Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT New Year's Resolution!?

AlexAlex Alum Member
edited January 2017 in General 23929 karma
Happy New Year Everyone! Hope everyone is off to a great start in 2017.

What are some of your LSAT-related or non-LSAT related resolutions?

I'll go first:

1) My LSAT-related resolution is to be more consistent with my prep. Because of my job, it's been hard to always study as much as I'd like to daily. Some days after work I'll study 6 hours and other days only 1 or 2.

I also want to stop letting myself off of the hook when I don't understand why something is wrong on the RC section. RC has always been my best section and sometimes I am just like, "WTF, how is B wrong and E correct!?!" Well, when that happens from now on I am not going to stop re-reading the passage until I can find a line cite proving the answer.

You won't beat me LSAT ;)

2) Non-LSAT-related resolution/goal is to find more value in the things I have and own. It's hard to explain, but for a long time I've gone through life hoping the next gadget, big paycheck, car, designer shirt, etc., would being me happiness. Sadly, this has not been the case. Except for anything I buy from the Bose store, lol. I love their stuff and it always makes me genuinely happy :) So I'm just going to be more happy with what I already have. Happy with less.

Also, I'm finally going to unsubscribe from all the companies who send me spam emails. I'll do it ... First thing tomorrow ... lol

Comments

• DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @"Alex Divine" great resolutions! My goals: 1) accept my December LSAT score with grace-- I am genuinely in the dark about how I did. 2) spend less money/save up 3) find a job and work full time before law school 4) learn to say no to people without feeling guilty 5) eat healthy
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    I like this idea.

LSAT related
    Start using all of the time allotted per section efficiently. So far in my PT's, once I finish a section, I just sit there until time runs out. I rarely run out of time on any section besides LG (last few tests I have finished with a minute or two to spare on that section). I think I could get several of the questions correct that I missed on the first run of the rest of the sections if I used the last few minutes to go back through and verify my work. An easy example is PT 58 that I completed yesterday, on LR1 I finished in 32mins while missing 7, RC missed 9 while finishing in 30mins, and LR2 I finished in 29 minutes while missing 5. On that test, if I would have missed only half of questions that I did by not going back, it would have sent my adjusted score from 160 to 166...or if I wound up only missing 1 per section (better than what I am currently BR'ing), that would have resulted in a 171 (leaving LG alone).

Non-LSAT
    Continue losing weight and getting my strength back. Until about four weeks ago, I had not lifted heavy since going on blood thinners/getting blood clots in August 2015. Initially, it was to reduce the risk of the clots breaking free and wrecking havoc, but afterwards that risk subsided it was mostly laziness mixed with a bit of depression (cat died, got dumped by long-ish term girlfriend while on tour, and developed blood clots within a 3 month span in 2015). I get an awesome high from lifting heavy (used to compete as a power lifter) which has been missing from my life. I'd like to leave the service in better shape than when I came in, so the only way to do that is to keep my nutrition and workouts in check. I have about 30 pounds to go until I'm at my pre-enlistment walking weight.

Finish paying off my consumer debt and bank money for law school. This is a goal for 2017 thru the end of my contract in 2019. If I stick to my current plan, I could attend law school consumer debt free with enough money banked for at least a year's worth of living expenses. When you factor in the GI Bill and potential VA disability, I could conceivably leave law school without any debt (consumer debt, undergrad loans, or graduate loans).
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    Stop being a little B and do more PTs, hahaha. That's really my top goal for the LSAT this year, aside from not sucking at RC anymore.
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    edited January 2017 328 karma
    Although I'm not a big fan of resolutions, I definitely think this is a good idea for a discussion post :)

My LSAT resolutions --

1) Much like yourself, I want to take my time and put in the effort to be more meticulous in my review and understanding of the material.
    2) Make sure that I am more consistent in my studying, either by restructuring my schedule or doing whatever else I need to do to make sure that my priority besides working is my LSAT. 6 months and 5 points until I get to my target score. I have no excuses not to take the June 2017 LSAT.

