Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Final Stretch: What to do the Final Week & Day Of

Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
edited May 2016 in General 4344 karma
[To view this post in our blog, follow this link]

For those of you taking the upcoming June administration of the LSAT or thinking ahead to future administrations, we'd like to share a few best practices/pro-tips to help ensure that you're in top shape heading into the exam. We've included some guidance for the week leading up to the exam as well as for Game Day itself.

Right up front, we'd like to say that you're not going to learn anything new the week before the exam. The hay is in the barn. You've already done the work that will carry you into the exam. Don't cram PT's; at most, do a few sections to keep your mechanics sharp. You need to make sure that you're fresh and in the right mindset for Game Day.
1) Between today and Sunday, go to bed and wake up at the same time every day (and this should be the same time you'll need to wake up for the June exam). Waking up ~3 hours before the earliest time you're likely to start the test (as soon as 30 minutes after the show-up time) will help ensure that your cortisol levels are up and that you're fully awake. Waking up at this time during this week and Monday June 6th helps to ensure that you'll be tired enough to go to bed Sunday night. Also, no screens/blue light after 10pm. This will help ensure that you're not artificially stimulating cortisol (waking yourself up) before bed.
2) Pre-hydrate. Drink a 3-4 liters of water every day of the week before the test. It's really not that big of a deal to drink that much water, and doing so will ensure that you are well hydrated the morning of without having to drink much (if any) liquid.
3) Practice your game day routine at least twice. This means wake up at the time you'll wake up on Monday, eat the exact same breakfast/lunch you plan for game day. Keep track of what you eat and drink and when you do it. Track your hunger, thirst, and bathroom need levels (just like in The Sims). Pro-tip: if you need to go at 2PM, there's a very strong likelihood that if you follow the same plan/timing, you will need to go in the middle of a section. Which is what we want to avoid.
4) Day of, general: Don't do anything differently from your dress rehearsals. No magic pills. No extra coffee. No tricks. No surprises. Perhaps get to the test center early and just go for a walk around the grounds if feasible. You might see some very nervous folks in crisis mode. Disregard. You are not them.
5) Day of, warm up: Whatever you do, don't score anything. And don't do any new material. Maybe take a handful of LR Q's, maybe one easy game, maybe one easy RC. Just chill out about it. You're just warming up your mechanics.
6) Day of, during the break: People will try to talk to you because they are nervous or want reassurance. You are not there to be anyone's friend. You are not there to be anyone's therapist or life coach. However you put up your personal "Do Not Disturb" status—just don't let anyone throw you off your game.

Comments

• AddistotleAddistotle Member
    edited May 2016 328 karma
    Thank you, Nicole!

I haven't written a 70s series yet, but I just cracked that 160 plateau with a 173/176br (:D) on PT 65... should I avoid writing PT 77 tomorrow?
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Addistotle said:
    should I avoid writing PT 77 tomorrow?
    I'd say chill and do some sections ;)
    328 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    I'd say chill and do some sections ;)

yesss! will do, thank you!
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Was hoping for a post like this, thanks a lot!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Also do not forget to prep your gallon ziplock bag. Make sure you have it packed (mostly) at least a day or two before the test. You dont want to be late because youre rushing to pack your bag, or get to the testing center and realize you forgot to bring an eraser or your ticket.

Make sure you know what your snack will be too and have it all ready to go in the morning. Make a check list of everything you are suppose to bring and you'll be great to go.

Don't cause unnecessary stress for yourself you want to do your morning routine, grab and go!
  • TOLedo2016TOLedo2016 Alum Member
    54 karma
    What all should be in our bag? Also...make sure to check your watch batteries and ensure it is in compliance with the "watch requirements"
  • galantwhiteandbluegalantwhiteandblue Free Trial Member
    32 karma
    this post rocks
    edited May 2016 3197 karma
    @TOLedo2016 said:
    What all should be in our bag?
    A bit of this comes down to personal choice. I would include items that you have practiced with but I'd suggest:

* 6 Pencils (so you don't have to worry about sharpening) You are also allowed a highlighter. PS No. 2 or HB, (Mechanical pencils are prohibited.)
    * Watch (LSAC compliant)
    * Pencil Sharpener (for a worst case scenario)
    * Eraser (without its sleeve according to the LSAC). I prefer the white erasers
    * Break Snack & Drink (has to be 20oz or less)
    * Your ticket
    * Your ID (or for wallet)
    * Car Keys

DO NOT BRING:
    * Any electronics
    * Yes this means no Phone
    * Digital Watches/iWatch
    * Fitbits (or any other tracker)
    * You ticket has a full list, read it.

