Law School Interview - who's done those before?

jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
in General 822 karma
Hey everyone!

I got an email yesterday with an invite to interview at one of the law schools' I applied at.
Has anyone ever been to a law school interview?? What should I prepare? I'm guessing they will ask about weaknesses in my application, and maybe try to get to know me a little better??

Comments

• mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    I don't think these take place in Ontario so unable to help on this one! (someone please correct me if I'm wrong b/c maybe I should then be preparing as well LOL)

Awesome news, congrats! :)
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @mcmlaw36 Thank you! I think this is a relatively new procedure within a lot of law schools? A friend of mine said the had an interview with Northwestern, and they asked a couple of odd questions alongside checking in on application weaknesses and such.

Was just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience they'd like to share!
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    @jennilynn89 Lots of schools have different interview procedures, so do you mind sharing which school?

I've interviewed at Georgetown and Cornell and they were both tremendously different!
    822 karma
    @bjphillips5 it's for Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law.

Would you mind sharing your interview experiences with me? Please feel free to PM me!
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @mcmlaw36 said:
    I don't think these take place in Ontario so unable to help on this one!
    haha some Canadian law schools do interviews: Osgoode and Dalhousie for sure do interviews very late in the cycle. People who are admitted early on do not get interviewed by them. Interviews take place around April and May I believe.
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    Thanks @DEC_LSAT! I actually think that's fair. When narrowing down individuals late in the cycle, they have something to go off besides raw numbers.

Useful to know.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I haven't done any interviews yet, but still waiting to hear back from most of my schools. Will definitely be following this thread though. Hope you'll let us know how it goes!
    822 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Sure will! Interview is scheduled in February, so I'll try and get some thorough research done before I go!
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    edited January 2017 1137 karma
    @jennilynn89 my Georgetown interview was a group practical interview, where we were given scenarios and asked questions about them to see our ability to cooperate with others and articulate ourselves. My Cornell interview was actually with just recorded videos of staff asking questions and then I had to record my responses. But the questions were fairly standard interview ilk. Asking you to reflect on experiences you have learned from. If there's a list of standard interview questions online, I'd practice those. They're trying to learn better who you are. On top of that, I'd make sure I have responses to questions like these: "Why this school?" or "Why law school?" or "What can you offer our school?" or "Why can our school offer you?"
  • palexandrapalexandra Alum Member
    148 karma
    I'm also interviewing with Drexel in February and was wondering the same thing!
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    Wow. I thought law schools no longer did interviews. That's nuts. Here's to hoping Texas doesn't play by those rules.
    822 karma
    @bjphillips5 Thank you that is super helpful!!! Going to brainstorm some good answers and properly prep.

@palexandra when's your interview?? Let's talk via PM?

@vduran1988 I know!! I was not prepared to interview anywhere haha. But I think this is a wonderful opportunity for law school's to look at their applicants from a more personal viewpoint, and not just as numbers. So here's to hoping for the best!
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @jennilynn89 said:
    I think this is a wonderful opportunity for law school's to look at their applicants from a more personal viewpoint, and not just as numbers.
    you'll do awesome! Just be genuine :)
    822 karma
    @DEC_LSAT Thank you so much!!!! <3
  • rokulkarni2rokulkarni2 Member
    3 karma
    I don't know if you still need any help on this question, but my cousins told me about their interview process. They said it was individual for them, and that they were asked a lot of different questions on their background and application. They said to just be honest and straightforward with your answers and just to try and make a great first impression, dress for success, strong handshake, you know the whole nine yards basically. It could be the same for you or totally different so just be yourself and stay calm.
    822 karma
    @rokulkarni2 This is definitely helpful, thank you!! That's pretty much what I've gathered from most people at this point. I did hear that some law school's have asked some odd questions, but that it was mostly centered around getting to know the applicants on a more personal level. I guess we can really only prepare so much.