'll have to ask him for the title) and (2) I had him take timed tests in a room and I sat behind him with a paintball gun. I would occasionally shoot in his direction (being careful not to hit him and always doing so randomly so he wouldn't know when to expect it). This was a great way for him to get used to taking the test under extreme mental stress and anxiety. He ended up scoring a 177 (near his practice scores but up 10+ points from his prior take which suffered from nerves). So I would say, overtrain, I think we did something right.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    So as others have said, if you can increase your score by even 1-2 points, February is worth it. Like @danielznelson said, you could use it for scholarship negotiation. 1-2 points could be the difference between 20k and 50k of scholarship money! Take a couple of weeks of and see how you feel!
    822 karma
    @"Alex Divine" You are totally right. I'm just scared that in my case if my score is already pretty low, and if test anxiety gets to me again in February (which would be my third try) and I bomb it, I'm pretty much fucked.

So I think instead I may just roll with whatever score I get, see what kind of acceptances and scholly's I can get, and if I can't get as much as I like, or in any of the school's I'd like to go to, I'm probably going to swallow my pride for a second time and delay another year.... which I really, really don't want to do. This test and I just don't get along.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @jennilynn89 said:

So I think instead I may just roll with whatever score I get, see what kind of acceptances and scholly's I can get, and if I can't get as much as I like, or in any of the school's I'd like to go to, I'm probably going to swallow my pride for a second time and delay another year.... which I really, really don't want to do. This test and I just don't get along.
    It sucks, but I think your plan sounds pretty good. Worst case scenario, what is another year in the scheme of a 35+ year long career? It will all work out :)

Good luck
    822 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Absolutely! I know there are a lot of people on here who share the same struggle (delaying 2 years or more).

Thanks again, and good luck to you too!! :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @jennilynn89 said:
    @"Alex Divine" Absolutely! I know there are a lot of people on here who share the same struggle (delaying 2 years or more).

Thanks again, and good luck to you too!! :)
    Yup! Count me in that group! Thank you :)
  • bruingirl1205bruingirl1205 Alum Member
    444 karma
    @jennilynn89 you aren't alone! I'm right there with you. I know we've chatted on another thread :) Depending on how my December score looks, I may end up delaying ANOTHER year :( I just turned 27 so I'm eager to start law school too, but I rather have solid scholarships to a school I want to go to then settle. PM me if you want to chat about studying! I'm trying to figure out how to move forward with studying now that December is over.
    822 karma
    @bruingirl1205 Girl I'm right there with you! I'm turning 28 in a couple weeks, and I wanted to already be in law school by now!
    Sending you a PM now!
  • dreamlawschooldreamlawschool Alum Member
    139 karma
    @jennilynn89 I am also in the same boat. I just turned 27 and never planned to delay this long, all in the name of LSAT.
  • rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma
    i know exactly how you feel. i panicked on the games section (and its my best section too) and i did bad so i cancelled my score. i dont want to wait another year either so i applied for the february test just now. like you its about scholarships for me, i dont want to be drowing in law school debt either. im riding on my lsat score as well because of bad grades. being a urm helps for me i guess but i dont know how effective itll be. i know that there might be less money come march applications but less money is better than little to no money. it sucks but no other option sadly
  • Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
    442 karma
    Hi,
    I was wondering...so sounds like people delayed many years after college.
    Do you work full time or part time now while studying?
    How hard is it?
    I will be very likely to study and work altogether and feel kind of stressful about it...wonder whether I can focus on study :(
    If I have to work full time its going to take years to prepare I guess cuz I cannot take so much time for studying...
    Can I PM you guys and get some advice as well?
    Thanks!
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    This thread just made me feel so much better. I am 28 and have delayed law school for 5 years now. Now, I have been moving around the country because of my wife's medical school situation, but it doesn't make my anticipation to get in go away.

I was posting on law school forums in 2012, and still find my posts some days.

