Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Often to Take PrepTests?

aidanknicholsonaidanknicholson Free Trial Member
in General 9 karma
As part of my LSAT preparation, I am taking sporadic prep tests to gauge my strengths, weaknesses, and overall progress/improvement. If any of you do the same (take sporadic prep tests while studying), how frequently do you take them? Do you take them randomly or whenever you feel like it? Do you take them after a certain amount of time since your last prep test?

Cheers,

Aidan N.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    First, learn the basics of logic and each section. During this time while you are still learning, drill individual sections from older tests, generally speaking 1-35.

Once you have a good grasp of the fundamentals of each section, move on to your PT phase. One a week is generally what people will recommend. You want to make sure you are utilizing PTs in the right way. That means taking them timed in testing conditions. Then, doing a thorough blind review afterwards, and taking the proper amount of time to drill and address weaknesses that the PT has revealed to you. Taking them sporadically is generally not the right way though. Even saying one per week is arbitrary. If you take a PT and find you need tons of work on PSA/SA questions, it might take you the next week just to return to your prep materials to review and drill those questions until you address your problem with them. There's no point in taking PTs if you have weaknesses you know you need to work on. PTs are finite and so is your time, so use both of them wisely. However, one a week seems to be, on average, a good sweet spot to start at.

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Covered it all.

Start taking practice tests when you feel that you have all of the fundamentals down.
    I took 2 or 3 per week...usually 2.
    If, after BRing a test, you feel that you're lacking in terms of the fundamentals, stop PTing...start drilling and reviewing lessons. When you feel "solid" again, start PTing.
  • aidanknicholsonaidanknicholson Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    Thank you, @"Alex Divine" and @MrSamIam for your responses! I will definitely take that approach rather than sporadic PTs.

Would you mind clarifying what "PSA/SA questions" are and what "BRing a test" is?
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    Hey @neuro.akn

Check out these videos from youtube. It's JY going over the BR method
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    @neuro.akn

JY is the 7sage instructor. I first learned about him by his LG videos. The BR videos are what sold me on the course.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @neuro.akn said:
    Would you mind clarifying what "PSA/SA questions" are and what "BRing a test" is?
    They were just examples of question types I gave. But they are acronyms for pseudo-sufficient assumption questions and sufficient assumption questions. BR'ing = Blind Reviewing which is when you circle any and all questions you are unsure of during the timed PT, then after the test, you go back and do those questions without any timing restrictions. The videos Jknauf posted above are JY explaining it in detail, so check them out!
  • apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    edited December 2016 696 karma
    Quality over quantity. If it takes you a whole week to take one PT then take the whole week but master it. I approach it from the view that I'd be better off mastering the last 20 exams rather than taking every PT since 36 to the current, even though taking around 45 PTs may sound more impressive. Either way, the answer to your question depends on how long it takes you to blind review. If you can get a quality score after blind reviewing and still have time to take a second test that week and do the very same, then you can take two a week. Otherwise, it would make no sense to take more than one.
  • aidanknicholsonaidanknicholson Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    Thank you all for your input! I will take this advice when approaching PTs during my preparation period.