Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG inflating the BR score?

monika_pmonika_p Alum Member
in Logic Games 194 karma
Hi everyone!

This is kind of a weird question, but it's on my mind whenever I take a PT. I am hovering in the mid-160's right now, and have taken a little under 10 PT's. Games is by far my worst section; only finish 3 of the 4 every time like clockwork. When I go to BR them and have all the time in the world, I usually get a perfect score (not a feat that seems to be uncommon with games when you have unlimited time to finish them).

But this always then brings my BR up into the 170s, and well...this seems inflated to me. BR is supposed to measure potential, and it seems strange to say I'm a solid 170's potential scorer right now when I have such a huge crutch in games. It's like taking out my giant Achilles' heel from the equation every time I BR, and I don't want it getting in my head that I'm doing better than I really am. (Lol I've found that ego is a dangerous enemy with the LSAT.)

Has anyone else ever encountered this issue? Or have a way to BR their games with this in mind? Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    Well, your BR score doesn't necessarily mean you are capable of that score. BR measures your understanding, so when we say that your BR represents your maximum potential, that is very much a theoretical potential. You can't exceed your potential for understanding, but you can't necessarily reach it either. At least until you start scoring in the high 170's, there's going to be a consistent gap between your theoretical potential and what you are actually capable of.

So with LG, what a perfect BR score says is that you possess the fundamental understanding necessary to go -0. Now you've got to figure out the pacing. Fool proofing for time as well as correct answers is essential to this, and also check out the commentaries if you haven't already. I found those really helpful in learning to develop a pacing strategy. You got the skills, you just need to learn to execute.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited January 2017 645 karma
    I remember JY saying in one of his videos that pretty much anyone can solve the games with enough time. Meanwhile, I'd bet that the average person (who hasn't studied for the LSAT) would miss a ton of LR and RC questions even with unlimited time.

My advice is to focus on the process of BR rather than on the BR score itself.
  • monika_pmonika_p Alum Member
    194 karma
    Yep @"Stevie C" I remember JY saying that too, which is what prompted me to ask this. But you're right, it's not so much about the score itself.
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    You can't exceed your potential for understanding, but you can't necessarily reach it either. At least until you start scoring in the high 170's, there's going to be a consistent gap between your theoretical potential and what you are actually capable of.
    ^ I think this was exactly what I was missing. I was viewing BR as a much more oversimplified concept than it really is. It's tempting to look at that number and think "once i patch up my timing, that's what it's gonna be." But it's not an indication of a future score at all, it's just a theoretical potential to give you a gauge of your actual understanding in that current moment. Not to mention that it doesn't even account for the stress or pressure of the real deal.

Thank you! Seems minor but I think I needed that shift in perspective, especially when you're staring at those two glaring numbers after each PT.

Also side note @"Cant Get Right" your webinar on the PT phase was awesome; it's helped me out so much already with navigating this sometimes hazy post-curriculum process :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    @petkova said:
    it's not an indication of a future score at all, it's just a theoretical potential to give you a gauge of your actual understanding in that current moment.
    Couldn't have said it better!

And glad you've been able to benefit from my webinar!