Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Emotional Burn-out after Prepping for so Long

lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
in General 328 karma
So I've been prepping for the LSAT for quite some time now and the process has been very emotionally draining. I know I've spoken to many others who, like me, miss being able to do things without having to worry about LSAT in the back of their minds or even about how they're going to plan the next steps in their prep without messing it up, etc. Most days, I just feel sick and tired of this test. I'm drained. It's just feeling *done* with this exam and the ways its really started to effect the structure in my life.

I've seen a lot of others posting on this discussion board who by now have been working and simultaneously studying for several months (if not 1+ years) and I wonder: how do you do it? What motivates you to keep going? I've always been really good at doing well in school and having a great resume and performing well at work. I usually have a lot of endurance, but I can't help but sometimes feel like this test is really just something that keeps bringing me down.

I don't always feel like this, but there are some days where I can't even get myself to look at LSAT material. I can't get myself to feel happy about having to plan every element of my life around LSAT prep. I do it anyways, because I know that my score will pay off, but lately it's becoming an uphill battle. I do let myself occasionally have fun when I want/need to. But I think that because I had been studying for the LSAT incorrectly for so long, that finally redirecting myself and trying to get into the PT stage is really draining me emotionally.

I don't know that I'm looking for people to motivate me (thinking about how I sometimes do enjoy the LSAT, seeing improvements, and knowing that I want to be a lawyer more than anything else usually does that). But I need a different perspective: how do other people approach emotional-burn out? I'd like to learn from you!

Comments

• lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    PS currently warming-up before a timed PT, hence the overly dramatic discussion post.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 said:
    how do you do it? What motivates you to keep going? I've always been really good at doing well in school and having a great resume and performing well at work. I usually have a lot of endurance, but I can't help but sometimes feel like this test is really just something that keeps bringing me down.

I basically look at it this way: I have the GPA I need, the softs, and everything else. All that is between me and my dream school(s) are a bunch of studying and work I need to put into this test.

Sometimes the test brings me down a bit too, but that usually just means you need a break.

I'm also not really a fan of motivation. I tend to subscribe to the school of thought that says motivation is a fleeting feeling and the real answer to conquering long-term goals is discipline. That is something that if you cultivate you'll never lose! It is what I attribute to my ability to fight through the burnout.

Also, sometimes we just need to put this into perspective. It is just a test. Yes, it is one of the most important tests if you want to be a lawyer, but I am confident we will figure it out and kill this test like the millions of lawyers before us.

Lastly, believe in yourself! :) It goes a long way!
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited December 2016 1741 karma
    This is tough, man.

I haven't experienced much burnout. The two things which keep the ball rolling for me are faith, and passion. When I say faith, I'm not talking about a religion, as I reject all religions in accordance with my individual beliefs. (I don't reject the possibility of an infinite intelligence / being, because hey, like the wisest man in Athens said "I know what I know, and I know what I don't know). Faith is a state of mind. You must have faith in yourself. Have faith in knowing you are going to reach the score which you desire. I know you want it, but do you truly 'believe' it? Do you truly 'believe' you are going to reach the score you are seeking? Faith is the basis of all 'miracles' which cannot be explained by rule of science. Hell, I just read a post about some guy who had a 40 point increase from his 130 diagnostic to a 171 score on test day. Talk about miracles.

Have faith in knowing that, whatever your circumstances, you are going to reach the score you truly desire. The reason I hardly experience burnout, in my opinion, is because I have faith. This faith allows me to put the LSAT books down on days which I'm fed up or exhausted from some other outside circumstances. This same faith is what allows me to smile when I check over my RC answers, and see I went -6 - -8, (hell, even -10 a few times). I smile because I know I'm going to do whatever it takes to overcome the problems I'm facing. I smile because I know I have a lot to learn. I smile because we are lucky enough to be taking the only standardized test which the answers can all be found on the page directly in front of you. You cannot get mad when you stumble upon tough problems, and you cannot give in when self doubt creeps up into the mind. The subconscious mind cannot distinguish between constructive, or destructive thought processes. The subconscious mind works with the thoughts we feed it. The subconscious mind can lead you to prosperity, or it can lead you to failure. You must feed the subconscious mind with your faith.

