Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I check wrong answer choices on LG?

ELpell23ELpell23 Member
in Logic Games 101 karma

I am at the point where I can get 100 percent correct on LG with unlimited time, but still have trouble finishing all four within 35 minutes and usually end up bubbling in the last game at the end. I always am too nervous not to check wrong answer choices once I've come across an answer that I think is correct (assuming that the answer is not E), but I am worried that this is costing me precious time. I was wondering if people usually tend to move on once they've found a correct answer choice.

Comments

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited March 2017 2426 karma

This is a very subjective question, largely depending on your fluency and skill level. Having said that, you will find some "beast" candidates will say yes, cuz they can, for they have a mastery level of fluency on logic along with tons of real battlefield experiences. So for them, this is how they do it and this is how it's supposed to be done, by checking each single AC, and they might still have time left.

I, myself, however, cannot afford to do that (except for retakes) At least not yet. It depends on the questions. For the ones I feel fairly confident, such as acceptable situation ones, MBT, MBF, etc, or for whatever reason I just feel right, I pick it and move on. Or the ones that allow me to draw up complete game boards, bc that's the investment I've done there, so that I can save time on the questions later on. (Quoting J.Y.) For the ones I'm unsure of, I will circle and come back later, if I have time. If not, oh well, keep practicing until I do. But I believe you can acquire that level of fluency if you put in enough practice, cuz I do check every single AC on retakes and still have time left, and reason I do that is bc I can, I have temporally owned those games until I forget again lol But the difference is, with practice, my timing has improved each time, which would "allow" me to check more and more ACs as I improve more and more. So I wouldn't worry too much on checking on all the ACs just yet, instead, I would 100% focus on acquiring that mastery level of fluency by practicing, practicing, and practicing. The fact that you already have 100% accuracy untimed shows you've already passed the period of simply understanding the mechanism. Now just keep going at it solidify those understanding with endless practice and soon you will become one of those who say: "yep, I do check every single AC on LG and yep, I still have time left."

Don't underestimate your potential, you'll be surprised how much more you could accomplish.
    Wish you the best.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

For me, it depends on if I've proven the answer. Sometimes I can diagram an answer and its just 100% proven like a math equation. Then there are certain questions where I kind of use POE and kind of do some stuff in my head, and have like ~80% certainty and it all seems to make sense. I circle those and then go back if I have time. I think when you get real good and have time left over you can check your answers. I'm not quite there yet, so someone better than me will have to answer that.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Agreed with @"Heart Shaped Box" and @"Alex Divine" .

How often does checking the remaining answers in this situation result in correcting your answer from that original pick? If the answer is that it frequently does, then it might be worth the time for you. If it's somewhere more in the range of never to only occasionally, the time you gain would be well worth it. If you're 95% confident, does it really make sense to invest another 40 seconds for that extra 5% to bump that up? No way. If you have time at the end, you can return to it. If you don't have time at the end, then it's a good thing you didn't invest that 40 seconds on a question you were already 95% confident you had right anyway!

But no reason to speculate. Try it out, generate some evidence, and make your decision based on that.

• MoosaderMoosader Alum Member
    234 karma

I'm no where near where you are, but when I get there, 100% unlimited time but <100% w/time I plan on getting a tutor. Just something to consider.

My advice echoes what's above. It depends on your confidence in the answer. 40 more seconds for another 5% of confidence isn't worth it. But ideally, the goal I have for myself is to be able to read every option (except in the case 95% certainty) and still have time to go back and review.

• ELpell23ELpell23 Member
    101 karma

Thanks @"Alex Divine" @Moosader @"Cant Get Right" and @"Heart Shaped Box" ! This is helpful and encouraging. I am going to just keep working and try out different strategies.