Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Tips With Dyslexia

lentz0217mlentz0217m Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma
I'm wondering if there is a different way to study that I should use because of my dyslexia? I was tested and diagnosed with dyslexia as a young child. I took extra tutoring and have learned to manage it fairly well. Most of my higher academic education I took online classes and would try to avoid timed tests. I can always get the answer, but I have to be able to process what I'm reading. I can't do that very well up against the clock. I don't necessarily want extra time on the test, but I am wondering if there is a way that I should study that will help me that is maybe different from what is normally done? Or maybe should I ask for extra time or whatever consideration that can be give on the test? I typically never have before, I've never wanted to make a big deal about it, and I've just found a way to work around my obstacles. However, with the LSAT that's hard to do. I don't want an unfair advantage, but this standardized test was not made for a brain like mine. I don't want to be judged based on a low LSAT score when I actually am very capable. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    You can contact LSAC and see if they can either change the font to opendyslexia (which may help if you're used to that font) and/or to grant you additional time so you can take the time to understand what you're reading. Once you get their verdict back (and assuming they grant you the extra time) you can start studying with the extra time and see if it helps out your score.

I wouldn't consider this an unfair advantage. I have ADHD and minor dyslexia myself and if I didn't have additional time to test I'd be at a major disadvantage compared to my peers because I cannot properly concentrate the same way they do.

If you think the extra time will help you then by all means, please try to get it from LSAC.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I second @"Dillon A. Wright" 's advice about attempting to get accommodations. If you can get more time, I'm sure that might be able to mitigate some of the negative effects of the dyslexia.
  • TheDesertGrandfatherTheDesertGrandfather Free Trial Member
    116 karma
    Hey! Shoot me a PM if you'd like to chat about your studying. I have a pretty major learning disability and i've learned from the best pertaining to the ways in which it can be overcome in academic work! I was also diagnosed with mild dyslexia a few years ago. However, that particular psychologist is known for over diagnosing :) Still, I could offer you my 2 cents:)