The next thing which drives me is passion. Really dig deep, and think about why you want to go to law school. Be truthful with yourself. Don't settle for some little cliche answer that a sophomore sociology student would give such as "I want to help people". Are your intentions pure? Or do you want to go to law school because you are some power/money hungry, egotistical sociopath? If it's the latter, I'm afraid my words forthcoming won't do much to motivate you. However, if it is the latter, then suck it up. Because if you are truly a sociopath you shouldn't be dealing with emotional burnout anyways, so stick to a very disciplined routine because my words on emotional motivation will do nothing for you.

Most pursuits cannot endure the rigors of LSAT studies nor law school unless built upon by a passion that is pure in truth, justice, or nobility. Now don't get me wrong, the paycheck of successful lawyers is alluring, but it's a bonus and not something a sustainable pursuit can be built on. Maybe you want to bring honor to your family, maybe you want to solve injustices in the world, or maybe you want to prove to that special someone in your life, that you are worthy of their love (love is definitely a powerful positive motivator, but seeing as I'm lacking in this category I will not write about it's fruitfulness). The heart of human excellence often begins to beat when you discover a pursuit that absorbs you, frees you, challenges you, and gives you a sense of meaning, joy and passion (not my quote).

Any passion which you persistently seek and hold in your mind will eventually seek out expression. Think to yourself, really, think to yourself, imagine yourself, as the person you want to become. As the person who has successfully carried out, and pursued their passion. Really sit and meditate on it. Do this for 10 minutes before deciding to close the books for the day. During this time, you should be reminded why you are taking persistent, and continuous action toward attaining and pursuing this passion. Some of this may sound corny, but you have to remember, this is freakin hard. Most of us are shooting for a top 3% score (170). To reach this score, you have to be willing to do what the lower 97% of test takers failed to do.

Something else which personally carries me is my competitiveness. Most of us are shooting for some really great schools. At these really great schools, we are all going to be competing against some very intelligent people. Hell, we are going to be competing against some of the greatest political, legal, and philosophical minds of our generation. I'm going to earn my place among these minds and you can to. It this a little egotistical? Yes, slightly. Is it wrong? No, not at all. As Steve Jobs said, "the ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do".

I'm going to leave you with a quote that popped up on my browser today off of an app that some really goofy people suggested to me ( @Sami @montaha.rizeq @Jessica_Kuba )

How many success stories do you have to hear before you write your own?

Good luck, and Merry Christmas.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @jknauf you ended up getting momentum?? Yaaaay! I should get paid for this lol

btw you gentlemen gave some pretty thought provoking advice. I have nothing to add haha.
    @montaha.rizeq Yes Mam
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    btw you gentlemen gave some pretty thought provoking advice. I have nothing to add haha.
    I used to do some freelance writing for a philosophy / psychology blog, so I had something to offer.
  • TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    690 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I basically look at it this way: I have the GPA I need, the softs, and everything else. All that is between me and my dream school(s) are a bunch of studying and work I need to put into this test.
    So you haven't taken the test? Not already working as an attorney?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    So you haven't taken the test? Not already working as an attorney?
    Na, I currently work in finance. Going to law school in 2018 :)
  • loosekanenloosekanen Alum Member
    138 karma
    I've got the opposite situation as Alex, funnily, with the same drive. I don't have the grades, the softs, the advantages. I was a complete idiot in my early 20s and am an entirely different individual at 33. Unfortunately, the system is not designed to separate those individuals. I've got nothing in my file as of now that would cause an admissions counselor to stop and say, "Wait, we're really going to reject THAT?!" incredulously. Everyone has a few letters where smart people say nice things about them. Plenty of people have work experience with successful accolades. A lot of applicants even went to Iraq/Afghanistan to get shot at so that doesn't make me special either. The only thing I have is a hypothetical LSAT score that makes someone at a desirable school take a chance on an old guy who spent his teens/early 20s doing drugs and the last decade justifying nation building on the other side of the world. It's literally all I've got.

