PT5.S3.Q12 - the number of north american children

extramediumextramedium Alum Member
edited February 2017 in Logical Reasoning 419 karma

Someone help me out here? I have a vague understanding of why C is the right answer, though I naively selected A. Best explanation I could come up with is that there will always be not obese kids being born into the population, regardless of the percentage increase of obese kids.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

C is not the right answer for PT5.S3.Q18, A is.

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    C is not the right answer for PT5.S3.Q18, A is.

Wrong question number. Sorry. I was actually wondering about 12, the obese kids.

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    457 karma

Quick correction: This is PT5.S3.Q12.

I will follow up with a response to your question!

419 karma

@BenjaminSF Thanks Bay Area bro. Subject line updated.

edited February 2017 457 karma

This question relies on the reader's ability to relate percentages to absolute numbers.

So we know that OC are defined by a weight greater than 85% of other C (or /OC).

Lets say we have exactly 15 OC and 85 /OC to start. The passage states that the number of OC is increasing. So let's say 15 years later there are 30 OC. That means that we have 30 C that are heavier than 85% of all /OC. So that means that the 30 OC are 15% of all C. Therefore, we can conclude that there must be more non-obese children for this relationship to remain true. Now we have 170 /OC.

The definition for OC remains constant, always 15%. For this reason, (C) has to be true. If it were not true, then the facts in the stimulus would be broken.

edited February 2017 419 karma

@BenjaminSF I don't understand.15 OC and 85/OC means 15 kids have 85% more body weight than the other 85 /OC kids. Going up to 30 OC. You have 30 kids that have 85% more body weight than who? Is it the same 85 /OC kids? Does it shift to 30 OC and 60 /OC?

Edit: I think I might have it. If 15 goes up to 30 and they're both still 15%, then the 85 /OC has to go up to 170 for 30 OC to still be 15%. 15% of 200 is 30. Got you. Thanks Benjamin.

457 karma

Happy to help @"Aaron Frank" !

• FlashLSATFlashLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2019 293 karma

great help