Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

x

caseyleecaseylee Member
edited May 2018 in General 18 karma
x

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited January 2017 11542 karma
    Edited.
    edited January 2017 11542 karma
    @caseylee said:
    I have been sober since March 2010.
    Beautiful! Congrats <3

11542 karma
    Hmm....this is a tough one. I think your story can fit for both a strong PS and Addendum...but like you said since this topic is unavoidable, I would like to think this story would fit better as a compelling addendum since it's a direct impact to your grades. Plus it's always important to have a "happy ending" and since you said you ended up getting all As and Bs, this can fit perfectly as an addendum. Keep in mind though, an addendum shouldn't exceed one page!
    @caseylee said:
    Some other personal statements I am thinking about writing about is that I have Crohn's disease or about my upbringing. My father grew up in poverty and I wanted to shed some light on how his values were instilled in me and tie that into my essay and why I want to study law.
    This is also very awesome. You're someone who is full of personal stories and life experiences, I can relate <3. I wouldn't worry about choosing a PS topic, your life is far from bland haha.

@david.busis, thoughts? I'm sure you could provide a stronger outlook/expertise. :)
  • SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma
    @caseylee Many props to you for overcoming your addiction. I agree that it definitely speaks to your character. I can understand why it continues to be a defining experience.

I'm not an expert but I would personally gravitate towards your other options for a couple reasons:

1. You overcame this challenge 7 years ago. I think as someone reviewing apps, I'd be more interested in hearing how you meet the challenges of your daily life today. If it still poses a challenge, I would not name that in the application.

2. While it's a topic that can't be avoided, it's a risky one to make the defining element of your application. Not everyone may react the same way. It may be beneficial to mitigate risk with your application given your earlier academic record.

3. I think if your personal statement offers a compelling look at who you are today - how you think, what you're doing, etc. - the story of what you went through and how far you've come will be clear for them. As you said, the admission committee will be aware of your background as you'll have to enclose an addendum. The juxtaposition of the two will tell the story for you.

Whichever way you choose to go, I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll find a way to make it meaningful :)
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    I think you should tell the story that most fully captures you. If that's a story about recovering from addiction, and if you're comfortable with some risk, I don't think it's crazy to write about it—as long as you emphasize the recovery part. On the other hand, it would also be valid to write a less risky and potentially more bland personal statement about, say, your interest in law (although that might be tied to your recovery).

If it goes in a PS, the point is to tell a story about yourself. If it goes in an addendum, the point is to explain and contextualize your academic record.

Crohn's could work, though it sounds a little more DS-y. Your father's poverty shouldn't be the focus of any essay, since you want to write about yourself, though I suppose you could write about how he inculcated you with his values. That's going to be a hard essay to pull off, though, because it probably doesn't lend itself to a story.
  • sweezyseasonsweezyseason Member
    edited January 2017 262 karma
    @caseylee hey! tons of great advice above, I just wrote my PS about something similar so I thought I'd chime in.

First of all congrats, your journey is incredible and I think you should share it if you feel comfortable doing so. I have OCD and it definitely has impacted my gpa, it was undiagnosed for most of my life and I suffered the brunt of it during the last few years of my undergrad. I was unsure about including it in my PS but honestly it's a part of who I am so I think it's necessary. I wrote a lot about when I first started suffering from the anxiety, the toll it took on me, my personal life, and my academics. But right after writing about how challenging it was, I shifted towards how much I've learned from it. I'm honestly such a happier, healthier, and stronger person now (as I'm sure you are :)). I wrote about how my OCD has challenged me in so many ways, and how proud I am for seeking treatment and feeling better.

People are often scared to talk about these things because, well it's scary, but this is reality. I think your journey is what sets you apart from everyone else, so I would encourage writing about it and about everything you've learned from it. Talk about how it motivates you.

Hope this helps!
  • caseyleecaseylee Member
    edited May 2018 18 karma
    x
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Member
    423 karma
    I think 7 years of sobriety is long enough to warrant a PS on addiction. Have at it!