If I'm going to get rejected I at least need to look at myself in the mirror after that judgment and not regret my actions. Pumping through 10 more practice tests even when my last five test average is already 173 is what I need to do to reconcile a "no" on that regret question. I can work 6:30-5 and then study. In the grand scheme it's a small price to pay. It doesn't hurt that I won't have to play rocket target lottery ever again.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    I am a splitter. 3.2 gpa in college. Good work history, decent volunteering, and a masters degree from a well received business school (though it means nothing here).

Where does my motivation come from? Well, I have spent my entire life standing up the "man". I was supposed to do "x", but did "y". I was supposed to act one way, but acted another.

My parents wanted one path, I chose one that makes me happier. From that, besides a natural motivation to pursue a form of law that will hopefully allow participation in the political process, comes a secondary drive to forge a path that is mine and mine only.

My motivation is sinister as well as hopeful. I pride myself in difference, and I want to come to this profession not for money, but for the intent to change something, anything, about how a person perceives this country and how we will go out of our way to help. Especially lawyers.

Motivation is always self inflicted. It's not a pump up video. It's a sense of self. What about law drives you? What drives you in general? Results shouldn't be the main driver. You have to be the main driver.

Find it in yourself, and it will come.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    I am also kind of a bro in the weight lifting sense, so I get hyped from a solid workout/ trance beat.

Yes, I know, it's embarrassing.
    328 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I'm also not really a fan of motivation. I tend to subscribe to the school of thought that says motivation is a fleeting feeling and the real answer to conquering long-term goals is discipline. That is something that if you cultivate you'll never lose! It is what I attribute to my ability to fight through the burnout.
    This is actually totally me. I don't need motivation to go to the gym, to do my school work, or anything else really. I just get up and do it. This actually gave me a pretty good idea about what I'm missing for the LSAT: being disciplined about my study routine. I think seeing gains might make me feel less discouraged all the time, so I'm going to try to stick to a consistent schedule. Thank you for this :)

@jknauf said:
    To reach this score, you have to be willing to do what the lower 97% of test takers failed to do.
    Not all test takers are created equal ;) But this is a good point to make. I think I need to start putting in more work. I've definitely been fortunate enough to reach a lot of the goals I made for myself: graduating with honors from a good school, getting some highly competitive post-grad fellowships, etc. I think LSAT just bums me out because it's a different kind of learning I have to do. I should start to believe that I'll really hit my target score :)

@loosekanen said:
    If I'm going to get rejected I at least need to look at myself in the mirror after that judgment and not regret my actions.
    This is true. I don't want to have to face a rejection knowing that I didn't put in full effort during my prep. I'll always be stuck wondering what I could have done differently. I definitely don't want to have to face that but somehow this is never really something that crosses my mind at this point in my study. All my application materials and essays are finished. I spent months writing them and perfecting every last syllable. I haven't yet taken the LSAT because I want to make sure that I get the score that I'm aiming for to have a good app, but somehow I'm always annoyed by the test.

@vduran1988 said:
    Motivation is always self inflicted. It's not a pump up video. It's a sense of self. What about law drives you? What drives you in general? Results shouldn't be the main driver. You have to be the main driver.
    I've never thought of this before! I always figured I'd just need discipline, but I think I not only need to discipline myself but think of myself and my work differently to achieve my goals without feeling so emotionally let down. Thank you for this :)

@vduran1988 said:
    I am also kind of a bro in the weight lifting sense, so I get hyped from a solid workout/ trance beat.

Yes, I know, it's embarrassing.
    No worries. I'm that way when it comes to long distance running and I listen to trance music while doing that as well. It gives me such a rush.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 said:
    I think seeing gains might make me feel less discouraged all the time, so I'm going to try to stick to a consistent schedule. Thank you for this :)
    Of course! And you're right! Once you start seeing the gains, it becomes a lot easier to keep going. On my diagnostic I missed 6-7 LR questions and was stuck missing that number for 2 months. Recently I've been able to get that down to -3 on average. I've seen similar results with LG too. Seeing actual progress lets me know it is possible and helps me to keep going. Discipline helps me get through the days in between.

