Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question Stem: Double Negatives

TheLSATTheLSAT Member
in General 301 karma

Hello,
Is anyone aware of LSAC having an infrequent tendency to introduce a question stem in double negatives?
Example: Instead of stating, "Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?" They otherwise state, "Each of the following, if true, does not weaken the argument EXCEPT?"
Thank you.

Comments

• The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma

Both of those question types are used frequently on the LSAT.

• TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma

Did you read the second question in the example closely? I did not mean a standard weaken except question. I wrote "does not weaken EXCEPT"?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited January 2017 8689 karma

I am not aware of an example of your second construction appearing on the exam, therefore as it stands now, I would have to say that the frequency is near zero. Do you have a PrepTest in mind where that construction was used?> @A. Mathews said:

Example: Instead of stating, "Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?" They otherwise state, "Each of the following, if true, does not weaken the argument EXCEPT?"
    Thank you.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I just read the stems of all 29 weaken except question through 7Sage's question bank filter from PT 1-79. I did not find a construction like the second one you referenced.

• TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    edited January 2017 301 karma

@BinghamtonDave Thank you for taking the time and effort to diligently answer my question. No, I am not aware of such construction. It was a curiosity that struck me all of the sudden as I was studying. I can imagine such a construction would cause unwarranted agitation during a stressful test, and hence just wanted to hit all pointers.

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma

Out of the 60+ tests that I have been exposed to, I don't think I have ever seen a double-negative in a question stem. That said, don't assume that there won't be one or a few on your test.
    The closest thing I've seen to an annoying, not-so-straightforward question stem are the "Except" questions (e.g "Each of the following weakens the argument, EXCEPT").