Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC GPA vs. Undergrad GPA

d__villad__villa Alum Member
I ran my LSAC GPA and estimated that I will have a 3.29. My overall UG gpa is 3.5.. Needless to say, my first two years of college I made some poor choices. Flash forward, I transferred to a state university and was able to complete the final two years of my undergrad with a 3.9 GPA.

Here is my question.. Are trends looked at during the admissions process?

I'm obviously shooting for a solid LSAT score, I'm just concerned that my GPA is going to raise a red flag and potentially get in the way of acceptances.

Thanks 7sagers!

Comments

• texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    What does the LSAC do that impacts the GPA so greatly? I am kind of confused as to why my GPA wouldn't stay the 3.2 that it already is.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"d__villa" said:
    Are trends looked at during the admissions process?

Yep. So although your overall UGPA matters to adcomms, they like to see upward trends in your grades especially if you decide to write an addendum
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    What does the LSAC do that impacts the GPA so greatly? I am kind of confused as to why my GPA wouldn't stay the 3.2 that it already is.
    LSAC states "US grades are converted by LSAC to a standard 4.0 system in order to furnish law schools with a uniform basis for comparing applicants. LSAC-member schools, in establishing the Credential Assembly Service, have selected a common set of numerical values to represent the various grading systems used by colleges. This system may vary from that of the college you attended."
    http://www.lsac.org/jd/help/faqs-cas
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    LSAC counts every college course you have completed before completing your first bachelor's degree. So, if you started off at one school, got some low grades, transferred to a different school with a different major and got straight A's with a degree GPA of 4.0, LSAC counts ALL of the classes-not just the ones that are from your degree granting institution.
  • d__villad__villa Alum Member
    98 karma
    Great, thanks for the reply! Considering the change between lsac and UGPA.. do you recommend I write an addendum?
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    Okay, thank god. I only went to one school so I should be okay.
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    They also count repeats, if they show up on your transcript. E.g. if you fail a class, and then retake it and get an A, they count the F and the A.

If they only used your GPA from your last school attended/classes that count towards your degree, I would be looking at a substantially higher GPA (3.5-3.6 vs 2.8-2.9).
  • simple_jacksimple_jack Alum Member
    284 karma

Does the LSAC count high school AP class grades, even if your university does not? Just wondering because my uni has my AP credits not counting toward my undergrad GPA.

• 414 karma

Where can I run my LSAC GPA?

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@simple_jack said:
    Does the LSAC count high school AP class grades, even if your university does not? Just wondering because my uni has my AP credits not counting toward my undergrad GPA.

No.

• prernafaithprernafaith Free Trial Member
    59 karma

@somanglee239 said:

Same question^

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

@prernafaith said:

@somanglee239 said:

Same question^

7sage has a calculator

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

An admissions committee will definitely notice an upward trend in GPA, and if you ended up with a 3.9, you are in a much stronger position than if you began college at a 3.9 and ended at a 3.29. If the application allows, you might consider including a GPA Addendum that explains the shift in academic performance. Keep it short, simple, and factual. End with something like, "My GPA at the end of my college experience is a more accurate reflection of my academic potential and ability to succeed as a law student."

Good luck,
    Selene