Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Negation Question

SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
I have an issue with the negation of this answer choice, if someone can help me--I would be most appreciative:

Most of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago were transported by boat.

Lsathacks says the negation is this:

Merely half of all trade that came into Western Mexico came by boat.

But, I think the negation should be this:

Between 0-50% of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago were not transported by boat.

Am I wrong in this thinking? Please help out!!

Comments

• Niner PapaNiner Papa Alum Member
    47 karma
    Take my explanation with little clout, since I am a novice.
    I think you are correct. Here's why. The negation of a statement is equivalent to the logical opposite. Since the word "some" in the LSAT world means at least one, possibly all, the logical opposite of at least one is: none. Since the word "most" in the LSAT world means something greater than 50%, possibly all, the logical opposite would be: something less than 50%, which would naturally include anything from 0-50%.
  • M.Yanka106M.Yanka106 Member
    113 karma
    I believe there is no need for the not here

Between 0-50% of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago were [not ]transported by boat.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    @M.Yanka106 so you mean it should say 0-50% of trade goods were transported by boat as opposed to 0-50% of trade goods were not transported by boat?

If so, why?
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    @sweetsecret said:
    Between 0-50% of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago were not transported by boat.
    I think you're negating twice, which is in effect potentially bringing it back to its normal state.

Original statement: "Most" were transported.

Your negation: 0-49% (not most) were not transported. This seems to indicating that most were transported (or could be), which isn't negating the statement.

Here's how I would negate it:

It is not the case that most of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago were transported by boat.

Translation: Most of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago were not transported by boat.

Or: As much as half, but no more, were transported by boat.

• SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    edited January 2017 1278 karma
    @danielznelson ohh I get it now, so we are not negating the fact that they went by boat but rather the amount of trade goods transported by boat if we keep the 0-50%.

Thank you for all the different iterations, I get it now! I think I'll return to this a couple times, just to ensure I understand the negation completely.

Thank you @"jim-4" @M.Yanka106 @danielznelson for your help!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    @sweetsecret I honestly think you could look at the negation either way. The fact is, most didn't go by boat under the negation. And thus, the amount of goods transported is different, as well.
  • M.Yanka106M.Yanka106 Member
    113 karma

Sweetsecret think about the numberline JY uses in the lessons. I think that is the best way to remember this.

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14173 karma

Original sentence: Most of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago were transported by boat.

Reduced: Most X were Y
    X = "of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago"
    Y = "transported by boat"

You know how to negate "most X were Y." You say "it's not the case that most X were Y."

In other words, 0% - 50% of X were Y. In other words, anywhere from no X up to as many as half the X were Y.

Now just plug the referents of X and Y back in.

Here's one way to say it, fully and properly negated: Anywhere from half to zero of the trade goods that came into western Mexico centuries ago were transported by boat.

• lenelson2lenelson2 Member
    523 karma

I just tried to like this once, but I guess 7,348 likes is okay as well.

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14173 karma