Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Podcast Thread

JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
edited March 2017 in General 3112 karma

Hi!

So I have a pretty long commute (about three hours a day) and like to listen to things at my desk, so I fell into podcasts over the last two years. I have seen a few mentioned on the forums, but I thought I’d share some of my favs with you all! They have helped me take a genuine interest in studying and the topics we learn about. Oh and I know you all love categories so I did that as well and provided a brief summary. Some apply to multiple categories too. Sometimes I add things to my subscribed list but only listen to a few episodes so I felt that it disingenuous for me to talk about them, but I wanted to share anyways. BTW Overcast is the best podcast app. Without further ado, here are my tops. :)

Law

Criminal – complicated crimes and situations explained by victims, criminals, and bystanders

Life of the Law – legal applications and applying to everyday life

More Perfect – they’re on a break right now but this is the best one on the list IMO

The University of Chicago Law School Faculty Podcast – title is pretty self-explanatory, but they are just talks on legal topics by professors, scholars, and visiting attorneys

Serial – not spoiling this one. Listen to it!

Supreme Court Arguments – there are tons of them. Just search

Undisclosed – investigating wrongful convictions

Above the Law - Thinking Like a Lawyer – Legal applications to everyday life

Up and Vanished —re-investigates the disappearance of Tara Grinstead, a beauty queen and teacher from GA

Breakdown —season 2 is better than season 1. Follows Justin Ross Harris case (son died in his hot car)

Accused —re-investigates Beth Andes' murder

In the Dark — re-investigates Jacob Wetterling, currently in development for season 2
Sword and Scale—a lot like Criminal, but a lot darker

Social Sciences

This American Life – one of the best podcasts. Varying stories from different backgrounds haha idk how to describe this one because every episode is so different

Planet Money – business, economics, and stories about people and their hustle. Some legal topics as well here

The Daily – daily News from NYT

Stuff You Should Know – Title

NPR Politics – title

The Ezra Klein Show – I love Vox so and think they give great interviews and that’s what this is

Freakonomics Radio – essentially Planet Money but deeper in terms of financial topics

The Sporkful – Food! And the parallels between people and the things we eat

Pod Save America – only on episode two but loving this so far. It is about politics and the things people can do to affect change.

Intelligence Squared U.S. Debates – Oxford Style debates on political topics

How I Built This – Innovators, entrepreneurs, and their stories

Crimetown — currently one of my FAVORITES. Dissects the inner workings of the mob in Princeton, RI. Interviews actual mobsters and "wiseguys"

Beautiful/Anonymous —hosted by comedian Chris Gethard. 1-hour anonymous call, "no names, no holds barred." For those with voyeuristic tendencies (said affectionately)

Natural Sciences

Radiolab – this could go under social science too, but a lot of their topics fit here. I would highly recommend this one. One of the best on this list

Invisibilia – “The invisible forces” that guide our actions. Partly could go under social science as well.

Hidden Brain – similar to Invisibilia but deeper

99% Invisible – haven’t listened to more than one episode but it seems good. It would be disingenuous for me to talk about it. I actually just downloaded a few and will listen this week!

Stuff You Should Know – 50/50 split between natural and social sciences.

Skeptics Guide to the Universe – Science news, conspiracies, and controversies

Reveal —takes a critical/investigative look at contemporary issues

Embedded—combine Reveal and Invisibilia and you get Embedded

Humanities/Logic

You Are Not So Smart – best logic podcast I have found. They talk all about similar things to the lessons!

Lore – scary stories haha but they’re so good

Presidential – each episode is a different president, talking about their life story and what they did right and wrong as president

On Being – this is a philosophy podcast but I found it a little too boring for me after two episodes haha

Fresh Air – mostly about movies and actors, with some social science/political episodes sprinkled in. It is pretty good, just not for me

Unexplained —similar weekly episodes of creepy, unexplained events

Myths & Legends — title

Other – Trivia, Stories and Self-Help

Ask Me Another – hilarious trivia podcast. One of my favs on the list

Death, Sex & Money – It's so good, and not what you're expecting

GameOverGreggy Show – “Four sometimes five best friends gather around THIS TABLE. Each bringing a random topic of discussion for your amusement.” I listen to this almost every day haha

The School of Greatness – Inspiring stories from people ranging from athletes to actors

Mystery Show — it's cute

Magic Tavern — It's a really funny improv comedy podcast recorded from a medieval-esque tavern in an alternate universe called Foon.

The Joe Rogan Experience — Comedian Joe Rogan talks to an interviews a variety of people on different subjects.

I’ll stop now. Feel free to share yours too! This is by no means definitive and we all can learn from each other's tastes! :)

Hope this helps!

Edit: I will continually update this list to account for everyone's suggestions!

Edit 2: Updated again!

Comments

• alex.e92alex.e92 Alum Member
    239 karma

Hi, fellow podcast junkie here. Those are all great. I would suggest adding Skeptics Guide to the Universe! Love this podcast. If I had a dollar for every time I recognized a science RC passage topic the minute I start reading because of info i've learned from this podcast... i'd have a lot of dollars.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

I love the list. I am definitely bookmarking this thread! I am always on the lookout for great podcasts. Thank you for sharing <3

I would add intelligence squared 2 debate to the list. It's oxford style debate from really good speakers like Mayor of London and Attorney General's. Not only is their knowledge great but they will also point each other's flaws and assumptions. It's really great for LR questions : )

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Thank you!!! I'm right there with you regarding the More Perfect podcast.

