Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yale 250?

First of all, Yale is *completely* [completely] out of my reach but I have a nice cousin who wants me to try and is helping me pay the app fee...so here's to money going down the drain.

Would anyone be down to edit my Yale 250? I would love to edit yours in return. I know this won't affect my chances too much because my numbers are already borderline, but I still don't want to submit a bad essay.

Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    @badgalriri said:
    First of all, Yale is *completely* [completely] out of my reach but I have a nice cousin who wants me to try and is helping me pay the app fee...so here's to money going down the drain.

Would anyone be down to edit my Yale 250? I would love to edit yours in return. I know this won't affect my chances too much because my numbers are already borderline, but I still don't want to submit a bad essay.
    Hey, you never know! There's some pretty incredible stories of people being accepted into YLS by people who felt exactly the same way!

Don't underestimate how far a good 250 can take ya :)

I'd be happy to edit it/swap Yale250s with you!
  • xqr1s4f3edxqr1s4f3ed Alum Member
    edited December 2016 118 karma
    Alex is absolutely correct about this. I visited the campus this year, and a student I talked to said she had no business being at Yale. She had a 164 and a basic state university degree. She wrote her statement and 250 the day the admission cycle closed, hit "send," and was stunned to get in. She had traveled and worked overseas, and found a way to tell that story; they loved something in her written materials. Yale loves denying 180/4.3 candidates and admitting people whose pursuits tell a story. A friend of mine who attended there said a kid in his class had a 155.

Tell your story in an original and compelling way.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @xqr1s4f3ed said:
    She had traveled and worked overseas, and found a way to tell that story; they loved something in her written materials.
    Yeah. I love hearing these stories! The great thing about Yale is that professors have a big part in admissions, so if something you write resonates with one of them, you could be looking at an acceptance call from a 203 area code! :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @xqr1s4f3ed said:
    Yale loves denying 180/4.3 candidates and admitting people whose pursuits tell a story.
    Yeah, this is why all of the standard rules of admissions tend to come with a "well, except maybe Yale" tagged on to the end. I was up in New Haven a few years ago buying an antique oven (long story, lol) and played pool with a guy from the school. He had lived in Bogata for awhile and inadvertently found himself in a situation where he was living with a bunch of sicarios. That's anecdotal, but if that's just some dude I happened to run into in a bar, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that a lot of Yale students have crazy experiences like that. That's one of the cool things about using medians instead of averages to determine rank. It doesn't really matter how far below the median a candidate is, so that allows for a lot of flexibility to attract people with those kinds of experiences.
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    You all are so positive!!!! I think I've been spending too much time on TLS and it's crushing my self-esteem.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @badgalriri said:
    You all are so positive!!!! I think I've been spending too much time on TLS and it's crushing my self-esteem.
    http://31.media.tumblr.com/48686e4cd2918e1e88c699589ae7d8b0/tumblr_niqw4c1FwL1smcbm7o1_500.gif
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Hahhahah @"Cant Get Right" always has the most random stories that somehow fit so perfectly in a situation.
  • xqr1s4f3edxqr1s4f3ed Alum Member
    118 karma
    @badgalriri I've banned myself from TLS. There is no replacement for patient, methodical LSAT prep and solid application writing. TLS is a hive of neuroses.
  • LetsdoitLetsdoit Alum Member
    3 karma
    I have a decent-ish story/life experience. I would definitely try for Yale just for shits and giggles.
  • LetsdoitLetsdoit Alum Member
    3 karma
    Though I must say that my GPA is not up to par with their standards and LSAT, well who knows--haven't taken it yet.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    You never know.... if you have an interesting story. I have been told by several Deans of Admission of local law schools that I know socially that they save at least a couple of spots each year for people they would want to hang with. One Dean told me that she was looking for a professional circus performer. If they had a college degree and no felonies and they were a circus performer, they were getting admitted.