Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Evaluate" LR questions in the 7sage Curriculum?

CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
in General 550 karma
Hi 7sagers,

I was just wondering if "Evaluate" (as in, "Which of the following would be most helpful to know in evaluating the argument above?" or the like) questions are in the 7Sage curriculum? I was looking through the curriculum but I didn't see anything.

Which also makes me wonder if there are any other question types missing/hidden if that is the case. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2017 7468 karma
    Evaluate questions are essentially Strengthen/Weaken questions before you actually strengthen or weaken the argument. Evaluate questions are directly asking you to find an assumption in the argument.

Many times that assumption is quite subtle, so a helpful framework with these questions is to answer each question in the answer choices in both the extreme positive and the extreme negative (unfortunately, I can't be more specific than that because it varies from question to question). One will strengthen the argument; the other will weaken it. Doing so also tends to highlight the irrelevance of the wrong answers, and the other four answers must be irrelevant to the argument.

Hope this helps.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    What @DumbHollywoodActor said. Even though this question type is not in the curriculum, once you drill them by type or see one in the PT and watch the explanation it's really easy to catch on and apply the strategy.

This question type is also in the explanations separated by question type if you have one of the more advanced 7Sage packages.

The only other question type besides this that I think has recently come back and is not in the curriculum is the complete the passage question type. Usually it's a conclusion but sometimes can be treated as a MSS question.
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma
    The right answer choice at its highest extreme (the AC is true) would strengthen the argument, while the right AC at its lowest extreme (the AC is NOT true) would weaken the argument.