Personal resolutions --

1) Continue to focus on my growth, and less on my setbacks. I have a tendency to focus on the negatives but I think for the past year I've been trying to be more positive and to try and make small goals for myself every day, and it's been working on making me more productive and happier overall.
    2) Learn to value things more. I always buy new things / throw out old things / move on from everything too quickly. The past year I've really learned to take in the little things, and to learn to care more about the things in my surroundings: be it people or products.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    LSAT Resolutions:

1. Average -0 on games. Been doing around -2 or -3 on average but alot of those misses are careless mistakes.

2. Avoid being too under-confident on easy to medium LR questions. Under-confidence on the easier questions end up sinking my time and messes up my pacing.

Personal Resolutions:

1. Learn some useful skills like web-development after my final LSAT take.
    2. Go to Vegas and travel a little bit
    3. Take daily cold showers. (The few times I did it, it gave me a good jolt of energy)
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Member
    edited January 2017 423 karma
    LSAT:

Assuming I don't hit the 167-170 I'm looking for from December, I'll keep practicing everyday all day until February's administration. Specifically, I want to better prepare myself for the likelihood of another novel game type scenario. There's about 12-15 games circular, mapping, and non-formulaic games dating back to PT1 that I want to foolproof. I also want to keep fresh on my RC and LR drilling. Some 175+s and -0 sections on repeat PTs is also a goal.

Personal:

Cook more often and eat/order out less frequently.
  • cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
    190 karma
    LSAT Resolution:

Finally commit to finishing up the 7sage curriculum. I'm still in undergrad so literally, for a year and half, I've been on and off with prep because work piles up and such. But hopefully, due to being strategic with my scheduling this final semester of college, I can finally commit to prepping hard until June (considering I'll be scoring in my target range of course). A year and half later, after a blueprint course, an lsat trainer, 2 bibles and a 7sage course, hopefully I'll finally get close to that 170+. But most importantly, the resolution is to stay committed, stay hungry and finally get through this prep. No more effing around.

Personal:

Get back on track with exercise. I've lost 15 pounds of muscle due to busyness regarding school and prep, but I need the exercise to function and to expand attention span. Also, to read like I used. I used to be a voracious reader, but everything has fallen off due to all my commitments and I miss reading the most. It'll also help with the LSAT. Also, get back into a consistent meditation routine. That, of all habits I've picked up in my life, has been one of the most important and impactful which has lead to happiness and mental clarity these past 3 years. A must for the LSAT.

• TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    edited January 2017 690 karma
    No LSAT related resolution because December was my final take. Not taking it again.

But my non LSAT resolution is to put the right people in place to run my businesses so that I can solely focus on law school in the fall.
  • TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    690 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Non-LSAT-related resolution/goal is to find more value in the things I have and own.

Can definitely relate to this 100%.
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 said:
    6 months
    not to burst your bubble but you have 5 months if you're taking it in June. you probably know this but I did something similar to this once and definitely thought I had an entire extra month of time... lol
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    Great post @"Alex Divine"

LSAT related resolution:
    1) Increase my average by at least 10 pts. I am averaging 160 right now and my BR is in the low 170's. So I have to get better at taking the test. I will be quitting my job soon to study full-time. Don't take that privilege for granted. Study.
    2) Do not move on from LR questions during your review until you understand why you got them wrong.
    3) Continue improving on LG section. I have come such a long way on this section.
    4) Continue to habitualize effective reading habits in the RC section. Focus on main points and on reasoning structure but also retain important details.

Personal resolutions:
    1) lose 15 pounds
    2) meditate consistently
    3) do not drink alcohol
  • Help2222Help2222 Member
    240 karma
    Take LSAT in June 2017!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    LSAT goals: See all my students surpass me.

Non-LSAT: matriculate somewhere excellent, publish something, enjoy my final months before school takes over my life for the rest of my life!