Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study with Spouse?

sarahmelton6sarahmelton6 Alum Member
in General 169 karma
Hi everyone,

At some point I will find a study buddy, but I have a question...

Has anyone studied with a partner that is not familiar with the LSAT? I going to have my husband help me to review flashcards, and I've talked to him about some of the LR concepts. It was helpful to discuss it with him even though I was still shaky on my explanations and understanding of the concepts. He's interested in helping me and it's a nice way to spend time together so that I am not ignoring him while I study every night. Has anyone else tried studying like this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be useful and not a waste of precious study time?

Thanks.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2017 10774 karma
    @sarahmelton6 said:
    He's interested in helping me and it's a nice way to spend time together
    I would say its okay to have your husband help. But I would not look at it as a way to spend time with him. I think that's where the danger lies. You are looking at precious study time for LSAT as also a way to spend time with your husband. LSAT is a very difficult test. It requires its due respect and complete focus. So I would definitely not recommend doing that.

Instead, I really recommend to schedule in time for both separately. Maybe you can find time for both, not as much of course, but it would be better quality time with him. For example, maybe the time you spend with him is at dinner where you two can talk and enjoy a nice delicious meal together. Light a candle, hold hands, and open a glass of sparkling apple cider (only because alcohol is not recommended with LSAT ;) or something else that you guys have to do together. Sometimes less is more, and what's more important for happiness is to focus on things in life that do need our complete and most productive attention. This way you are going to be more productive in LSAT and happier in your relationship too. <3

Good luck! You'll do great <3
  • monica123monica123 Member
    90 karma
    Hi,

I can relate to this. I don't actually review LSAT material with my boyfriend, but we usually sit next to each other/in the same room and work in silence. We take breaks to eat together or go for walks. Sometimes, if I have a hard time understanding something, we talk through it together. I think it helps that my boyfriend has things to study for as well and tons of work to do.

Having said that, I personally find that explaining LSAT concepts to somebody completely unfamiliar with the exam is a waste of my time. Unless you are the very beginning of you prep, explaining basic concepts like conditional statements or argument structure is not going to be of much help. I've found myself wasting a good 30 minutes going over something basic just so I can talk through the advanced concept I'm trying to understand.

If you are the type of person that needs to study with someone, I'd find a study buddy- either online or in person. Also, encourage your significant other to study for something as well. If he is an professional field, is there a certification he can go for? Is there anything he can do to go above and beyond for work in his spare time? I'd make the most out of the fact that you are studying for your lsat. Your significant other should use this time to be productive as well.

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @Sami said:
    But I would not look at it as a way to spend time with him.
    Not gonna lie, I busted out laughing as soon as I read this.

PLEASE don't use the LSAT as bonding time...learn from my mistake, haha.

Your husband probably isn't the best study buddy. But, you could have him quiz you on definition-based concepts - problem is, the LSAT is a skills test, and you should be studying with someone who possess or is in the process of learning the skills that they test for.
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    edited January 2017 631 karma
    @monica123 said:
    Having said that, I personally find that explaining LSAT concepts to somebody completely unfamiliar with the exam is a waste of my time.
    This.
    @MrSamIam said:
    the LSAT is a skills test, and you should be studying with someone who possess or is in the process of learning the skills that they test for.
    And this!!!

Can relate to both. My boyfriend is currently going for his CFA designations (Chartered Financial Analyst), so we often study together in the same room, silently. If I get SUPER stuck on an LSAT question, I will refer to him as a last resort. But this has always resulted in wasted time. He is a smart guy, but the LSAT, as @MrSamIam said, is a test of certain learned skills. My boyfriend will read a question and not have a clue about the right or wrong answer. It does not matter how intelligent you are - the LSAT is difficult!!! And a "lay" person (for lack of a better word) will likely not fully understand what the LSAT is testing for.

He invariably chooses the wrong answer, then proceeds to argue why it is in fact correct. All I can do is shake my head and laugh because it is the MOST wrong answer out of the 5 choices.
  • sarahmelton6sarahmelton6 Alum Member
    169 karma
    @Sami
    said:

Sometimes less is more, and what's more important for happiness is to focus on things in life that do need our complete and most productive attention. This way you are going to be more productive in LSAT and happier in your relationship too. <3
    So true! I bet anyone who has kids can relate to this as well. Studying for the LSAT requires complete focus, so it is impossible to study if my kids are home. Likewise, it is impossible to enjoy my kids if I am thinking about LSAT concepts in the back of my mind because little ones are so illogical! Thanks for the words of wisdom :)
    169 karma
    @monica123 said:
    encourage your significant other to study for something as well
    Thanks for your response. It sounds like you have worked this out well between you and your boyfriend. My hubs and I also sit together while I study and he often studies something he is interested in or watches sports with his headphones on. We moved our old, huge dining table into the office and both have executive chairs pushed up to it, lol. I think this situation (similar to yours) can be advantageous training for test day when we have to focus on the exam even with other people around us. I agree with you that it is a waste of time to try to explain some of the LSAT concepts to someone who is unfamiliar. I tried doing that and then just ended up doubting everything I was saying because he looked so confused! Best wishes to you, you'll do great!
    169 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    But, you could have him quiz you on definition-based concepts
    Absolutely! This is what I was getting at. I think definition-based concepts would be the most practical thing to have him quiz me on. Beyond that, I think putting the kids to bed for me would be awesome too ;)
    169 karma
    @mcmlaw36 said:
    But this has always resulted in wasted time.
    Thanks so much for sharing. I do not want to set myself up for feeling like I have wasted my time. I am planning to take the test in September but already feel a little behind schedule. Time is precious!
    @mcmlaw36 said:
    All I can do is shake my head and laugh because it is the MOST wrong answer out of the 5 choices.
    This made me laugh!! At least you were able to spot his flaws in reasoning, so maybe not a complete waste of time, no? ;)
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    Haven't spent time with a significant other studying for the LSAT.

But I have with my cat.
    Great study partner.
    Very supportive and quiet.
    And when I talk aloud to ensure I have a solid grasp of the concepts, he just rolls over and naps.

10/10 would recommend.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    I actually do spend time reviewing sections with my wife. I think the process of explaining things on the exam to someone who isn't immersed in studying has been beneficial to my growth on this exam. The way I see it, if I can explain the concepts of a game or an LR problem, or explain how the structure of and RC passage fits together to someone who has never studied for the exam, then I have a firm grasp on the fundamentals.
    10774 karma
    @"The 180 Bro_OVO" said:
    And when I talk aloud to ensure I have a solid grasp of the concepts, he just rolls over and naps.

lol I hope you know I almost choked on my coffee when I read this! :D

I do that with my dogs too! but unlike your cat they actually reply back with a bark of approval or run over to give me a hug! <3
    10774 karma
    @BinghamtonDave said:
    The way I see it, if I can explain the concepts of a game or an LR problem, or explain how the structure of and RC passage fits together to someone who has never studied for the exam, then I have a firm grasp on the fundamentals.
    I actually really like what you are saying here. It makes a lot of sense. Yeah, I agree the answer to studying or not studying with a spouse is not so clear cut. : )
  • WalliumsWalliums Member
    373 karma
    My spouse and I spend time together studying but we're studying for different things (for example, right now we are both at the library of a local university studying [or in my case preparing to study by first coming to the discussion boards]). There's a difference between your hubby learning the LSAT to study it with you versus you spending time studying together. I'm not sure what he does professionally, but maybe in the evenings you set aside quiet time where you both go and "study." For you it will clearly be studying for the LSAT, for him maybe it's reading a novel, writing, or some other quiet pastime. Just a suggestion.