Miracles are great like Jnauf says, but never consider anything to do with a test a miracle. The guy who went from 130-171 put in a lot of hard work and time to get there!

:)
    328 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    On my diagnostic I missed 6-7 LR questions and was stuck missing that number for 2 months. Recently I've been able to get that down to -3 on average.
    That's amazing. What's your study routine typically like, if you don't mind me asking?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @lawschoolstuff16 said:
    That's amazing. What's your study routine typically like, if you don't mind me asking?
    Haha Thanks! And no problem!
    Well, right now my schedule in general has been a bit hectic due to work and other obligations. To be honest, I've just been following the customizable 7Sage study scheduler. (Usually has me doing about 20 hours of prep a week) I try to prep for 2ish-hours every morning before work and do a full day of study on Saturdays with Sundays as a rest day. I was trying to prep for a while after work, and my brain was too fried by the time I got home. Starting next month, however, I'm just going to be treating my prep as my full-time job. I'm hoping that's when I can begin PT'ing in earnest and seeing major gains!! :)

• Jessica_KubaJessica_Kuba Core Member
    461 karma
    @jknauf said:
    I'm going to leave you with a quote that popped up on my browser today off of an app that some really goofy people suggested to me ( @Sami @montaha.rizeq @Jessica_Kuba )

How many success stories do you have to hear before you write your own?
    I can't believe I'm just seeing this, so awesome that you got the app :)
    1741 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 said:
    Not all test takers are created equal ;) But this is a good point to make.
    Definitely!

Keep this in mind: The LSAT isn't whats causing you to feel emotionally burned out. You have to recognize it's not to blame for dissatisfaction, your thoughts and feelings regarding the LSAT are what make you dissatisfied.

Good luck :)
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Member
    edited December 2016 423 karma
    I'll skip the philosophy and bring some motivation (even though you don't need it!) --

Mind over matter. Forget burnout. Keep going. Relish this unique challenge in all its glory and pain. At the end of it all, you'll sit down once more for 3.5 - 4.0 hours, pencil and paper in hand, fill in some bubbles, and alter the trajectory of your life in a way that allows you to accomplish your dreams. Where else can you do that but the LSAT?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @jknauf said:
    The LSAT isn't whats causing you to feel emotionally burned out.
    Ehh... I'm not too sure about this, at least not in all cases. I do think people get mentally/emotionally burned out performing extremely cerebral activities for long periods of time -- such as prepping for the LSAT. But I am sure in many cases you're probably correct.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @"Creasey LSAT" said:
    Mind over matter. Forget burnout.
    If only it was always that easy. I think when you feel burnout "just forgetting" it will often lead to further problems down the line. You need to rest the mind like you do any other muscle for it to recover. When it comes to things like the LSAT, that are indeed important enough to change your life, you have to take care of yourself mentally, emotionally, and physically. But that last part inspired the heck outta me. It's true! What other test can do that for you!
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Ehh... I'm not too sure about this, at least not in all cases. I do think people get mentally/emotionally burned out performing extremely cerebral activities for long periods of time -- such as prepping for the LSAT.
    You just added another element. That element is mentally burned out.

Emotional burnout, for example, is what results when you're in some type of long term abusive relationship, or your cat just died, or you are just sick and tired of prepping for a test because of how long the process is taking. In other words, fed up. Mental burnout is what results after a long day of tough cognitive tasks. Physical burnout is obviously the burnout you feel when you are spending to much time at the gym. You yourself control your emotions.

There is no one out there who is improving two points every prep test and is feeling emotionally burned out. The emotional burnout results from your thoughts and feelings towards yourself, and the test.
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Miracles are great like Jnauf says, but never consider anything to do with a test a miracle. The guy who went from 130-171 put in a lot of hard work and time to get there!
    Miracles are great! I'll say that now, because you just kind of added it to my words like you did above.