328 karma
    Can anyone tell me what size ziplock bags are a Gallon/3.79L? It sounds to me like a Large Ziplock brand freezer bag is good
  • CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma
    Any special tips for people travelling to another city for the test? Should we go there 3 days earlier? One week earlier?
    4344 karma
    @CocoZhang said:
    Any special tips for people travelling to another city for the test? Should we go there 3 days earlier?
    I'd say yes, at a minimum—assuming no massive difference in time zones! If there's a massive difference in time zones I'd say a week.
    4344 karma
    @Addistotle said:
    It sounds to me like a Large Ziplock brand freezer bag is good
    Yup, the big ones.
  • katherine.tkatherine.t Alum Member
    101 karma
    So... what to do if you have a small breakdown while taking practice test 76 at your June test center? I opened up my booklet, started the test and that immediate "I'm drunk and reading" feeling came over me... paralysis.
  • Fish0701Fish0701 Member
    133 karma
    Anyone know if you have to print out the admission ticket in color of if it can just be in Black and white?
  • taylor.ridley1993taylor.ridley1993 Free Trial Member
    4 karma
    I'm traveling from Georgia to Virginia for the test. Leaving the Thursday before
    3197 karma
    Oh and I am sure you guys knew this but: Since I saw this on the LSAC site again... Mechanical pencils are prohibited... check out the 7Sage Pencil thread if needed.
    4344 karma
    @katherine.t said:
    So... what to do if you have a small breakdown while taking practice test 76 at your June test center?
    We'll be posting another blog entry related to withdraw/cancel/conquer tomorrow :D
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Another Bump :)
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    edited January 2017 453 karma

Bumping this for February 2017 takers!!

• johanna586johanna586 Alum Member
    202 karma

For those who work full time, would anyone recommend taking a couple hours off of work the day before the test to relax etc.?

• camcam Alum Member
    349 karma

@"johanna.ea.greenberg" said:
    For those who work full time, would anyone recommend taking a couple hours off of work the day before the test to relax etc.?

I'm taking a half day on Friday the 3rd. I'm taking the test about 40mins from home and spending the night in a hotel down the street from my test site. I feel like with the unpredictability of the weather out here (New England), banking on being able to make that drive in time was an unnecessary risk.

The extent of what I plan on doing the day before is mostly making sure I have everything I need for the morning of as well as for the actual test. Part of that is so that I can replicate my morning routine in a hotel. I tour enough that the environment isn't much of an issue for me, but it relies on me bringing the needed items (e.g. I make my own energy drink that I have every morning). I have my snacks (Clif Mojo bars), and will be picking up/making my drink (caffeine + B-Vitamins).

I'm planning on doing a few easy games (at least one grouping and one sequencing)-the same ones that I'll be doing during my wake up time the next day, one easy RC passage, and then 10 LR questions. Other that that, it will be Netflix/Hulu and Xbox.

• shd.hartshd.hart Member
    51 karma

What about coffee for the morning routine a week prior? I don't normally have more than one coffee before 9am, but I find it makes a huge difference to have 2 coffees in me before starting the test. Should I be drinking 2 coffees every morning this week prior or will it be fine to save the 2nd coffee just for test day?

• camcam Alum Member
    349 karma

@shd.hart I'd give it a shot for at least a day or two before the real thing, mostly in case it makes you need to use the restroom in the middle of the test. E.g. with my caffeine drink, it is 160mg of caffeine, B-Vitamin Complex, and Vitamin D...and I need to use the restroom about about twice in 3 hrs after drinking it. So, I'm making sure that I wake up early enough that I can get those two trips out of the way BEFORE checking in for the test.