Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gap in Resume Explanation

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
in General 3788 karma

Hi guys,

So I have been studying for the LSAT since 2014 and I have been also doing freelance consulting work up until August 2015. I have about a 2 year gap in resume currently, due to studying full time for the LSAT, and I was wondering how damaging this would be for the 1L OCI interview process. I realize I may be going ahead of myself at the moment but I'm concerned about the impact this might have on my future employment prospects. Will this be an issue for law firms during the OCI process for summer internships?

Comments

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

Have you done any freelance consulting work since August 2015? If so, I think it would be fair to say that your freelance consulting career continued for the time being.

Once you start law school, your grades and law-school activities will become much more important. And once you land your first summer gig, I think you're out of the woods. For now, I'd think about how to present your résumé to the adcom.

You can also send an addendum explaining that, for example, you were helping your family, learning Spanish, volunteering somewhere, etc. in the interval.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited January 2017 3788 karma

Hi @david.busis. Thank you for your response. I actually haven't continued doing the freelance work at the company that I originally worked with because the company shut down unexpectedly and also because I originally thought that putting my full effort towards LSAT prep was the correct decision. I am taking classes on Udemy on stock market investing and I'm looking into take one about web development. Will an addendum explaining that I have been taking online courses help?