Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sending an unsolicited Why "x" school letter?

Some of you know that my dream school is UTA, but my scores fall below the qualifications, and I am in that 0-10% range in LSAC for acceptance. I am not expecting miracles here, but I was wondering if I could push my chances up by a point by sending in a "Why UT?" essay to the admissions office?

If so, how do you go about that? Do you just send an e-mail attachment to the admissions office and title it with a "Why UT? Letter add on to admissions committee for consideration" type of thing? Also, if I wished to add an addendum , could I do the same?

My application was sent in about a month ago, and it's possible that I receive an answer soon. I may be too late, as a matter of fact. Still, in case I am not, are these things I should do? Or is it best to wait it out at this point?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

You can send a LOCI (Letter of Continued interest) Look up @david.busis 's lesson included in your admissions package. You could also add a Why X essay. If you haven't received an answer yet, it is not to late. Yes, email them those documents ASAP. However, make sure you format them, correctly and watch David's lessons on how to properly write Why X and LOCIs.

Good luck! Don't throw in the towel yet!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

Agreed. Go ahead and send it! If you're going to write something substantive—a page or more, say—you should attach it to an email. The subject line could be, "Interest in Texas Law" (assuming you mean UT Austin), and you could write, "...Attached, please find a supplemental essay about my strong interest in attending Texas Law. Thank you so much for your time and consideration."

Because the essay is unsolicited, however, you've got to make sure it's a damn fine one.

• texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma

Darn- I got jumpy and sent it in Sunday night.

I sent in a page and a quarter with the following-

Paragraph one going over what started out my interest in Ut- I met an alum who told me about the network, staff, etc.

Paragraph two about the campus visit, community, and how it connects to who I am and who I want to be as a legal professional.

Paragraph three- how I wish to connect the prior two paragraphs with some of the clinics on offer to excel as a lawyer, person, and leader.

This is the body of my email-

"Hello,

I submitted my application to Texas Law about a month ago, and am currently in review by the committee. I wanted to send along an extra attachment to the application to show my intent and enthusiasm towards pursuing my legal education at Texas Law. I do not mean to bother you, but I would like to pass this along in hopes it is made part of the admissions process.

Thank you for your consideration and time,

Vladimir"

605 karma

Thanks for your input, guys. It is much appreciated. I figured that I have no chance, but I may as well take a shot in the dark.

605 karma

Also, after being waitlisted about two weeks ago for fall, I am going to send in my "why Baylor" essay tomorrow, too.

605 karma

I received a response from the admissions team saying thanks and that it was added on.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Doesn't seem like you hurt your chances too much. I think it may have helped. Assuming you wrote it well-written and came across as sincere. Possibly visit if possible and write another LOCI if you can... if UT Austin is the dream school and it is feasible for you to go, sit in on a class or two, and write about why you would be a goof fit; specifically, things like I sat in on Prof X's Con Law class and was very interested in X and feel I would be honored to be part of such an intellectual and important discussion. IDK I'm spitballing here, obviously you can do better than that, but I'm just typing on my phone things in the vein where I think you could head..... Please, I implore you to watch @david.busis admissions course. The man knows his shit. He knows how it works and what doesn't work. you CAN send more than one letter of LOCI so long as you give it some time. David would know better than me, but first and foremost if you can visit, do so! And write about it.