Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading comp time mgmt

shinny117shinny117 Alum Member
edited October 2014 in Reading Comprehension 69 karma
It's quite sad but I never have enough time to finish the last remaining passage. So if there are only 3-5 minutes left, and you have a whole new passage remaining, what would be the ideal approach?

Comments

• marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    Hey ! google grame blackely and his reading comp posts!
  • GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
    440 karma
    Hey @ marleybaby! I googled it but came up with so much stuff! Can you post a specific link?
  • shinny117shinny117 Alum Member
    69 karma
    @marleybaby I wasn't able to find the link as well.. do you have a specific link?
  • Sully8725Sully8725 Alum Member
    146 karma
    Mike Kim The LSAT Trainer... Excellent book, recommended by JY (in a previous post) and the book even gives a shout out to 7Sage. It has an excellent section on reading comp. I read it and applied it and have went from -6 to avg -1. It helps you prioritize "how you read" and it helps speed you up, at least in my case.
    Grame Blackley is also a choice, I have read lots of positives but I have no 1st hand experience with his info.
  • shinny117shinny117 Alum Member
    69 karma
    @sully8725 definitely will check it out thank you!!
  • tsamvelyantsamvelyan Alum Member
    431 karma
    I just got the LSAT Trainer - So far it's a great book and a very easy read (unlike blueprint)
    440 karma
    @sully8725 But is that average with the newer RC or the older ones? Cause I used to get minus 1 or minus 0 on the older ones too...Now my average is looking more like -6 on the more recent ones...and that's with Mike Kim's book's help...
    440 karma
    In fact, I got a -2 on my RC in my diagnostic test....damn these newer RC's!!
  • markushageylikmanmarkushageylikman Alum Member
    edited October 2014 48 karma
    I'm in the same boat as you. As of now, the only thing I found that works is just going for the specific questions. I can't say this is the best method, but its far easier to answer a question that is asking you about a few specific lines than about a question that is asking you what the author's argument is when you have not read the passage in its entirety. Granted, you do have to understand the author's position (even if it is neutral) to answer specific questions with accuracy, but that doesn't mean you can't get 1 or 2 here and there. And 1 or 2 here and there CAN go a long way when it comes to your scaled LSAT score. If you come up with any better methods or figure out a way to improve timing, please share. I get shat on by RC daily and it is not fun.
  • 131 karma
    Have you checked out J.Y.'s memory method? It's worked great for me.

As an aside point, this section really just tests your short term retention. Hence, which is why some questions are time traps and others you must learn to skip/make an educated guess on.
  • James RayJames Ray Alum Member
    186 karma
    Where is info on JY's memory method?