Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advise on how to best study with 7sage for a newbie

fambam24fambam24 Member
in General 215 karma

Hi all,

I'm studying to take the September 2017 LSAT. I've just enrolled in the 7Sage Ultimate+ course. For those more experienced with the course, what advise would you give for someone starting out?

Should I just go through the syllabus..? Was there a particular study schedule that worked better for you?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• AlexanderCMAlexanderCM Member
    edited March 2017 174 karma

My advice thus far, as a fellow newbie who is also studying for the September 2017 test:

A ) Leave the example videos paused in the Core Curriculum and try and solve the question first to 100% certainty (use the Blind Review method that you learn early in the Core Curriculum) and THEN watch the video where JY explains. This has generally lead to significantly faster learning and and a deeper understanding of the question types I've studied thus far.

B ) Participate in the discussion forum/comment threads on the videos, because tons of people have come before you and are willing to help you succeed (actually so far one of my favorite parts of 7Sage).

C ) Do the Drills in Core Curriculum for time and use the Blind Review method for drills not just Prep Tests. JY is totally right that this is the best way to learn and it helps you identify where you really don't understand a question type or topic versus when practice and time are the real issue.

Let me know if you ever want to work together as we get closer to the Sept. test! Good luck!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@AlexanderCM said:
    My advice thus far, as a fellow newbie who is also studying for the September 2017 test:

A ) Leave the example videos paused in the Core Curriculum and try and solve the question first to 100% certainty (use the Blind Review method that you learn early in the Core Curriculum) and THEN watch the video where JY explains. This has generally lead to significantly faster learning and and a deeper understanding of the question types I've studied thus far.

B ) Participate in the discussion forum/comment threads on the videos, because tons of people have come before you and are willing to help you succeed (actually so far one of my favorite parts of 7Sage).

C ) Do the Drills in Core Curriculum for time and use the Blind Review method for drills not just Prep Tests. JY is totally right that this is the best way to learn and it helps you identify where you really don't understand a question type or topic versus when practice and time are the real issue.

Let me know if you ever want to work together as we get closer to the Sept. test! Good luck!

I completely agree. I'm about to finish up my second time through. I would leave a few problem sets unfinished for drilling later on but if you're feeling like you need to do them than do it (its a lot easier now that all the sets are printable).

Be patient and absorb everything. Definitely look at the comments because there are some great explanations in there! Also don't be afraid to ask questions on the discussion boards! There are so many exceptional people on here! Lastly, watch the webinars!

Good luck and welcome to the family!

174 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    ...I would leave a few problem sets unfinished for drilling later on but if you're feeling like you need to do them than do it (its a lot easier now that all the sets are printable).

I hadn't thought of this and have just been cranking through problem sets/drills. How helpful have you found this so far? (Saving a couple problem sets for refresher use?

And off topic side note: Another piece of advice/info that might be helpful, I keep a binder with all the problem sets printed out and tabbed in it. Because that way when I drill I can drill with pencil and eraser on paper like the real LSAT and because that way I can keep a record of how I did on the drills.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Well I'm about to start the mastering phase. I wanted to have a few sets that I haven't seen at all since having seen a question before causes some bias. Now there are a few sections that I have used them all up because nothing was clicking.

I just feel its good to have later on to review and to sure up weaknesses as I PT's but like I said don't hold them back if you don't understand them well.

174 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    Well I'm about to start the mastering phase. I wanted to have a few sets that I haven't seen at all since having seen a question before causes some bias. Now there are a few sections that I have used them all up because nothing was clicking.

I just feel its good to have later on to review and to sure up weaknesses as I PT's but like I said don't hold them back if you don't understand them well.

It occurs to me you might also just be able to do this by using the Question Bank.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I essentially ended up doing most of the CC twice because the first time I sort of jumped around and thought the books I used before had prepared me for the "lawgic" and how to master this test. 7Sage's methods are different and newbie or not I think it is is best to just go in order.

So my best advice would be to just go in order. Take your time. If you don't understand something 100% -- re watch the lesson until you get it. Do a few of the problem sets until you feel like you're understand each question and getting them correct both timed and during blind review.

Next, start fool proofing logic games as soon as you can. It's a never ending process to master this test. However, with the LG you can generally get better just through following the Fool Proof Method in the CC.

Also do all the optional quizzes a few times a week just to keep sharp. You really want to absorb as much info about things like logic and anything JY tells you to memorize and have it in your subconscious. When the time pressure of real tests kick in, you won't have to think twice about the easy stuff.

tl;dr Just do it in order and do the problem sets. Time yourself and BR everything you do. And work consistently on logic games.

• fambam24fambam24 Member
    215 karma

Thanks so much to each one of you! this is all so helpful. Looking forward to participating in the community discussions more.

Def. want to connect with those studying for the September tests.

Best of luck to all!