Neither Nor Question (Ref. PT22.G4.R4 & PT31.G2.R4)

time_to_gotime_to_go Alum Member
edited January 2017 in Logic Games 276 karma
I'm confused why the arrow splits for PT 22 GAME 4 RULE 4 and the arrow doesn't split for PT 31 GAME 2 RULE 4 even though they both contain the words NEITHER NOR.

I thought the arrow can't be split for NEITHER NOR statements.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    PT 31 the CD game? Rule 4 is not a "neither nor" rule.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited January 2017 8689 karma
    Rule four simply states that in the absence of all J then we get the other pop.
  • Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited January 2017 2426 karma
    Hello

I think you might have misread the rule 5 P is not on the same team as Q as part of the "Neither K nor P is on the same team as N" rule.

Neither K nor P is on the same team as N is translated as: P and K independently --->N. P is not on the same team as Q is translated as: P---> Q so when combining them together, the arrow splits for Q and N, because it says if P, then neither Q nor N. As you already know, neither Q nor N is the same as saying not Q and not N. An "and" statement splits in the necessary condition.

For the second one you mentioned: If neither jazz is on sale, then new pop is, is translated as: nJ and uJ (jointly) ---> nP. In this case, the arrow doesn't split because it's a "joint condition" (neither nJ nor uJ/Not nJ and not uJ) triggers the necessary, when an "and" statement in the sufficient, arrow doesn't split.

This is just how I understood it personally so I would recommend going over the advanced logic lessons under CC again if you haven't already, J.Y. does a much better job explaining there https://7sage.com/lesson/advanced-logic/

Hope it helps