Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor undergrad GPA grad honors

wmogtaderwmogtader Free Trial Member

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and love all the content!
Here's the short of it. I graduated from Rutgers with a middling GPA I worked for a year after at a non-profit and graduated from Seton Hall with a dual masters in diplomacy and MBA in supply chain. I've worked for a year on the Hill during that time and now work for a logistics firm. I want to go into trade or corp law and am worried that my undergrad GPA will affect my admission to a top school even though I graduated with honors from Seton Hall. I do community service, speak German, and have some decent connections. Would I essentially need to get in the mid 170s + to get into a top tier school? Thanks for any feedback guys!

-Will

Comments

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    edited March 2017 821 karma

Hey there!

Not sure what "middling" GPA means, but if it's anything below a 3.6 I'd aim to score 170+ on the LSAT to be competitive at a T14. If you're at a 3.7 and up, you can definitely get into a lower T14 without hitting 170. I think that plenty of people get into lower T14s with like a 3.7/8 and a 168-9 - but I wouldn't count on any scholarship money.

While law schools see your entire academic transcript, unfortunately your undergrad GPA is the only grade that really matters, unless you are a non-traditional applicant. And I would say that the majority of law school applicants have decent connections, community service, and many speak another language and have worked on the Hill, so I don't think I would bank on those helping you get into law school. However, that being said, Hill experience + having an MBA will definitely help you get jobs once you become a lawyer. You just need to get into law school first, so definitely focus on the LSAT.

I'd aim for a mid-170s, and just know that it will take time to get there. If you can break that 170+ ceiling, then you will have so many more opportunities.

• MoosaderMoosader Alum Member
    234 karma

Following. I am also interested how graduate work impacts the admissions equation. Personally, I have a few units from multiple schools at the graduate level, but no degree. My undergrad GPA is alright 3.81, but my grad is better 3.93.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

As a person with two Graduate Degrees at a 4.0 and lower spectrum
    UGPA the graduate degrees don't count in the GPA calculation.

They help in the "softs" and show academic potential but unfortunately for me have only been bumps at schools that claim a "holistic approach" with interviews.

• MoosaderMoosader Alum Member
    234 karma

@stepharizona thanks for the answer...even if it is bad news.

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

yeah, like most folks said above.. There is no running away from UGPA. That's the gpa that counts when it comes law school admissions.

• wmogtaderwmogtader Free Trial Member
    5 karma

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! Im definitely going to just focus on the test for now, it is a little disheartening to hear the news though. I didn't really come into my own until graduate school. I'll crack that 170 ceiling and give myself the best chance to get into a quality school. @stgl1230 thanks for the detailed response, your insight has been really helpful.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2017 3072 karma

GPA and LSAT are the primary factors, with what's typically considered a 45/55 or a 50/50 split in importance pertaining to admissions decisions. The LSAT is typically weighed slightly more heavily. What was your GPA, exactly? Anything below a 3.5 and you probably won't have a chance at a T-14. It's unfortunate but it's also true.

Also, Google "GPA LSAT Law School Admissions," and you'll run into a number of sources that will give you perspective on your ability to attend certain schools.