Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recalculating GPA from your Undergrad

aishatungaishatung Alum Member
Hey guys :)
I'm currently doing my undergrad at UBC in Vancouver, Canada and hopefully will attend law school in the US fall of 2018. I'm looking at GPA entry requirements to schools and I've noticed that the GPA conversion chart used by the LSAC is very different from the one we use at my university. At my university my GPA would be a 3.3 but when looking at the LSAC conversion chart its a 2.0 which is extremely discouraging to see.
Do you know whether LSAC or law schools use your uni GPA or your LSAC recalculated GPA in regards to acceptances?
My uni counts 70- 79 as a B and 80- 89 as an A- to an A, whereas LSAC counts 70- 79 as a C and 80- 89 as a B. The class average for most of my classes range from 66- 70 as well so it would be extremely rare for someone to get 90+ and maintain a 3.5 + GPA. Do universities take this into consideration? Thank you <3

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @aishatung said:
    Do you know whether LSAC or law schools use your uni GPA or your LSAC recalculated GPA in regards to acceptances?
    Law schools, at least in the US, will use your LSAC calculated GPA. I'm not familiar with Canadian schools and how US law schools view them unfortunately.
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    schools only look at your LSAC GPA.
  • sweetalison007sweetalison007 Free Trial Member
    48 karma

I think LSAC only uses the grades of your home country. In my country ( India) a B = 50-59%, B+ is 60 and above. A is 70 and above ( and that rarely ever occurs in most Indian universities) . At least when it comes to non STEM majors in India, 70% is a miraculous score, that occurs once in every few years.