Make no mistake about it, everyone feels some type of burnout eventually because let's face it, we're all human. Hopefully? Hard work, discipline, and persistence are all required to do well on this test. The use of miracles in my words was to illustrate the theme of faith. The guy who went from a 130-171, must have had faith in himself. Otherwise, what would cause him to keep pushing forward?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @jknauf said:
    You just added another element. That element is mentally burned out.
    Emotionally/mentally. the slash denotes and/or as these aren't actually separate categories of burnout.
    @jknauf said:
    Emotional burnout, for example, is what results when you're in some type of long term abusive relationship, or your cat just died, or you are just sick and tired of prepping for a test because of how long the process is taking. In other words, fed up. Mental burnout is what results after a long day of tough cognitive tasks. Physical burnout is obviously the burnout you feel when you are spending to much time at the gym. You yourself control your emotions.

There is no one out there who is improving two points every prep test and is feeling emotionally burned out. The emotional burnout results from your thoughts and feelings towards yourself, and the test.
    @jknauf said:
    You yourself control your emotions.
    This just isn't accurate though. And your idea that it is the result of you and your feelings is one of the biggest myths about burnout. "Emotional" burnout doesn't result from your thoughts and feeling towards yourself, and/or the test. Burnout is the result of chronic stressors. Research shows there are a few areas that put one at risk for burnout: work overload, lack of control, lack of reward, and a few more I’m forgetting. But again, at the root of it all is this idea of prolonged stress. All the research shows that it is environmental stressors (and not your feelings that cause burnout.)

I actually only know this because I took an interesting neurobiology class that looked at the burnout phenomenon from a psychological perspective. I learned that emotional, mental, and physical burnout are not actually distinct types of burnout. Rather, burnout is burnout, and there are physical, mental, and emotional symptoms one experiences as a result. In theory, one can very well be scoring 180 after 180, be 100% happy with their progress and study efficacy, but the mental exhaustion will eventually lead to burn out, regardless of how you feel about the task itself.

Burnout is actually much more complicated than described above, but, at the end of the day, vis-a-vis burnout, stress and mental exhaustion are the main culprits. Also, people don't always control their emotions. Depression, for example, is something we don't have control over; it is also a likely outcome from untreated burnout.

I also just want to add that I only felt it was important to highlight these distinctions not to argue, but because I know first hand how serious burnout can be. And I think the myth of attributing it to your feelings and saying you are in control of those feelings can be a dangerous notion.

If you or anyone else is interested in learning more about burnout and some possible ways to help mitigate its negative effects, check out Dr. Christina Maslach. She is a leading researcher on burnout and has a great book called "The Truth About Burnout" and I also still have the PowerPoints for the class I took and could email those to anyone who is interested as well.

@"Alex Divine" said:

Burnout is the result of prolonged stress and mental exhaustion

Hm, interesting. So I guess we really need to look at what stress is. Stress or ‘stressors’ stem from something that disturbs our physical or mental equilibrium.

If I absolutely love doing logic games, will I become stressed doing logic games? No. While sure, logic games are mentally taxing, a stimulus being mentally taxing does not inevitably lead to mental exhaustion.

If I absolutely hate doing reading comprehension, will I become stressed during reading comp? Yes, why? Because 'the LSAT authors are stupid, nobody writes like this, why is this even a section on the lsat, etc'. My underlying thoughts and feelings towards reading comp are causing me to become stressed.

Regardless, believe it; do not believe it, to each their own. If it helps anyone to think the slightest bit more positively I’m glad I could help.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    @jknauf said:
    If I absolutely love doing logic games, will I become stressed? No.
    This is just patently incorrect. You can absolutely become stressed from doing things you love. And stress is way more complicated than the dictionary definition above. There are different types of stress, for example, eustress. This seems to be what type of stress you'd most likely experience in your example about logic games. We all do things we love that can cause us stress. For example, adrenaline junkies tend to be the most common type of people who enjoy the stress, but nonetheless become burned out. I, for example, absolutely love finance/day trading. It is also probably the thing that stresses me out to most, too.

ETA: I definitely appreciate your optimistic view on things though, man. Positivity can go a long way with this test!

You can absolutely become stressed from doing things you love
    Absolutely, you're missing the underlying point. But I'm not going to hijack a perfectly useful thread in order to try and validate my thoughts. If you're really concerned, send me a DM