Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Georgewashington Law, Vandy, or BU Law?

jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
edited February 2017 in Law School Admissions 844 karma

Hi Everyone,
I apologize if this discussion distracts someone studying the LSAT and I seriously need to apologize since I posted this discussion before and I just did a minor edition to it. I currently got into BU law, Emory Law, Georgewashington Law, and william and mary law (receive scholarship from all of them). When I limited my choice to GW and BU (incline to BU), an offer from Vanderbilt Law School kinda ruined my decision. Is it true that ranking does not matter if law school is not T14? I want to practice corporate law in Northeast area such as NY, MA (might be DC if possible). As an international student, I really cared about if I can get a job. Now it is GW, BU, or Vandy. 7sagers, what do you think? Thank you so much for whoever has left their comment down here!!

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

Personally, I think being in Washington D.C would be a an exciting opportunity! My vote is for GW

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma

Congrats! Where do you want to practice?

• jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma

@stgl1230 thank you!! I want to practice around the east coast like MA or NY, although it does not have to be this strict though.

844 karma

@jknauf , now you see why I am so torn, lol

• draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma

Maybe compare the clinic programs to see which one caters to your interests more? More scholarship money is also very appealing. Congratulations on all of your choices! That is excellent! :smile:

844 karma

@draj0623 you are so right, I am on it now!

edited February 2017 821 karma

Yes, what @draj0623 said! Also take a closer look at employment statistics especially with regards to what kind of law you want to practice.

For what it's worth, I've heard anecdotal evidence suggesting that Boston is a hard legal market to enter without connections. So going to BU could be advantageous if that is where you want to practice. I don't know if I would pay sticker price for BU though. You can try to negotiate scholarships maybe?

DC is an easier market to enter, I believe. There's more jobs, but you're also competing with more students for the same jobs, just since there are so many law schools near DC and many students from other parts of the country look for jobs in DC. I've also heard that studying law in DC is somewhat if a ratrace, but I think that depends on how you are as an individual and how you interact with your environment. DC is exciting though, probably more so than Boston.

844 karma

@stgl1230 I am pretty sure I will get scholarship from BU, they just have not emailed me yet. I am so torn because Boston and DC both have a lot of good schools, and the legal market can be very competitive. Anyway, thank you so much for your advice. I will take a look at statistics again.

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

For me DC beats Boston hands down. Obviously, which school to attend should not be based on just one factor of the city school is located in. Definitely, look more details on things you are interested in. Also, $$$ you receive from BU should factor in a lot in your decision.

844 karma

@Mo Zubair, you are right. I have been to both Boston and DC, I love them both. I think Boston is a bit quiet while DC is clean, exciting, and well-ordered compared to NYC.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    edited February 2017 617 karma

As someone who currently works in DC, I can assure you, as of about 2 weeks ago, it has become a miserable and stressful place to live. It's also the #1 target in the (increasingly likely) event of a domestic attack or global war. Some food for thought since everyone on this thread seems to love Washington.

• SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma

@dantlee14 said:
    As someone who currently works in DC, I can assure you, as of about 2 weeks ago, it is a miserable and stressful place to live. It's also the #1 target in the (increasingly likely) event of a domestic attack or global war. Some food for thought since everyone on this thread seems to love Washington.

I'm from DC and can't wait to move back. I think it's not for everyone and @dantlee14 is right that it can be miserable and stressful :smile:. But that said, it's similar to NYC or SF in that for some career paths and lifestyles it's the place to be and nowhere else will give you that sort of access or feeling. Don't get me wrong, I also love Boston and think it's wonderful.

It just kind of depends on what you want. Either way, I'm sure you won't regret your decision. Congratulations on your acceptances! They're both wonderful schools :smile: You'll have to tell us which you choose!

844 karma

@SherryS1 I am still waiting for UC Berkley, Vandy, Georgetown, and UCLA. But my choice is likely between GW and BU(waiting for their email that contains scholarship). Hahaha, I am doing a bit more research now. I am grateful for this thread. It is much much more respectful than TLS (please check out their forum, people use moron, fuxx, retard etc when they come across different opinions, lmao).

844 karma

@dantlee14, it is always helpful to hear the other side of opinion. I am curious about what makes the life miserable in DC. The amount of working hours? The people near you? Thank you :smiley: !!!

• SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma

@jyang72 said:
    @SherryS1 I am still waiting for UC Berkley, Vandy, Georgetown, and UCLA. But my choice is likely between GW and BU(waiting for their email that contains scholarship). Hahaha, I am doing a bit more research now. I am grateful for this thread. It is much much more respectful than TLS (please check out their forum, people use moron, fuxx, retard etc when they come across different opinions, lmao).

Haha well it sounds like the decision making is just getting started :smile: Wishing you all the best and hope you end up at whichever school on there is your top pick!

844 karma

@SherryS1 Thank you!!

• loosekanenloosekanen Alum Member
    138 karma

Be careful of interpreting ABA stats without further looking into them. GW's biglaw numbers seem to be pumped up by a larger than average amount of IP applicants. If you are eligible to sit the patent bar this may be a positive for you. If you aren't it may be a negative.