Either way, I am basically at the point where I will be in the class of '20 or class of '21. I am lucky enough to have taken my last LSAT in February 2013 so I get a fresh batch of 3 retakes now with my first coming in February of 2017.

My first score was good enough to get into some middling schools, but not my dream school of UT Austin.

Basically, I am at the point where I will either get a score that is good enough to get into UT with a later application come the February exam, or I will accept a tier 4 schools offer with scholarship money. OR, and this is the big one, I will wait it out and just take the two retakes come June and September of next year to boost my potential.

It's a tough decision, but it seems like you are almost done. It has to be relieving to know you will be done soon enough and getting on with your professional life.

I am impatiently waiting for that day.
    edited January 2022 822 karma
    @dreamlawschool I feel you, girl! I'm turning 28 in a few weeks, and thought I'd have my life together by now haha.

@rakinalikhan hopefully our scores will be in the range that will still get us into the school's we're trying to get in. I am just SO over this god damn LSAT. If I HAVE to take Feb I guess I will. I'm just not sure it will be worth it score-wise.

@"Tina Cho" Feel free to PM me! I've worked full-time throughout my entire LSAT journey. It's very much doable if you know how to efficiently plan out your study time.

@vduran1988 thanks for the comment! I've been following your other post on the forum in regards to lower tier schools in Texas. Sounds like we're sort of in the same boat. I didn't start college until later in life (I moved from Germany to the U.S. when I was 20) so I didn't actually finish college until I was 25) and have been taking time off since. I am very much ready to get back into now though, and feel like I do not want to waste any more time and get my life started. I've had many conversations with my dad (who is pretty much my idol and life consultant lol) and he told me to just wait out my score, see what kind of scholarship opportunities I can get, and get my life in law school started instead of putting my life on hold for another entire year.
    I know many people on here don't share that sentiment and would rather wait, but I am seriously ready to stop delaying my life just because of this stupid test.
    Hopefully your score is good enough for you to just go ahead and apply to the schools you want to get into!
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    @jennilynn89 said:
    I didn't start college until later in life (I moved from Germany to the U.S. when I was 20) so I didn't actually finish college until I was 25) and have been taking time off since. I am very much ready to get back into now though, and feel like I do not want to waste any more time and get my life started. I've had many conversations with my dad (who is pretty much my idol and life consultant lol) and he told me to just wait out my score, see what kind of scholarship opportunities I can get, and get my life in law school started instead of putting my life on hold for another entire year.
    I know many people on here don't share that sentiment and would rather wait, but I am seriously ready to stop delaying my life just because of this stupid test.
    That's an incredible background! Are you originally German? I am glad your dad has been so understanding throughout the process. My family is definitely impatient when it comes to all of this, so I have had trouble explaining to them how a patient thought process may benefit everyone.

We are in the same boat. I really just want to learn more about law, find my passion in it, and get to work! It's tough having to wait it out.

Good luck to you as well! I am sure you will have no problem getting in and law schools will be lucky to have you!
    822 karma
    @vduran1988 Thank you for your kind words!! Much appreciate, my friend!
    Yup, I'm German! Born and raised! :) But I do have dual citizenship (my dad is American, former military, spent most of his life in Germany). My dad has literally been my rock in this whole situation. Whenever I need a good pick-me up I'll call him to get a speech about "quit your whining, and make it happen!" lol tough love.

It's hard to make people understand the world of the LSAT and that law schools decision/waiting game. I know my boyfriend is getting rather impatient with this whole situation as well. It really is tough to wait it out. I just know that I do really well in academia. I love immersing myself in an intellectually stimulating environment, and it's been killing me not being able to get into law school sooner due to a low LSAT score (took the LSAT last year and performed horribly).

You sound like your head and heart is in the right place, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision once you get your scores! I like to believe that any individual that is passionate and motivated enough will be able to make it as a lawyer. I guess we just have to enjoy and ride out the journey until we get there! :)