Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difference in score between prep tests and actual test

BobDelaneyBobDelaney Member
in General 7 karma
Is there generally a drop in the score of the actual test when compared to the prep tests? By how many points is this drop?

Comments

• BreakthelsatBreakthelsat Member
    82 karma
    It all comes down to the test. Some students score 3-5 points lower on their actual LSAT's.
  • stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma
    I scored a LOT lower on my first LSAT take than on my PTs. Scored about 4 points lower the second time around. I'm not the best test taker though.
  • mk940808mk940808 Alum Member
    209 karma
    Yep, that was the case for me. Scored 5 points lower the first time and 3 points lower the second. I've never had issues with test taking until the LSAT so it's pretty demoralizing.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    On my first take, I scored 3 points lower than I was PTing. It's common to score a few points lower on the real thing.

Nerves, distractions from other people in the room, and the extra experimental section all play a role IMO
  • 224 karma
    I scored 8 points lower then my PT's on my first take and 2 points lower on my second take. I have never had test day anxiety until the LSAT, but it absolutely destroyed me.

Now this isn't the case with everyone. My best friends best score he ever did was on test day. My cousin was the same way too.
  • chgunnschgunns Alum Member
    92 karma
    The test is the same. Just make sure you replicate any reasonable scenario in the PT's. If you require absolute silence to hit your score, you probably will see some bit of a drop off.

However, if you can still hit your target in less than ideal noise conditions, you should be able to do it on test day. Hitting a target score in a crowded coffee shop, or even the main floor of a library rather than a quiet study room can give you quite a confidence boost. "If I can do it here, imagine what I can do on test day!"

If you encounter anything you deem unreasonable on test day, email LSAC. If they offer a retest, take it.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27820 karma
    This is common. The fact that it's the "real" LSAT does mess with our psyches. It's scary, and we don't make good decisions when we're afraid; I think this accounts for the majority of folks who drop from their average. It affected me, and I realized and corrected it immediately. I was being safe and careful where I'm normally bold and confident. Through lots of experience with this test, I knew those "safe" decisions were mistakes. So, I began ignoring what I felt and started making calls based on what my strategies dictated. Even though under pressure, those strategies are aggressive and scary, I had accumulated lots of empirical evidence that they were highly effective. I chose my evidence over my fear. You should do the same.
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @mk940808 said:
    I've never had issues with test taking until the LSAT so it's pretty demoralizing.
    Lol, trust me... I feel ya on that one. Ugh
  • lmekahellmekahel Alum Member
    161 karma
    My friend scored about 15 points lower from her PT's. I think adding an extra section when you PT can be helpful. I tire out pretty quickly and I think its helpful to try and build stamina and not tire too quickly once you get to the last section. I also agree taking the test in not the most ideal test taking conditions can also help you learn to focus when there is noise or others sorts of outside factors that can distract you.
    645 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I chose my evidence over my fear. You should do the same.
    Should this be my first tattoo?
    27820 karma
    @"Stevie C" said:
    Should this be my first tattoo?
    I approve!
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    @"Stevie C" said:
    the extra experimental section all play a role IMO
    what is the best way to prepare for this? should we treat all the sections as if they're the real thing which means we need that level of focus for 5 sections. should we PT with a fifth section starting from phase 1 post-CC @"Cant Get Right" ? thoughts?
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @RafaelBernard said:
    what is the best way to prepare for this? should we treat all the sections as if they're the real thing which means we need that level of focus for 5 sections
    Yes. You'll never know which one is the experimental section, best to get into this mentality.
    1063 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Yes. You'll never know which one is the experimental section, best to get into this mentality.
    thanks! to clarify, you're saying we should always be PTing with an extra section?
    edited January 2017 27820 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Yes. You'll never know which one is the experimental section
    Yeah, never ever ever relax because you think you're on an experimental section. The truth is you have no clue what is experimental and what isn't, so don't even think about it!

