PT18.S2.Q23 - teachers are effective only when

M.Yanka106M.Yanka106 Member
edited January 2017 in Logical Reasoning 113 karma
Hello,

Could someone please check my work and let me know if what I have below is correct? I felt like this is a conditional heavy question. It took me 45 minutes to work out this question. Is there any quick way to go about questions like these (or is the answer more practice?)

This is how I translated each sentence in the question-

S1- Teachers effective → Teachers have the power to make decision in classroom

S2- /Teachers have the power to make decision in classroom → /enable students to make decision

= enable students to make decision → Teachers have the power to make decision in classroom

S3- Independent learners → making their own decision

S4- Teachers effective → Teachers have the power to make decision in class room

Putting it all together:

[S1] Teachers effective [S2] Enable students to make decision → Teachers have the power to make decision in class room

[S3] Independent learners → Capable of making their own decision

A) Could be true. Mistaken reversal of S3
B) Could be true. S[1] and [S2] are not chained together to reach a valid/invalid conclusion
C) Could be true. Same as answer choice B.
D) True statement
E) Correct answer because it is false according to S2

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-18-section-2-question-23/

Comments

• Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
    274 karma
    Hi There,

so here is my shot at it.

I don't know how long it took you to answer it.

I sort of did it differently. I just jumped in and took the "risk" of connecting them. Of course, along the way by doing this, I am exposing myself to "jumps/assumptions'. But if you had not do this innitialqy, the last sentence should have helped you to chain everything up.

So the answer choice confirms a sufficient/necessary component. And when that happens, the onl y thing that kicks out form this trigger is the NA.

So there you chose E right away and forget the rest of them.

And in regard with your analysis, here are my comment:

Answer choice A: I am not sure if they did no an illegal reversal. But from what I can tell, when you are confirming a NA, nothing checks out. If that is what you meant by illegal reversal.

Rest of them is fine.

The trick behind this question is 3. First, the argument is mixed up where it intended to bother you on your chaining. Second, it is testing about whether you understand if you confirm a NA, nothing kicks. But if you confirms a SA, then NA of the following item kicks.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma
    I think the speed for this answer will come from knowing what's possible what inferences you can actually make and have to make when a sufficient condition triggers.

The above statement actually can be put in a neat straight conditional chain instead of two chains like I see you have done.

Premise 1: Teachers Effective (TEP )---> Help Students independent learners (HSI)
    Premise 2: Teachers enable students to make own decision (ESMOD)------> Teachers have power (TP)
    Premise 3: Students becoming Independents learners ( SBIL) -------> Students capability to make own decision (SCMOD)

Conclusion: Teachers Effective (TEP) ------> Teachers have power (TP)

So what this stimulus is actually doing and which I did intuitively is that if teachers have helped students become Independent learners (HSI) then we know they have become Independent learners (SBIL). And if we want to conclude about Teachers having power, then we also need to connect SCMOD---> ESMOD. So its fudging these to sentences together to make an inference. So we get:
    TEP--->HSIL--->SBIL--->SCMOD--->ESMOD--->TP

Now the question is asking us what Must be false if ESMOD is true.
    so when the sufficient condition for ESMOD triggers what is the only thing you CAN conclude? That Teachers must have power. That's it. Anything before doesn't have to occur and are could be true.

Now that we know what must be true that teachers have power ITP) and this question is asking us what must be false, we better not see the opposite of TP. That's exactly what answer choice "E" does. Its says Teachers don't have power, which we know they have to have because teachers enabling students to make their own decisions triggers the necessary condition of TP.

When I did this question, I didn't even look at what could be true. Because I knew there was only one thing that had to be true, so anything opposite of that is must be false.
    I think that's how you pick up speed for this question, knowing what are the only possibilities and what has to be true.

Also, it should not take you 45 min to draw out this question. So at this point you are still learning, so its fine, but It definitely indicates you need more practice diagramming. I would do the conditional quizzes the core curriculum offers to get better and faster at diagramming.
  • M.Yanka106M.Yanka106 Member
    113 karma
    Thank you guys