844 karma

@loosekanen you are absolutely right. I do not have science background. I don't think patent is a good option for me.

844 karma

BTW, how is law school transparent? Is this a good website to use?

821 karma

@jyang72 said:
    BTW, how is law school transparent? Is this a good website to use?

From what I know, it's great. Kind of eye opening to see how opaque some law schools are.

844 karma

@stgl1230 , that is very good to know. Thank you again!!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I have worked in the Boston market for quite some time and I will say that if know that you want to practice in MA, it is great school. Probably the second at worst third best if you are looking for any legal job around here. But if you are not certain of where and you are thinking about practicing somewhere else, GW is probably the better bet.

There are some great firms here (Goodwin, WilmerHale, Ropes are the big three) so there is no question that if you do well you can get in the door. But BU doesn't have nearly the national pull that GW has.

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    But BU doesn't have nearly the national pull that GW has.

I want to play devil's advocate here. That might have been in the past, but things are turning for both universities now and it is fair to argue that BU's national reputation will trump GW's in the near future if it hasn't done so already.

edited February 2017 821 karma

I agree with @Alejandro. BU >>>> GW in my understanding of reputation.

I live and work on the West Coast. If you told people you went to GW, they would say "oh, you mean Georgetown?" and then when you correct them they're like, "oh.." but wondering why you went to GW instead of Georgetown.

Obviously people's perceptions aren't always correct. Just because they don't know as much about GW doesn't mean that it's a bad choice (and people often ascribe more prestige to GT/GULC than it deserves). But it might be something to consider when you think nationally, or even outside of the DMV area where you want to practice.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@Alejandro good point! That may be true, and if it is, I don't deny that BU may be the better bet. But I was just going off what the ABA Disclosures say as well as Above The Law's Firm Placement, instead of rankings. I tend to see much more GW grads in national firms than BU grads, but I understand that this could be due to a variety of factors.

• xqr1s4f3edxqr1s4f3ed Alum Member
    118 karma

@jyang72 Another aspect of GW is its reputation as a policy/politics-oriented program. If you are aiming to practice at a firm, this won't be a consideration. But if you want, even eventually, to work within the Beltway in something besides black-letter law, GW has the upper hand.

844 karma

@JustDoIt, thank you so much for your insight. However, I checked the NLJ ranking, and I found out that BU's biglaw placement rate is higher than that of GW. I am not so sure where I want to practice law. That's why I am struggling between BU and GW.

edited February 2017 844 karma

@Alejandro, any comment is helpful for me, no worries!! DC is a wonderful city that is full of opportunities. However, I saw that BU has higher biglaw placement rate, bar passing rate, and job placement rate. Anyway, I decide to go visit BU next week and GW next month to see which city do I want to go most.

@stgl1230. Thank you so much for your insight. I felt like GW is living in the shadow of GT. I mean in the future I still want to practice law in the NYC. Fordham can be a good choice for me, but the problem is BU has given me scholarship while Fordham law is notoriously stingy for giving scholarships.

@xqr1s4f3ed , GW has high big law placement rate, but a chunk of them goes to IP law. The problem with me is that I have an Econ degree and philosophy minor in undergraduate. My major does not fit IP law. If I can't pursue IP law, I am really worried whether GW is a good fit for me regardless of how splendid resources that reside in DC. Thank you very much for giving me your insight.

2424 karma

@jyang72 I agree with your assessment! I also had Econ as a major major and Philosophy as a minor in college. Great choice!! Great minds think alike ;)

• SnowballSnowball Member
    111 karma

I work for a D.C. think tank. I'm so sick and tired of the D.C. politics. I will head for the west coast for law school this fall... I know this is not helpful...I just feel compelled to add another miserable aspect of D.C.:) BU and GW are both great. I think your decision should come down to where you plan to practice what kind of law and which school can best help you achieve this goal.

844 karma

@Snowball said:
    I work for a D.C. think tank. I'm so sick and tired of the D.C. politics. I will head for the west coast for law school this fall... I know this is not helpful...I just feel compelled to add another miserable aspect of D.C.:) BU and GW are both great. I think your decision should come down to where you plan to practice what kind of law and which school can best help you achieve this goal.

D.C. politics? This sounds very interesting. I want to practice corporate law or business law. I felt like BU is better fit for me. Now my decision is becoming clearer :)

844 karma

@Alejandro said:
    @jyang72 I agree with your assessment! I also had Econ as a major major and Philosophy as a minor in college. Great choice!! Great minds think alike ;)

For real? Did you minor in Philosophy to help you to read and write better? At least that is my intent in the beginning. :wink:

2424 karma

hahaha nah, I just minored in Philosophy because I like that kind of stuff. But I heard having a philosophy background helps with law scohool too!

821 karma

I'm in DC for work right now and I gotta tell you it isn't the most uplifting place. The political climate is not great and there are too many government gunners.

844 karma

@stgl1230 I received offer from Vanderbilt Law today. Geez, this decision-making is getting tougher.

