Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Visiting school and talk with admission people---helpful? hurt?

LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
edited December 2016 in General 250 karma
Hello, would like to hear from other students as well...

So I'm thinking to visit the schools that I would like to apply.
Would it be helpful to talk to admission people there or can it actually hurt?
I do not want to give negative images and thought if so I would rather not visiting them...
In which case it can hurt application and in which case it can be helpful?
What questions would you ask them and what questions would you avoid?

Thank you!

Comments

• jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    It's absolutely helpful! I highly recommend talking to them when you visit. I've visited around 7 law schools, and have talked to each and every single admissions person, and have actually established some seriously good relationships with some schools through the people I've talked to.

I honestly think it's imperative you talk to them, ask questions that are important to you. They are more than happy to help! I usually always asked them questions about the student culture at the school, what their alumni network is like (how active they are, willing to reach out to students, etc...), what they are looking for in applicants, and pretty much any question you want to ask them in order to make the application process more clear to you.
    I can't see how this would reflect negatively on you, if you are expressing your sincere interest in the school.

In most school's they also assign a 2L or 3L to take you around for the tour of the school and it's also incredibly helpful to ask them all the questions you want to know about the school/clinics/etc...
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Just really look into the school's site to show you actually researched it. Look up good questions to ask admissions officers. Meetings with admissions can be extremely beneficial. If, for example, you decide to write a "Why X Law School" statement, its legitimacy I think goes much further when you've already gone out of your way to visit the school and indicate your interest in it.

Some schools seem to care more than other about visits, though I can't imagine how it wouldn't be at least somewhat beneficial at any school.
  • LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    250 karma
    @jennilynn89
    Thanks!
    Did you make an appointment before you visit them? by email or phone or...or can we just walk-in and ask them questions?

@danielznelson
    Thanks!
    I thought it can negatively influence my application if I ask silly questions...
    So why X law school statement may be stronger than general PS I guess?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I have heard almost every admissions consultant say it is helpful! If you have the opportunity, do take advantage!
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @LSATaker I've set up an appointment for every visit (via call and/or email). I always wanted to ensure that I get a tour, get to sit on on a class, and get to talk to adcomm while I'm there.
    I'm sure some school's just let you drop in too, but you won't get the whole treatment.
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    I would definitely recommend it! But you should also go in prepared to ask questions that you don't find already answered on their website. I think that would especially make you stand out and would really add to you as an applicant.
    4181 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    Thanks!
    I thought it can negatively influence my application if I ask silly questions...
    So why X law school statement may be stronger than general PS I guess?
    Oh, it could, but you can prepare to avoid that.

But even if you had an iffy meeting, following up with an email by thanking the admissions officer and perhaps mentioning that the meeting was humbling and gave you plenty to think about will I think shed a positive light on you. But again, you really can avoid that.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    edited December 2016 3107 karma
    Extremely helpful. I visited all of the top 14 schools a few months ago. In particular, I met with Dean Faulk at UVA, and he told me to email him once I applied. I applied and he responded with my acceptance/Dillard scholarship less than a day later. I don't think that would have happened had I not visited/talked with the admissions people at UVA.

Also, it puts a face to an application, which cannot hurt (unless you come across as very unlikable). It was also nice to compare some schools (i.e. figure out which schools you like/don't like). Sit in on a class, set up an appointment to talk to someone, and talk to students! Students give an especially fresh take because they will call out a lot of the BS that are in the Pollyanna brochures/handouts the admissions office will give you.

Lastly, it made writing the Why X essays A LOT easier, and they sounded more meaningful. Instead of relying on the law school website, you can directly state "I talked to person X in admissions and sat in on Professor Y's class. I also talked to 3L Z in between classes while taking the tour. This restaurant downtown was amazing...etc." You can really make your Why X essay a lot more personable and sincere.
    edited December 2016 250 karma
    @"Alex Divine", @jennilynn89, @lawschoolstuff16, @danielznelson, @"Accounts Playable"
    Thank you so much for your insights!
    Your comments made me want to visit schools now.
    So I'm starting to think about which schools to visit and what questions to ask...
    I do not have my LSAT score with me so actually I don't know where I am now (which school I can apply etc.)
    How should I decide which school to visit? Since it takes time, money, effort...I think I would like to choose wisely. Or just the ones I'm interested even though it might be too challenging after I find out my score or just somewhere close to where I live?
    Have any of you visited schools in different states?
    And...if you have questions that you think is good to ask, could you share with us?
    I intend to search around the websites but I just really want to avoid silly questions...
    328 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    How should I decide which school to visit? Since it takes time, money, effort...I think I would like to choose wisely. Or just the ones I'm interested even though it might be too challenging after I find out my score or just somewhere close to where I live?
    I don't think you necessarily need your score before you decide where to visit, though it would certainly be helpful. Try to gauge your likelihood at acceptance for each school, and then group schools in the same region together and do your research.

For example, you don't need to buy a separate flight to DC and to NYC because there's a connecting Megabus you can take between the two cities usually for less than $40 (round trip).
    4181 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    Prioritize the ones you like the most as well as ones that have LSAT medians about where your LSAT goal lies.

Questions to some extent depend on which school you're considering. But here are just a few general questions to ask, in my opinion (assuming you care about these particular questions):

How accessible are the professors?

Could you put me in touch with someone from X clinic or with a X path towards X job, et cetera?

What do you look for in applicants? What to you makes for a good fit with the school?

250 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16
    Thanks for your advice! :D

@danielznelson
    Thanks! I'll do some research and hopefully can come up with good questions...

btw if we want to sit in class, can we just sit for about 15 min or we need to stay till the end?
    I am thinking to visit at least 2 schools a day (or is it too much?) so...
  • brigittemiriambrigittemiriam Free Trial Member
    20 karma
    I feel you with "not wanting to give negative images." I visited a few schools and while I feel the information I gathered was helpful, and sitting in on classes was very valuable, I can come off as, shall we say, a bit socially awkward. I left a few meetings with admissions officials thinking it would have been better not to give them that information before they admitted me and hoping they would not put a face to my application. I'm not sure what the answer is (don't be awkward?) ,but the question of whether to visit is one I've dealt with too. I will say going armed with good questions would be very helpful. If nothing else, it can help you avoid getting nervous and making rambling incoherent statements :-)
    328 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    btw if we want to sit in class, can we just sit for about 15 min or we need to stay till the end?
    I am thinking to visit at least 2 schools a day (or is it too much?) so...
    I'm not sure. I know you might be able to reach out to a few professors with an email and ask if you can sit in on their class. Or, if you have a friend that goes to that school, ask them if you can go into the class with them and sit in. They'll usually let you know how long you can sit for I think it might differ depending on the professor.

Two schools a day might be a bit much depending on if you sit in on a class or not, meet with the dean, etc. I think fit in two schools a day if you don't have much planned for each school, but if you're going to go out of your way to visit then you might as well make it worth it (don't just take the campus tour). As long as you prepare what you want to do, who you want to meet, what questions you want to ask, which classes you want to sit in on, etc then you should be fine!