Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My favorite law show

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
in General 14022 karma
If you guys ever feel at a loss for a reason to go to law school, John Oliver can help you.

I could keep posting but I think you guys get the point. YT channel here:

Comments

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Also watch Making a Murder in Netflix
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Better Call Saul is all the motivation one needs.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    I love John Oliver.
    Watch Making a Murderer, but also listen to the stories of pretty much any Black/Brown men who are incarcerated...
    War on drugs, mandatory minimums, three strikes, 90+% of accused cut a deal and never see a trial. So, basically, America.
  • sarahfatima28sarahfatima28 Alum Member
    edited February 2016 320 karma
    JY was on a roll.

John oliver though - LOL
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    edited February 2016 3107 karma
    The People vs. OJ Simpson is a pretty good show as well. Watching the the prosecution completely screw up jury selection is infuriating.

Also, Intelligence Squared debates on Youtube are great to watch. Lots of interesting topics that are made easy to understand by qualified panelists:

iTunes University has some interesting classes you can listen to about a wide range of subjects.

For reading, the Becker-Posner blog was great. It's no longer posting stuff since Gary Becker, a Nobel Prize winning economist died, but some of the posts (even from 10 years ago) are still relevant today. Plus, Judge Posner is the most cited legal scholar of the 20th century and probably one of the most influential jurists in American history. The way the posts are set up makes it great for comparative reading practice. http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/

The best blog right now for lawyers is the Volokh Conspiracy (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/). Professor Volokh is another great jurist.

Lastly, many of these economics blogs are excellent (http://www.onalytica.com/blog/posts/top-200-most-influential-economics-blogs/). They can really help educate you on a ton of economic issues, but they are great for additional reading comprehension practice.

IMO, the best ones are Marginal Revolution (a law and econ blog), The Money Illusion (the best blog on monetary policy), Econbrowser (it's pretty technical, but it's great correlation/causation practice), Economist's View (since it links to a ton of great articles everyday), Historinhas (another monetary policy blog), Confessions of a Supply Side Liberal, Library of Economics and Liberty (another law and econ blog). Really, the top 50 or so are all pretty excellent in general.

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I don't think there's a better law blog out there than Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    edited February 2016 3107 karma
    @Pacifico

Haha. I was waiting for someone to mention his; one of my favorites too!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Saw this and figured I’d revive this thread. I seriously don’t understand what is wrong with people. It was a good reminder for me of why I’m here.

• BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    hes so good
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Love that guy
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    He is the guy. The debt episode scared me so much that I read consumer rights against collection agencies in my province (living in Canada). The showing up in court if they sue you is the part that everyone should know about
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    edited June 2016 200 karma
    Yeah for the public defenders. And I'm from Fresno!
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Ha! He's good. Never heard of him. I was intrigued so I watched. The court thing is so truth. I got sued by a hospital. My deductible was $2750 and everything else was covered after at 100%. I tried calling when I got the bill but nothing. The insurance company sent me and the hospital a letter stating I did not owe that portion and still nothing. I went to court and took my letter from the insurance company. Atty representing the bank sits down and asks me if I am aware of the amount owed to the hospital. I informed him that I was aware of the amount but that I did not owe it. He smirked and asked why I felt like I shouldn't have to pay it. I politely slid my letter over to him. He read it and said, "humph, I'll get this back to my client and I'll let you know. I never heard from that guy again. This needs to be heavily regulated just as they done in real estate. Everybody makes d@mn sure to cross all t's and dot all i's now after the hundreds of thousands of foreclosed homes. It was just ridiculous how some people got homes under such terms to begin with and then when they tried to mitigate to save their homes there were ridiculous processes there or banks claiming to never have received pertinent docs. It was all a mess. It's slowing down now and this should be the next focus.
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    I've been binging his videos for weeks now
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14022 karma

bump

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I have to admit my guilty pleasure when it comes to law shows is "Suits." Granted it is almost as unrealistic as it gets vis-a-vis law shows, but I still love it.

Also, this newer show Goliath I've been watching has also been pretty cool as well.

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14022 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Also, this newer show Goliath I've been watching has also been pretty cool as well.

I binged Goliath so hard. Great show!

2573 karma

Some new show regarding Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey this Friday. Dateline maybe??? I don't recall.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    If you guys ever feel at a loss for a reason to go to law school, John Oliver can help you.

haha, absolutely. I created a thread on here a few months back professing my love for John Oliver <3 He came to my alma mater for our comedy series a few years ago, till this day I'm very salty I missed it! :weary:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I binged Goliath so hard. Great show!

Great show indeed! I watched the entire first season in a week and a half, haha.

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma

The Good Wife!!! Patiently awaiting The Good Fight....

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@stgl1230 said:

Omg! I loved the Good Wife. I didn't want to write it at first since the show is a bit cheesy but I like shows like that <3

• WalliumsWalliums Member
    373 karma

Can we all agree that, in the first clip JY posted, Sam the Eagle and John Oliver share an uncanny resemblance?

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

Not a show, but i am pretty sure most folks here would know about Serial Podcast - the first season especially.

More than that, i have become a big fan of Undisclosed Podcast, a spin-off of Serial. Run by three practicing attorneys, they take a criminal conviction they believe to be wrongful and tear it apart in terms of its investigation and legal proceedings. Do check out!

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Boston LEGAL recently!!!!

2573 karma

Anybody watching Killing Fields? The second season is just, blah, but I still watch.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

@tanes256 said:
    Anybody watching Killing Fields? The second season is just, blah, but I still watch.

Well I'm sold, haha!

• stephgmeisterstephgmeister Alum Member
    100 karma

Thanks so much for introducing me to J.Oliver! This is so great. Any other recommendations are welcomed. Frontline documentaries are always inspiring although usually with zero humor.

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

@stgl1230 said:

Definitely digging The Good Fight.

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma

@thisissparta said:

@stgl1230 said:

Me, too. Signed up for CBS All Access for it.

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@thisissparta said:

So missing the Good Wife, just cannot justify adding CBS cost when I already pay for cable:(

2573 karma

@twssmith get a firestick! Game changer! You can eliminate the cable too if you'd like. I did!

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

@twssmith if you're an Amazon Prime member, streaming ALL 7 Seasons of The Good Wife is included in membership!

11542 karma

@ScooterMinion said:
    @twssmith if you're an Amazon Prime member, streaming ALL 7 Seasons of The Good Wife is included in membership!

REALLY?!?!?! OMG thanks for this info! I was so bummed when I saw it only aired on Netflix Canada.

11542 karma

@"Mo Zubair" said:
    Not a show, but i am pretty sure most folks here would know about Serial Podcast - the first season especially.

More than that, i have become a big fan of Undisclosed Podcast, a spin-off of Serial. Run by three practicing attorneys, they take a criminal conviction they believe to be wrongful and tear it apart in terms of its investigation and legal proceedings. Do check out!

Oh very intriguing. I'll check it out!