844 karma

@Alejandro, yep. In Philosophy courses, we get to read very difficult materials and arguments.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

how long do you prepare for LSAT @jyang72

844 karma

@dennisgerrard, I prepared LSAT for roughly 1 year and a half. I am actually not proud of it cause it took so long.

821 karma

@jyang72 congrats on vandy! Yup, more tough decisions ahead. I'd suggest checking the websites of some of the firms in cities where you'd like to practice. See where people went to school, and see how V is represented.

844 karma

@stgl1230, holy shit, you are right!!! I want to practice corporate law, specializing in merger and acquisition. I am going to check them out now.

• ehazouryehazoury Member
    13 karma

I would vote for Vandy Law if the money is similar. Vandy does quite well in the southern markets (Dallas, Houston, Atlanta) as well as NYC. I think it's certainly a step ahead of BU and GW in terms of placing into BigLaw based on numbers. I'd place BU ahead of GW because of employment. Even if you like DC, there is NO guarantee you will get DC biglaw just because you went to GW. In fact, you'll have to be close to the top of your class (if you're not in IP). Despite DC being one of the biggest legal markets, it's also the most competitive. Students from across the T14 will be gunning for DC and the competition is tough. That being said, GW is the place to be if you're sure DC the goal.

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma

Go to Vandy, fall in love with bluegrass and Nashville, and get your Big Law job, dude. Congrats, Johnson! So happy for you!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2017 4141 karma

@jyang72 said:
    I received offer from Vanderbilt Law today. Geez, this decision-making is getting tougher.

Congratulations!

I would definitely consider a few factors (perhaps in a pro/con list fashion) in terms of making my choice. These are a few things I'd consider and how I'd go about getting some answers.
    I. Job stats upon graduation (because I'd want to graduate knowing I chose a school that gave me a great shot at whatever legal career I aspire to have)
    A. What types of law do most graduates of this institution practice upon graduation?
    1. Can I leverage this for my career goals and how?
    you can check this by looking at the law school's website (browse through info on their alumns etc)
    II. Campus culture and climate
    A. Will I be happy here? If no, is that dissatisfaction worth the trade off?
    1. What is student life like?
    2. Do students mostly live on or off campus? Do you have a preference?
    3. City preference (food, vibe, people, accessiblity to some place you care about)
    III. Student opportunities/requirements
    A. What are the graduation requirements?
    1. Are there programs/requirements that you are interested in?
    2. Are there opportunities for you to explore areas you are interested in regarding required projects and or probono hours?
    B. What clubs/organizations would you want to get involved in?
    1. Are there any good opportunities for you to explore your legal interests?
    C. Professors --are there any specific professors you'd be interested in taking classes with?
    1. Are students in clinics, classes, and projects supported by faculty more at one institution over the other?

If Vanderbilt has the best graduation stats and you like Nashville etc then definitely go for it!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jyang72 said:
    Hi Everyone,
    I apologize if this discussion distracts someone studying the LSAT and I seriously need to apologize since I posted this discussion before and I just did a minor edition to it. I currently got into BU law, Emory Law, Georgewashington Law, and william and mary law (receive scholarship from all of them). When I limited my choice to GW and BU (incline to BU), an offer from Vanderbilt Law School kinda ruined my decision. Is it true that ranking does not matter if law school is not T14? I want to practice corporate law in Northeast area such as NY, MA (might be DC if possible). As an international student, I really cared about if I can get a job. Now it is GW, BU, or Vandy. 7sagers, what do you think? Thank you so much for whoever has left their comment down here!!

Hey! First, congrats on gaining acceptances to some amazing schools! To answer your first question, ranking matters outside of the T14, albeit much less. Generally, location/employment stats/scholarship $$$ take precedence over ranking when discussing schools in the T25.

If you want to practice corporate law Vandy or BU should be your top choices. GW isn't bad, but they don't place as well into NYC/Boston big law.

I really like @"nessa.k13.0" 's idea of making a pro's and a con's list!

@ehazoury, I place BU and Vandy over GW as well cause I am not interested in IP law. I still prefer to practice law near NY, MA market (may be DC, not so sure). I think now it is boiled down to which city I like more. Thank you for your advice.

844 karma

@DumbHollywoodActor, damn, you still remember me, how touching it is!!! I love both BU and Vandy. I am going to BU this weekend. I will absolutely arrange another trip to Nashville. Vandy's NLJ ranking seems lower than that of BU, which is why I still hesitate. The touchy thing is that I am an international student. Getting a job is my priority. Thank you so much for your advice.

844 karma

@"nessa.k13.0" whoa, this is right to the point. I am gonna do it now. I want to practice corporate law. That is why my decision is down to BU and Vandy. Vandy is gonna get back to me regarding the amount of scholarship (will be determined in late February). Job placement rate is what I care about most. Your list idea is so constructive. Thank you so much!

844 karma

@"Alex Divine" Hey broski, now my choice is down to Vandy and BU since I am not into IP law. I found BU and Vandy have similar job placement rate but Vandy's NLJ ranking is a bit lower than that of BU. That's what makes me nervous. Since I am going to visit BU this weekend, I will arrange another trip to Nashville in order to make a comparison. Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.