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

"Serial" is so good. You can't have a podcast list without Serial.

But after one is done with Serial (season one), i think next logical step step is to listen to 1 season of Undisclosed: Podcast. In that, three practicing attorneys breakdown the legal nitty gritty of the case discussed in season 1 of serial. And the work of Undisclosed has directly resulted in vacation of the conviction of the subject in season 1. I highly recommend it.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

"Thinking Like a Lawyer" is a fun blend of pop culture and relevant legal news. It's published by Above the Law.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Updated to add all of your suggestions. Thanks!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2017 4141 karma

Nice list! I was considering adding some of those to my queue and I definitely will now. Pod Save America(formerly Keepin it 1600) and Pod Save the World are definitely among my favorites!!!

• poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma

Yes! Also a fellow podcast-er here! Thanks for sharing the list.

I'd also really recommend How I Built This for anyone interested in entrepreneurship and businesses. And if you like self improvement stuff, check out The School of Greatness---there's a pretty good handful of super inspirational episodes in there

• lm125108lm125108 Member
    edited March 2017 134 karma

Love this thread! My two cents:

If you like Serial, Criminal, and Undisclosed, you'll like:
    Up and Vanished—re-investigates the disappearance of Tara Grinstead, a beauty queen and teacher from GA
    Breakdown—season 2 is better than season 1. Follows Justin Ross Harris case (son died in his hot car)
    Accused—re-investigates Beth Andes' murder
    In the Dark— re-investigates Jacob Wetterling, currently in development for season 2
    Sword and Scale—a lot like Criminal, but a lot darker

If you like Lore you'll like:
    Unexplained—similar weekly episodes of creepy, unexplained events
    Myths & Legends

If you like Hidden Brain, and Invisibilia you'll like
    Crimetown—currently one of my FAVORITES. Dissects the inner workings of the mob in Princeton, RI. Interviews actual mobsters and "wiseguys"
    Beautiful/Anonymous—hosted by comedian Chris Gethard. 1-hour anonymous call, "no names, no holds barred." For those with voyeuristic tendencies (said affectionately)
    Mystery Show—it's cute
    Reveal—takes a critical/investigative look at contemporary issues
    Embedded—combine Reveal and Invisibilia and you get Embedded

One other I'd like to throw out there is Hello from the Magic Tavern. It's a really funny improv comedy podcast recorded from a medieval-esque tavern in an alternate universe called Foon. It's a little heavy on butthole jokes at first, but give it a chance, it gets really funny once you get past those juvenile jokes.

Can't wait to listen to all the other suggestions!

Edit: spacing to make it easier to read, typos

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

For all those who have replied above, if you could recommend only one podcast for each of the below categories (and by recommend, I mean a podcast directly relevant to the LSAT in content or form), I would be grateful! (I have a short commute so I have to prioritize haha)

Science, logic/philosophy, economics, other

3112 karma

@poohbear updated for your suggestions! Thanks!

@lm125108 thanks for your suggestions! I copied your descriptions if you didn't mind :)

3112 karma

Science: Radiolab
    Logic: You Are Not So Smart
    Economics: Planet Money

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Thank you @JustDoIt!

• lm125108lm125108 Member
    134 karma

@JustDoIt said:

@lm125108 thanks for your suggestions! I copied your descriptions if you didn't mind :)

All good! :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited March 2017 23929 karma

I listen to TONS of podcasts during my commute.work.home life. One I really like is Joe Rogan's podcast. HE usually has on some really interesting people. It's not my fav; but it's really opened my mind up to a a bunch of new people I've never heard of; fields I didn't know exist; and opinions I'm just against (Which I think is a good thing) For example, he's really into smoking weed and I am not. He also takes a pretty reasonable stance on almost everything from Alex Jone's conspiracy theories to Neil Degrasse Tyson's thoughts on exploration of deep space.

Then again, sometimes he has on like MMA/Boxers who I couldn't give a shit about, but when he has on a great author or current intellectual, it's like 3 hours of heaven!

3112 karma

Thanks at @"Alex Divine"! Added :)

3112 karma

Oh and the most recent RadioLab episode IS pretty much an old LSAT passage :)

• bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma

Everyone should listen to "I Am The Law" by Law School Transparency. It offers informational interviews about different careers in the law! Really, really useful for pre-law and law students!

• Jessica_KubaJessica_Kuba Core Member
    edited March 2017 461 karma

You guys!!! The serial podcast...I'm so hooked. I have to literally stop myself from listening so I could do other things. That podcast got me like...biting my fingers

• sewellsarahsewellsarah Free Trial Member
    46 karma

If you like trivia shows, Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me is a really fun current events quiz show!

The host and a panel of three or four comedians play different games centered around current events and telling real news from fake news. Sometimes the comedians are the contestants but usually listeners will call in. The panel will read hilarious/unbelievable stories and the caller has to figure out which one is real, or the host will do a rapid fire current events quiz. In the second half a celebrity calls in for an interview and then a quiz round. It's produced by NPR/WBEZ Chicago and I love it!

• MA to170MA to170 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

A big Thank-you to @JustDoIt and everyone who have shared great information on these Podcasts. I will definitely start listening during my short commutes.