Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Rules

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited April 2023 in Forum Rules 13940 karma
Hey guys, we have a really awesome community here that's positive and supportive, thank you for that.

I hope these simple rules to regulate this discussion forum will help ensure that we continue to have a caring community:

Rules

1. Be nice. Behind the screen is a person reading what you write to them.

2. Be thankful for other people's time. It takes time for someone to answer a question. Whether you like the answer or not, they were trying to help.

3. Advertisements or solicitations for services or products are not allowed. This includes tutoring, advertising other companies, webinars that are not from 7Sage, or links offsite to your personal pages (eg. blog, tutoring services, etc). Please also refrain from making threads / commenting, or messaging students about buying or selling products. (This includes LSAT watches or any LSAT materials.)

4. Do not post LSAT questions, any copyrighted content, or links to content that infringe on copyright.

5. Do not ask other students for copies of LSAT questions or to share accounts.

Formatting Guidelines

1. Format for posting questions about specific Reading Comprehension (RC) questions:
"PT#.S#.Q# (P#) - brief description of stimulus" E.g. PT60.S1.Q7 (P4) - weakened immune system cancer

2. Format for posting questions about specific Logic Games (LG) questions:
"PT#.S#.Q# (G#) - brief description of question" E.g. PT40.S2.Q7 (G2) - could be true of the study

3. Format for posting questions about specific Logical Reasoning (LR) questions:
"PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of question" E.g. PT37.S1.Q12 - Political scientist: Efforts to create a more egalitarian

4. Do not post threads or comments in all caps.

Tips

1. Do not to post your email or phone number publicly. Spam bots might pick up your email & number and you'll get spam. If you want to share contact info, you can use direct messaging.

2. Use the "Flag" button to notify the admins about any violations.

Comments

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited March 2015 13940 karma
    Hey guys, I want to clarify Rule #1. You guys are great about it.

Being nice is compatible with expressing your opinions / disagreeing. It's not always easy to disagree respectfully, but we should strive.

This is the thread that got out of hand and I encourage you all to read it:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2334/lsat-day-dreams

I thought @blah170blah and @"Allison M" presented respectful, intelligent, and well articulated arguments. I did not detect any personal attacks. I encourage you to engage with arguments like the ones they made.

The same kind of arguments though difficult could conceivably have been made on the other side but sadly were not. "While I like to sit here to read the long essays and chat with you all, I'm gonna go back to study for lsat so I can chat with real lawyers" is dangerously close to a personal attack. The implication is that your debaters are not "real lawyers" (true) and therefore unworthy of your engagement (false). The erroneous assumption is that only lawyers are worthy of engagement in debate. Further, "I say this very politely, SHUT UP EVERYONE!" is simply contradictory. Yelling at everyone to "shut up" is necessarily impolite. In fact, it's abusive.

The deleted user emailed Alan yesterday to delete their 7Sage account in direct response to what happened in that thread. We have complied with their request. The deleted user was not enrolled in a 7Sage course.

We are re-opening the thread in case anyone's up to the challenge of making a well reasoned argument on why the LSAC should be allowed to disclose to law schools extra time given for disabilities:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2345/should-the-lsac-be-allowed-to-disclose-to-law-schools-extra-time-given-for-disabilities
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    edited December 2015 556 karma
    Hi 7Sage. You are amazing. Thanks for everything. That said, I have some concern about rule 12.

My gf is preparing for the LSAT and I've been helping her prep. I'm going to take it with her for fun. I'm doing a little prep myself and have already benefited greatly from the free LG videos. She may enroll in a paid account which I will in no way attempt to use fraudulently. Trouble is we share several networks/devices, and I presume you'd use IP or device ID to catch the fraudsters. I'd prefer not getting her banned for that reason. See the issue? Thoughts?
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited July 2017 12637 karma
    Shouldn't be an issue, @Q.E.D — Don't worry about it. :)
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    Hi Dillon. Nice to meet you, and thanks. 7sage is a wonderful thing. Wouldn't want to cross the people behind the service.
    edited December 2015 13940 karma
    This is the thread:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/6431/public-interest-law-loan-forgiveness

For the record @westerhoff93 was banned for their antigay remark. You cannot insinuate that someone is gay as an insult. Go think about what you said and when you've realized why you did something bad and you're ready to make an apology, we'll be here.

