Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Transfer

emmanuelntowemmanuelntow Alum Member
in General 37 karma
Hopefully it doesnt come to this and I get into the law school I want or one that I am satisfied with, but just out of curiosity too, what is the law school transfer process like? Do you apply with LSAT scores as well? New recommendations or the same old one will work? And what factor is considered the highest?

I recently read an article that said that the most transfer students were those going into Harvard Law School interestingly enough. Not saying I wanna go there but there might be better chances when transferring.

Comments

• emmanuelntowemmanuelntow Alum Member
    37 karma
    Any thoughts?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Hmm, @david.busis maybe?

I do know that this is definitely an option. So, with the Harvard transfers, I imagine those are largely drawn from T4 - 14 schools, and that they are students in at least the top 10% of their classes. Basically, 1L gives you one last chance to distinguish yourself. Maybe you didn't have quite the GPA/LSAT to get into Harvard; you would have been a huge gamble. Well, maybe UVA takes that risk and offers you a spot. School starts and it turns out, you're incredible. You beat out the field and rank as the top student in your class. So, if you apply for a transfer, how does this look from Harvard's perspective? Well, UVA took the risk on you, and now that that risk is paying off, Harvard gets the opportunity to reap all the rewards. If you're Harvard, what's not to love?
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma
    Your 1L grades matter more than anything else for transfers. Schools no longer have to predict how you'll do based on your UGPA and LSAT, though they may still look at those.
  • CrushLSATCrushLSAT Member
    150 karma
    @david.busis Thanks for that feedback! Just out of curiosity, would a person still be able to write an LSAT once they started law school or they are stuck with whatever the LSAT score(s) they used for the law school admission when they transfer?
  • emmanuelntowemmanuelntow Alum Member
    37 karma
    Yea, I have that same question as CrushLSAT. After taking it the last time I wouldnt want to take it again but if a school would take me because those scores were improved it would make sense to try taking it again. And also to push the question a bit more, if one hypothetically does super well (3.8GPA) from a 2nd tier law school, is that good enough reason to consider applying to a 1st tier/t-14 school as a transfer?
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma
    @CrushLSAT since transfers are all about your 1L grades, I think that studying for the LSAT while in law school would be a poor use of your time. @emmanuelntow doing super well is going to be largely defined by your class rank. If you're in the top 5% of your class, then it could certainly make sense to try to transfer to a better school.