And you don't have to PT with 5 sections, @RafaelBernard , but I think it's best to. I always threw in an extra section of whatever I was focussing on as my Section 1. That way, I'd be taking the real sections at my most exhausted. Stamina was never a big deal for me, but it's definitely a huge issue for most people. Better to prepare for it.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @RafaelBernard said:
    you're saying we should always be PTing with an extra section?
    @"Cant Get Right" summed it up better than I ever could.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    you don't have to PT with 5 sections
    i never did this and i scored within my range on the real test. I honestly don't think an extra 35 minutes will change anything. The test goes by fast after the administrative stuff is out of the way. I suggest doing PTs with the app because you have the option of including noise. That was my main concern on test day and thank goodness there was no out of the ordinary noise. The proctors were respectful and did not talk during the test but this is not a guarantee so getting accustomed to some noise is a great idea. Another thing to work on is getting sleep before the test and i think this will occur if you're adequately prepared for the test. The more prepared you are, the less stress you have to deal with. The more I hit my target score, the more i felt prepared and the less I stressed out about the test.
    1063 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    And you don't have to PT with 5 sections, @RafaelBernard , but I think it's best to. I always threw in an extra section of whatever I was focussing on as my Section 1. That way, I'd be taking the real sections at my most exhausted. Stamina was never a big deal for me, but it's definitely a huge issue for most people. Better to prepare for it.
    thanks, everyone! I find my trouble area to be after the 15 min break. I should start PT-ing with 5 sections. I've been putting extra one as section 5 but then I get there and never do it of course. Putting it first would force me to do it, I think.
    @"DEC_LSAT" said:
    I suggest doing PTs with the app because you have the option of including noise.
    yes, I love the app! I always use it. I have cats that scratch at the door and they drove me crazy at first but this last PT I just totally ignored it and it didn't influence my focus *too* much. so yes, mimicking those potential noises is a great idea because you do get better at tuning them out. I have to keep this up with the app.
  • jaybee88jaybee88 Alum Member
    165 karma
    i had a similar experience to those above. -3 my avg on test day, first take, despite never before having test anxiety. i was sure the really easy RC was experimental but it wasnt and i think i ended up doing worse than I wouldve otherwise.

in hindsight i would 100% study with 5 section tests with the experimental being unknown.
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    @"DEC_LSAT" said:
    I suggest doing PTs with the app because you have the option of including noise.
    For those of you with dogs, try and do a couple sections with your dog in the room. Learning to block out my yapping yorkie's collar jingling in the background really helped. You could also try taking a couple practice sections at starbucks, or some other crowed public place.
    edited January 2017 645 karma
    @RafaelBernard said:
    what is the best way to prepare for this? should we treat all the sections as if they're the real thing which means we need that level of focus for 5 sections. should we PT with a fifth section starting from phase 1 post-CC @"Cant Get Right" ? thoughts?
    Personally, I don't PT with a 5th section because mixing and matching PTs is a pain. What I have done is try to get used to taking 3 sections consecutively. Sections 1-3, 15 minute break, section 4. I found that it didn't change my score, but the 3rd section did feel tough after already working for 70 minutes

But yes, if you want to simulate the real LSAT, it would be ideal to practice with 1-2-3, 15 minute break, 4-5.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    There was already a section for this. Great. Thank you for the information. I needed this. I will definitely need go steel myself.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    My set up is in my office upstairs. That sounds idea, but my office is right next to a fairly busy street that has cars running up and down constantly. With that said, I have always allowed my dog to run free around the house and he can be a bit of a pain at times. Do you guys think this is sufficient in terms of environment? It's not a noisy starbucks with music and baristas making coffee in the background so I am not sure if that's good enough.
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    @vduran1988 . That sounds about right to me. I know it will vary depending on the test site, but I'm guessing most of the proctors won't be talking (I hope not), and then the bulk of the noise will be ambient from the others in the room mixed with whatever comes from the outside. My last PT was with someone practicing trombone in the room next door...so, that provided plenty of distraction.
  • Crosby87Crosby87 Alum Member
    121 karma
    What I tend to do is print the real test and then for my experimental section I print one section out of another LSAT with the number of the sections corresponding (i.e. if my LG is section 2, then for the experimental section I will also use a LG which is also section 2). This way, I won't know which one is the experimental and can treat all of them as if they are the real thing
  • haellioshaellios Alum Member
    21 karma

I've been taking 2 full tests back-to-back with a 15 minute break inbetween. I saw the 4+4 section strategy recommended to build stamina, and while it's been great for that, an unexpected benefit is that it's also helped train me out of dwelling on tough sections (or sections where I think I underperformed).

My main worry is on test day I'll be psyched out early by a weird/tough experimental section, so getting accustomed to going for another 5-6 sections even a particularly 'bad' one is my way trying to compensate. :)