Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which 7sage course?

spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
in General 772 karma
Hi all-
7sage newbie here and plan on sitting for the June LSAT. I will purchase my 7sage bundle within the next week or two and start studying January 9th. Have not yet taken a diagnostic test yet to see where I am in that respect. Nonetheless, still in school, will be working approximately 20-ish hours a week at the law firm I work at, in addition to 12 units at school (trying to take a lighter semester). Was originally planning on going for the Ultimate+, but once I utilized the study schedule, I was intimidated by the amount of hours per week it calls for. Looking for advice on whether I should just hold on for the most stressful next 6 months of my life and do Ultimate+ or any other thoughts on the matter at hand. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2016 4141 karma
    Hi!
    I don't think you'll have time to go through the entire core curriculum and PT while working and going to school. You'd have to go at breakneck speed and even then that may not be enough time to process lessons and work on improving your accuracy and speed. I could be wrong in the sense that if you take a diagnostic test and you are close to your goal then you could be okay. I would purchase the starter pack first because it's the same core curriculum. You can always upgrade to ultimate+ if you finish the lessons and primary problem sets.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    The Starter comes with the entire curriculum same as the Ultimate+. The primary difference is the amount of time you get access and the number of PTs that you'll get explanations for. Providing the questions for these explanations is where the licensing fees really start to kick in, so that's where the expense of the different courses is derived from. So the amount of work will be the same as far as the curriculum. From there, the major time factor is how long it takes you to work up to your target score. I agree with @nessa.k13.0 that you're on a tight timeline to be just now beginning for June. The good news is that you won't be applying until next cycle anyway, so June is a good target date, but if the time comes and you aren't where you'd like to be, you can postpone to Fall no problem.
  • loosekanenloosekanen Alum Member
    138 karma
    I work full time and take college classes online. I get about 60-100 minutes per day where I can study LSAT. I've been going at it since mid September, rarely going more than 2 hours in one day but rarely missing a day completely. I think it's completely doable though I do admit my wife has taken a bigger role in making sure dinner is prepared and the house is clean and I have not had a ton of leisure time on the side. I think many aspirants put these grandiose plans to their minds that will inevitably be unfulfilling because of the difficulty in attainability. I think buying the starter, taking a diagnostic, and then just trying to go through an hour a day is a good way to do it. It's helped my diag go from 153 to a 170+ average in the last month. I feel this program prepared me well, but if it hadn't int he early stages, I wouldn't have invested in the ultimate+. JY is intimidatingly intelligent and his methodology may not work for everyone. For me it's good, but there was a learning curve. You can sample that by youtubing his LG explanations. Then, just do a little bit every day and start timing sections as soon as possible. Good luck.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    @tspence8 said:
    Was originally planning on going for the Ultimate+, but once I utilized the study schedule, I was intimidated by the amount of hours per week it calls for. Looking for advice on whether I should just hold on for the most stressful next 6 months of my life and do Ultimate+ or any other thoughts on the matter at hand. Thanks in advance!
    I think almost everyone I've talked to would agree the Ultimate + is the best. You get not only the core curriculum, but all text explanations on video, all the problem sets (easy, medium, hard) and the question bank which I love! Also, compared to other companies online courses, 7Sage is the best-priced option!

Just take your time and set your ultimate goal as a score and not a date. No one can make you take the test until you're ready. Imagine this as a college final you have unlimited time to ace; you wouldn't voluntarily take the best before you were confident you could get an A, right? Treat the LSAT just like that...
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    I agree with @"Alex Divine" . I'm registered for February, my PT average is about what I need to get into all except my reach school. I figure, if I don't write high enough to get a decent shot at getting into my reach school, I'll retake in either October 2017 or February 2018. Getting the Ultimate + package means I have access for enough time to do that.

I feel your pain on the schedule end of things. I work full time (40-60+hrs per week), take 6 credit hours at a time (8 week sessions), and study. If you aren't on point with your schedule and managing burnout, it can get frustrating.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @cam said:
    I feel your pain on the schedule end of things. I work full time (40-60+hrs per week), take 6 credit hours at a time (8 week sessions), and study. If you aren't on point with your schedule and managing burnout, it can get frustrating.
    Dude, you balance so much. Teach me your ways, haha.
  • spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma
    Thank you all so much for the feedback! I think what I am going to do is get the Premium and sit for June. I believe I can manage that with work and school and also keep my GPA pristine. In the event that I am not pleased with my score, I will upgrade to the Ultimate+ and retake in September/October. Due to personal things, I really don't want to take a year off after school to study and work. Plus, the reason why I do not want to simply take my first go at it in fall 2017 is because of the difficult semester I will have to take. Again, thank you all for your input!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @tspence8 said:
    Thank you all so much for the feedback! I think what I am going to do is get the Premium and sit for June. I believe I can manage that with work and school and also keep my GPA pristine. In the event that I am not pleased with my score, I will upgrade to the Ultimate+ and retake in September/October. Due to personal things, I really don't want to take a year off after school to study and work. Plus, the reason why I do not want to simply take my first go at it in fall 2017 is because of the difficult semester I will have to take. Again, thank you all for your input!
    Don't forget to ask a few professors to write you a letter of rec! All the best.
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Dude, you balance so much. Teach me your ways, haha.
    My secret is not being afraid to have a "screw it" day or two. If I push through when I'm spent mentally (thought heavy day at work, homework, etc) or emotionally (e.g. far too much time around people), I'm not as productive the rest of the time. Knowing that the "screw it" day is an option lets me focus far better the rest of the time. You've saw the various schedules that I follow depending on what else is going on. Making a parallel to the fitness/strength training world, it is the difference between knowing that you need an unplanned rest day or just not being into it. If I'm just not into it, I can push through, but if I need an unplanned rest day-I've learned it is best to take it, whether that is studying/life or strength training.

The other secret/key is a little bit harder to explain. If I wake up and I don't have any planned or pressing for that day, I'm far more likely to shut my alarm off and not get out of bed for several hours. E.g. today, my alarm went off at 0530, I shut it off, and got out of bed at 0945 (that felt awesome, BTW). However, even if I'm running on very little sleep due to a late gig, up late finishing homework since I have all days gig the day it is due, or get distracted talking/texting with friends, and have an early morning, as soon as my alarm goes off-I'm out of bed (begrudgingly) and in seek of my morning shower, caffeine, and nicotine. No hitting the snooze button, no thinking "oh, I can sleep another 30mins", it is nearly robotic in nature.

I guess I lied, there's a third secret. Treat it like your life and future depends on it. The law school version is that since I know that I want to go to law school via GI Bill with Yellow Ribbon Program, I know what area I want to live/practice (Chicago), yet at best case I'll be a splitter (highest possible LSAC GPA for me is a 3.0 due to about a year worth of screw ups 8-10 years ago), it means I'm depending on my LSAT score to get me at least in the door/not into the auto-reject pile. I'm not talking about getting in with a massive scholarship, but just being accepted. So, if I want the T14 in Chicago, that means writing a 170+. For the rest of my target schools, it means writing 160+. I've applied the same concept (treating it like my life depends on it) to working out, not being sedentary for too long, learning new music quickly (learning bass lines to whatever songs for work by ear), or just doing homework assignments.