Edit: The user tried to change their username to @trickdaddy69 to try and evade the ban. It doesn't work that way.
    12637 karma
    Updated some rules so they are more clear.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    Thanks for making this a safe and welcoming space for all of us, y'all. <3 I appreciate it, as I'm sure many others do
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    Y'all keep it respectful at 7sage!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    If anyone here messes with me, I'm going to start throwing ad hominems left and right. JK JK I love you all <3
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @Alejandro just knows ad hominems are weak. @Alejandro going to destroy the support between premise and conclusion though.
    edited August 2016 12637 karma
    @"J.Y. Ping" said:
    4. Format for posting questions about specific Reading Comprehension (RC) questions:
    "PT#.S#.Q# (P#) - brief description of stimulus" E.g. PT60.S1.Q7 (P4) - weakened immune system cancer

5. Format for posting questions about specific Logic Games (LG) questions:
    "PT#.S#.Q# (G#) - brief description of question" E.g. PT40.S2.Q7 (G2) - could be true of the study
    Quick reminder that we have format rules listed here. I've had to edit quite a few people's posts.
  • civnetncivnetn Free Trial Member
    148 karma
    To be clear about Rule #3 regarding copyrighted content. What exactly does this mean? Obviously, not posting full questions, but are we allowed to post word for word excerpts of answer choices?
    12637 karma
    @civnetn said:
    What exactly does this mean?
    Summarize the questions and answer choices to be safe.
  • civnetncivnetn Free Trial Member
    148 karma
    @dillion Right, thanks for the heads up.
    12637 karma
    Updated rule #7 as it was vague about the buying aspect of things.
    12637 karma

Updated rule #7 to make the wording a little more clear.

• For rule #10, what if the person did not intend to be yelling but their keyboard was broken? Or what if they did not know the social keyboard etiquette and just typed in all caps (I know of some people lol). Do they still violate the policy off an assumption that they are yelling? Love the rules though, you guys are great!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I think for a situation like this context matters and the moderators will take that into consideration.

@f_e_a_r_of_the_w_a_l_k_i_n_g_LSAT said:
    For rule #10, what if the person did not intend to be yelling but their keyboard was broken? Or what if they did not know the social keyboard etiquette and just typed in all caps (I know of some people lol). Do they still violate the policy off an assumption that they are yelling? Love the rules though, you guys are great!

• @westcoastbestcoast said:
    I think for a situation like this context matters and the moderators will take that into consideration.

@f_e_a_r_of_the_w_a_l_k_i_n_g_LSAT said:
    For rule #10, what if the person did not intend to be yelling but their keyboard was broken? Or what if they did not know the social keyboard etiquette and just typed in all caps (I know of some people lol). Do they still violate the policy off an assumption that they are yelling? Love the rules though, you guys are great!

That's true. But how would they prove that the person is telling the truth? Because I saw a comment written in all caps and then a moderator replied back saying to not write in caps as it is against the policy. But honestly the comment that commenter made was just a normal reply to someone, it was just written all in caps. So it is likely that he wasn't yelling and it seems that the policy doesn't allow all caps because of it implying yelling. I just felt bad for the commenter lol, totally redundant to even discuss lol! :smile:

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

For the record @westerhoff93 was banned for their antigay remark. You cannot insinuate that someone is gay as an insult. Go think about what you said and when you've realized why you did something bad and you're ready to make an apology, we'll be here.

Edit: The user tried to change their username to @trickdaddy69 to try and evade the ban. It doesn't work that way.

(': thank you for defending the gays ya'll I appreciate it a lot. The curriculum and all the lovely 7sage users have helped me improve on the LSAT a lot so I obviously feel like my money has been well spent, but it feels even better knowing that I put my money towards such an inclusive company.

13940 karma

Hey everyone, I just updated the rules. I reorganized them a bit. I hope it's cleaner now.

13940 karma

I also have an announcement for a new guideline on criticizing other companies' products / services.

We generally don't say bad things here about non-7Sage products, services, etc. We try to keep it positive, as they say. And then every once in a while we do and it's a bit chaotic and the admins have to step in and close down threads.

I think, I hope, we can have constructive, negative conversations because I think those are valuable too. If something really sucks, then people should know. If something on 7Sage really sucks, I'd want to know. I don't want people to feel like they can't say something sucks when it sucks.

So, to help guide future conversations where you'd like to express dissatisfaction, I'm proposing the following guidelines.

With respect to these four distinct entities:

(1) LSAT students who are forum participants
    (2) People who supply LSAT / law school admissions services or products
    (3) LSAT / law school admissions companies, services, or products
    (4) LSAT / law school admissions forums

(1) and (4) are generally off the table unless you have very good reasons to open that dialogue. (1) Because flame wars spread fast. (4) Because that kind of self-referential conversation ought to take place on the forum that you're criticizing. For example, if you want to say something bad about the lsat sub-reddit, it's probably better to say it over there, on that forum. These are not categorical prohibitions. I recognize that there could be good reasons to start those conversations.

(2) and (3) are fair game. Positive or negative comments. Both are valuable conversations to have. Please back up your claims with evidence. Paint a full picture so people reading the comments have context. I'd like for us to aim for constructive criticism.